Considering 05/06 Ls 430

skassamali

Hello all,

The wife and I were leaning heavily towards an MDX, but with the crappy gas mileage such a heavy car gets, it doesn't make too much sense. So I'm turning my attention to a large sedan, and I'm pleasantly surprised to learn the V8 powered LS430 gets in the mid 20s in mileage! My question is that is there anything I should be aware of in looking for this model vehicle? How are the maintenance costs on this vehicle? There's a local Lexus repair shop where I'd take the vehicle too, and it looks like the timing belt is not due until 90k. How is the storage room on this model year? It looks like a very roomy trunk?

Thanks for any advice!

Glad you're looking at the 05-06's! They are the best looking out of the 3rd gen ;) I know my 97 has gotten near 28mpg tops. and thats not 100% highway. I wouldn't be suprised if I could squeeze 29-30mpg out of her! They are amazing vehicles inside and out. Most bugs should have been worked out with the later model of the 3rd gen. Make sure it has maintinence records and been well kept. There is a TON of storage space, and lots of little compartments. I fell in love with my 1st Lexus (91 LS400) and now am on to my second (97 LS400). I hope to one day get a 430!

These cars last forever! You can't go wrong with an LS! B)

When you say "ton of storage space", how much junk would you say could fit back in the trunk? I'd like this to become the family car when we do have kids, and I'm hoping 2 kids plus their crap will all fit back there. Think 2/3 full size suitcases could go back there? I'm assuming the rear seats don't fold down right?

Thanks!

Glad you're looking at the 05-06's! They are the best looking out of the 3rd gen ;) I know my 97 has gotten near 28mpg tops. and thats not 100% highway. I wouldn't be suprised if I could squeeze 29-30mpg out of her! They are amazing vehicles inside and out. Most bugs should have been worked out with the later model of the 3rd gen. Make sure it has maintinence records and been well kept. There is a TON of storage space, and lots of little compartments. I fell in love with my 1st Lexus (91 LS400) and now am on to my second (97 LS400). I hope to one day get a 430!

These cars last forever! You can't go wrong with an LS! B)

well in my 97 I'd say 4 large suit cases and some oher smaller bags (backpacks, gym bags, purses, etc..) There is quite a bit of room. And in the 3rd gen there is even more.

I'm looking at 2 vehicles, both have the same specs. nav, ML sound, heated/cooled seats, blk/beige interior

1. 05 w/ 45k miles warranty expires 02/2009 - listed for $29,900

2. 05 w/ 35k miles but warranty expires 10/2008 listed for $31,998

Which one is the better deal and what is the max I should pay for either car?

Greetings. I just took possession of an 05 LS430. Mine had 34,700 miles on it and I believe I still have 1 additional year remaining. But you bring up an interesting question on expiration which I will check.

As for the car, it's awesome. I'm finding something each day that's new and exciting. The car drives like a dream and has just about every creature feature one could want. The trunk is extremely large IMO. It is considerably bigger than my recent 94 LS400. I don't see why you couldn't get plenty of luggage in there and probably a few sets of golf clubs. You might want to go look at one before you pull the trigger. Just to know if you will be happy with the various options and trunk size etc will give peace of mind.

As for price, well I think you can do a bit better. Keep an eye out on line for deals. There's plenty to be had. I found mine on ebay, called the guy and negotiated the deal (after I checked carfax as well as called the local Lexus dealership service dept with the Vin number).

I assure you once you go Lexus, you'll never consider anything else. I'm on my third and can't imagine driving anything else. Good luck.

The LS always had a pretty small trunk, it was one of its major downsides until the LS430, the trunk is significantly larger because they relocated the gas tank.

Buy away!

It looks like this Euro Auto Haas sells some upscale cars, so I don't think getting a lemon is likely. On the other hand, do you think it's worth waiting for a certified pre-owned from a dealer? Obviously quite a bit more money, but piece of mind? Since this one has warranty left, is it wise to buy an extended warranty for the car? Where have you guys looked for extended warranties? I went to test drive an ultra luxury model this afternoon and I was impressed. Trunk space was small since it had the rear a/c, so I peeked in an '06 to see the 20 cu. ft. of space.

We were looking at an mdx, but since it gets on avg around 13mpg, a large sedan seems like a better choice. I know I can't stuff the same amount of suitcases that I could in an mdx, but I'm think this will more than enough room for 2 kids + their crap :-).

Called the local dealer, and the one w/ 45k has been serviced religiously at the dealer through 42k. Is there anything to be drained/changed/rotated :) at 45k? The other vehicle w/ 35k hasn't had the 30k service done, which is a little worrisome, and the seller doesn't have the records. Do most of you do your maintenance work at the stealership? I have a local Lexus/Toyota repair shop where I think I'll be getting my work done, but it won't ever show up if I go to resell right?

