Suprised About The Difference Between 250/350

I own a IS 350 and I just had my 15k mile service. They gave me an IS 250 loaner (first time I drove a 250). In my oppinion its way under powered. From off the line acceleration was really weak. I expected some slowness, but the engine just seemed not able to handle what I wanted to do. I have to admit, I'm a little biased here, but for anyone deciding between them.... the 350 supplies me with ample power to drive how I want and fast enough for me. It just feels right. The 250 felt like it was struggling to get up to the speed limit from off-the-line.

Just my 2 cents... if its worth anything to anyone.

Jeff

You are comparing a 5 second car to a high 7 second car. The difference was to be expected.

I completely understand... I was just amazed that it was that much of a difference, I was expecting some, not that much though. Like you said 2 seconds, doesn't sound like that much.... it is.

Jeff.

So now you know the difference. It is well documented. Nearly 100 hp will give you that difference, in case you wondered.

My daily driver is a Subaru Legacy wagon. Has 170 hp. I've driven a Legacy GT with 250. You wanna talk about a difference! Sometimes I wish I got the GT, but everytime I fill up, I'm glad I can just run the regular. Unfortunately, even the IS 250 takes premium.

Unfortunately, even the IS 250 takes premium.

But it is way more fuel efficient than the LGT. I test drove a Legacy GT before buying the IS, and while I enjoyed the acceleration, it was for from refined. I also hesitated a lot between the g35 and IS250, but decided to forego acceleration in favor of fuel economy. In light of current gas prices, I stand by my decision.

I own a IS 350 and I just had my 15k mile service. They gave me an IS 250 loaner (first time I drove a 250). In my oppinion its way under powered. From off the line acceleration was really weak. I expected some slowness, but the engine just seemed not able to handle what I wanted to do. I have to admit, I'm a little biased here, but for anyone deciding between them.... the 350 supplies me with ample power to drive how I want and fast enough for me. It just feels right. The 250 felt like it was struggling to get up to the speed limit from off-the-line.

Jeff

I never had the pleasure of driving the 350. But since the day I test drove the 250, I felt it was underpowered. But with gas at $4.20 for premium and I drive 3000 miles a month...i will have to live with less power:(...but great looks!

Jeff

I had the same issue, (but was prepared for it), going from the Infiniti G35 coupe, to the IS 250.

I had the same issue, (but was prepared for it), going from the Infiniti G35 coupe, to the IS 250.

250 or 350, they are sexy! It's funny too, cause when I test drove the 250 and 350 it didn't seem too different... then again, I guess I didn't test drive them very much or very well :)

I drive about 1250 miles a month, more than average... thats one reason I wanted a luxury car! Makes the drive much more tolerable.

Jeff.

Personally, I never even considered the 250. I knew right away I would allways want the power. And I was right. I love the 350!

Personally, I never even considered the 250. I knew right away I would allways want the power. And I was right. I love the 350!

I'm surprised you even find it driveable after looking at your 300T specs. Talk about apples & oranges...

It's good for back and fourth to work. ;) The beast is going to be a track only car.

I wouldn't ever consider the IS 250, its a joke. The IS 350 is a totally different car. The 250 is a complete DOG IMO. The 350 is awesome. I looked at a black IS-F last sunday. SMOKIN, I wish I had the cash for that car.

I wouldn't ever consider the IS 250, its a joke. The IS 350 is a totally different car. The 250 is a complete DOG IMO. The 350 is awesome. I looked at a black IS-F last sunday. SMOKIN, I wish I had the cash for that car.

Then I guess most of us on this forum driving an ISX50 wasted our money on a complete joke of a dog car? It's not all about the HP--if it was, I'd be driving a Charger.

Says everything I need to know about you pal.

I think the joke is on you if that's what you think. :glare:

The 250 is a fine car for most things and most people I'm sure. It's a damn good looking car and if you can't afford the 350, Get the 250! I'm just saying, I wanted a fast luxury car and I got one. When I drove the 250, I was glad I picked the 350 because I don't think the 250 suits me. The IS-F is insane.

The charger doesn't have the luxury like the Lexus has, come on! I'm sure you could get a real fast car, but who cares if its not a Beamer, Lexus or Mercedes!

Let's keep the conversation about cars here, and not make this a personal issue.

Then I guess most of us on this forum driving an ISX50 wasted our money on a complete joke of a dog car? It's not all about the HP--if it was, I'd be driving a Charger.

Everyone places a different order on their priority lists. I agree, though, the IS250 isn't a joke or a dog, as it is still faster than an Audi A4 turbo, and a few others that I know of, and gets great gas mileage. But if you jumped from a 250 to the 350 and drove it A/B, I can easily see why those who haven't don't understand. :)

The 250 is a fine car for most things and most people I'm sure. It's a damn good looking car and if you can't afford the 350, Get the 250! I'm just saying, I wanted a fast luxury car and I got one. When I drove the 250, I was glad I picked the 350 because I don't think the 250 suits me. The IS-F is insane.

The charger doesn't have the luxury like the Lexus has, come on! I'm sure you could get a real fast car, but who cares if its not a Beamer, Lexus or Mercedes!

I think a 250 AWD comparably equiped is more then a IS 350... if not... its with a few grand one way or another... I don't think peoples decisions on this auto are all about horsepower. BUT the best part is not matter if you have the 250 or the 350... you get the rattles, squeaks and brake dust at no additional charge! That is what I find particuarly facsinating about the F...same basic engineering... but for 25K more... then I would be really *BLEEP*ed with a noisy dash....

My only complaint is that there is no cosmetic difference between the 250 and the 350. You can't tell what it is until you see the badge on the tail. With BMW for example, you can always tell the faster model because it has dual exhausts. The IS's are identical. As a 350 owner, I wish there was some separation...

My only complaint is that there is no cosmetic difference between the 250 and the 350. You can't tell what it is until you see the badge on the tail. With BMW for example, you can always tell the faster model because it has dual exhausts. The IS's are identical. As a 350 owner, I wish there was some separation...

Hmmm, now see, I'm the exact opposite. I like that they are the same. If fact, I wish the ISF looked just like the 250 and 350 also. Just because then they have to wonder which one you have.......and it's up to you if want to let them know.....or not. ;)

Hmmm, now see, I'm the exact opposite. I like that they are the same. If fact, I wish the ISF looked just like the 250 and 350 also. Just because then they have to wonder which one you have.......and it's up to you if want to let them know.....or not. ;)

I just give em a ride and let em guess :) On that same note, I can hardly tell between BMW's too, I usually look at the back for the tag.

Hey, I noticed the 250 shaked a bit when I sitting stopped, is that normal? Maybe they just gave me a bum 250.

Jeff.

Jeff

ok dude the 350 has too much power. when i drive in the city from red light to red light i feel like throwing up. when i accelerate i get thrown back into my seat...and when i brake i fly forward into my steering wheeling...

the 350 is good for racing and off the light starts....ASSUMING theres not another red light close coming.

250 is more realistic for city and day to day commute.

ok dude the 350 has too much power. when i drive in the city from red light to red light i feel like throwing up. when i accelerate i get thrown back into my seat...and when i brake i fly forward into my steering wheeling...

the 350 is good for racing and off the light starts....ASSUMING theres not another red light close coming.

Are you smashing the accelerator when you see a green light? LOL. It does take a bit getting use to, my friends are always laughing about that too. I'm not sure thats a bad thing though, but I don't drive in the city... so I could definately see where that could be an issue.

Jeff.

Jeff

You have to get your foot educated. Then it's ok.