Just hold onto the records.

I'd say you are making a wise decision in getting and '05 430. I just got mine from the dealer CPO 5yrs/125k. The car only had 19k miles with all records. So it was a deal in my mind at $38k even, including the cpo warranty. The only thing I should've considered was finding one fully optioned out, including the air susp. But my '93, that was just recently totaled (rear ended), didn't have all the bells and whistles and I was 110% happy with it. Good choice on Lexus. They will last forever. Let us know about your decision and good luck!

I called the nearest dealer to the current owner, and they are unwilling to do a pre-buy inspection for me. I live in Austin and the car is near Dallas, and I need peace of mind by getting it checked out in Dallas before purchasing it. What do you guys suggest? Should I take it to a normal repair shop and get it checked out? Obviously getting it looked at by a Lexus/Toyota expert is ideal..but if that's not an option? Also, would you guys recommend purchasing the extended warranty from Lexus?

Also, are there any non-standard maintenance items on the LS vs any other vehicle? I'm talking other than tires, which are obviously more expensive. I'm still fairly young, and don't want to get ourselves a vehicle we can't afford to maintain. Thanks in advance.

So in my attempt to irritate everyone with my never ending questions, I have one more. Sorry, I'm an Infiniti guy and so am learning a ton about Lexus daily :-).

The car w/ 45k was purchased at something called Lexus Line, which apparently is some sort of auction? My question is, does that mean that none of the Lexus dealers wanted this car and so it got auctioned? I'm trying to determine if this is a car that a dealer didn't want and didn't want to certify, so it was sold at an auction.

Its a pretty easy car to maintain, especially if you learn to do some of the maintenance issues yourself. They are pricey though. I'd buy the extended warranty, remember you can negotiate on the cost of it with the dealer.

As for the auction. Not for sure a bad thing. Maybe it was traded at a BMW dealer that didn't want to sell a Lexus for instance, so they sold it at auction...

Which specific ones are pricey? I called a local Lexus repair shop, and they charge $45 for an o/f change. It appears the only extra item every 15k is the differential fluid. Other than that, it should mostly be brakes and fluids right? At least until 90k when the timing belt and water pump are up for replacement.

Which specific ones are pricey? I called a local Lexus repair shop, and they charge $45 for an o/f change. It appears the only extra item every 15k is the differential fluid. Other than that, it should mostly be brakes and fluids right? At least until 90k when the timing belt and water pump are up for replacement.

I would absolutely get the extended warranty. I got one, as stated before, on my '05 CPO 5yrs/125k, through the lexus dealer. Get the carfax report with the vehicle. My car was sold to the dealer at an auction, but at 19k and records can't ask too much else. The car is in amazing shape, still had the new car smell. I'm young too, only 24, so I don't want to invest a lot into a car right now and I'd much prefer one that is hassle free. I plan to keep mine for longer than the warranty. To me regular maintenance is a must. Oil changes etc they will add up. But once you've paid for the car and its still clocking miles at 300k+ it will be worth every penny. Until someone hits you and totals it, as is the case on my '93. (sorry still angry about it)

I only mention the air susp cause I'm just curious to see how the ride differs and as always just want more of the lexus goodness. I do realize that down the road they are expensive to repair and I've only heard troubles about them. I wonder how the newer gens are, 07-08 on air ride. (the feel) I do enjoy the look of the sport package and I know that compromises the ride even with air susp. So much for curiousness though. I'm very delighted with my non-air susp.

I'm looking at 2 vehicles, both have the same specs. nav, ML sound, heated/cooled seats, blk/beige interior

1. 05 w/ 45k miles warranty expires 02/2009 - listed for $29,900

2. 05 w/ 35k miles but warranty expires 10/2008 listed for $31,998

Which one is the better deal and what is the max I should pay for either car?

depends on whether they have had paintwork. paintwork reduces the value substantially, as does mileage.

black shows dirt and needs to be washed all the time.

you should ask them to allow you to borrow the car so you can see what kind of gas mileage you will get. a little bit of city driving skews the mileage a lot. don't expect to get in the 20s for MPG without first running a test, otherwise you may be disappointed.

Also, are there any non-standard maintenance items on the LS vs any other vehicle? I'm talking other than tires, which are obviously more expensive. I'm still fairly young, and don't want to get ourselves a vehicle we can't afford to maintain. Thanks in advance.

The other thing prospective purchasers should be aware of is that this is an expensive automobile and the maintenance is correspondingly expensive. A dealer here in Cherry Hill charges $730 for the 30k service and about $1500 for the 90k service. The oil should be changed every 5k miles, and most dealers with tire rotation charge around $100 for this service.

You should not purchase an LS430 thinking that it is an economy car. It's not.