2jz Supercharger Inquiry

Lextech2k3

ehh i'm looking to not have any lag and not have to put nitrous on this thing...i've heard rumour of a centrifugal kit for 4500 or so but i don't know where from....you supose a kit for an IS would work...you'd think i'd know that answer but i really don't.

Lag is a matter of perspective. The inline six begs for a turbo. Turbo's can be sized and specified to respond however the application is desired. My car has a t3/t4 that starts boosting around 2k hits full at 3,500 and pulls strong to 6. Depending on controller settings and how hard the accelerator is hit. Carry boost through the shift - there is just much more potential to the turbo. If a SC is really desired - by all means go for it. But I don't recommend it.

There are terms more accurate than lag, like flow chart, efficiency range, surge line, a/r ratio, shaft size, turbine/compressor size, housing size, bearing type, porting, gating, venting, max boost threshold, and much more. These are things that will contribute to the online effect of the turbo and boost. I really feel that term lag is a poor descriptor. Of course, a turbo runs of exhaust gas. A supercharger is linear and driven off the crank with all the parasitic and inefficient things that go with it. There are positives and negatives to both. I think if the research is done, one will find that a turbo is the option to go with - especially with our motor. In my opinion, turbo is always the option to go with no matter what the application is. A turbo or two can always go bigger and badder.

I have the GS. I run the SRT stage 3 turbo. Mine comes in at 2200 rpm and pulls strong through the band. Tuning is able to get the boost in where you like ( at the right shop ) who knows what the :censored: their doing. Turbo runs smooth like glass on the 2jz. Like above the motor was ment to be turbo charged. I run up to 12 lbs boost. I have had to add other support goodies to do that but man, your cheaks feel it ( both sets )! :blink:

Most people that run superchargers end up putting nitrous on their cars anyways, since superchargers have a tendency to die out at higher rpm's. Of course this is on Hondas/Acuras. I'm not sure how the 2J or 1U would take to supercharging. Probably a lot like the Z33, or the Maxima, which I've heard is a great engine when blown. I'm sure the 1U is a great motor to supercharge. The 2J would probably work out also, but that motor just screams turbo. With the right turbo set up, as AJ said you can get boost at idle if you really wanted. It wouldn't hold until redline, but there's always a good mixture to be found. A turbo setup that usually begins to spool around 2-2,500 rpms is usually good until about 7,500 at full boost. All depends on the angle of the clip and the port job. There are tons of tricks you can do to coax a turbo into spooling faster and along with that comes a lower efficiency range, which is alright. It's all in how you drive the car, and what you want.

i like the sound of a turbo or supercharged engine. my sc400 has almost zero haul in the low rpms, but it does pull pretty hard at about 3200. does anyone have a good tip or story bout a supercharged sc400 that they'd like to share?

xoom4 - there is a video of a supercharged SC4 from across the pond somewhere. I'll see if I can dig it up. I heard there was something definite coming available for the 1uz aftermarket a couple months ago. I think there was a link somewhere. I'll try to dig it up.

The supercharger is probably easier to do than turbo on the 1uz due to space issues. Twin turbos on the SC4 seem to have to be mounted lower than the oil pan in order to fit and this causes lots of problems like oil return issues, down pipe and ground clearance, and what not. A single turbo SC4 would be more ideal in my opinion but then where to put it? It would be expensive to do as it is one off. A lot of items have to be relocated I think. The only issue with the Supercharger (provided you can get a kit) is getting the hood to close - and I think the guys solved it. The Lextreme website also has some good information.

But if anyone here has some stories, I'd like to read them too. B)

DANG THAT'S A LOT OF INFO..whew thanks guy...well i think i'm gonna start learning turbos...and some computer tuning it sounds...hey as far as the superchager for a 1uz i've seen it done with a centrifugal supercharger like they put on the rouche mustangs..(i don't know if that car was ever exported but if you are from the states you should know what that is)...either way the smaller supercharger can be front mounted i believe above the power steering pump somewhere....the one i saw run just simply screemed down the track too....turbocharging that engine is basically pointless...lexus never put more than a few inches on either side of that engine on anything it went into...

hey if anyone has any links that will help explain the in's and outs of turbocharging..whether it's lexus/toyota specific or not..i would be very greatfull...and if anyone has any mechanical questions about any toyota or lexus they have PM me and i'll see if i can answer them.

Thanks for all the good advise,

Tyler

2JZGE = Turbo

1UZFE = Supercharged = Easy

1UZFE = twin Turbo= Dont try it. Been there done that.

1UZFE = Single Trubo = Relocate battery, fuse box and AC compressor. Its doable. Very near future plan.

That is all i can say. Listen to AWJ... he is right on the points.

Thanks guys...when i get some cash (some time maybe next century, maybe :( ) i'll make sure to look into turbo charging it....however i want to ask a personal opinion of you guys....single or twin? i'm told that if i put twin on my engine i'll likely blow the bottom end out when i bottle feed it....is this true? I've heard round the campfire that you can put roughly a grand of rwhp under the hood of these things with the stock bottom end....dunno if it's true...(and i call myself a toyota guy :chairshot: )....well hey thanks ahead of time for any answers you can give me.

I really do appreciate the help!

-Tyler

Twin/single - if your going custom on the ge - just do a single. Most twin turbo guys switch to single anyways for points that are too detailed to cover in one post. After a lot of research - you'll see that for most applications, a properly sized single will out do most twins for the money. But twins are cool. Just more expensive - think almost double everything for most powerplants. The ge is a blessing in that it is an inline - much more friendly.

You want to hit the bottle too? Wow, a whole new problem set. Not at all impossible but that changes the set-up. Understand the turbo before thinking about juicing it. 1,000 hp on stock bottom end? No way. You'd be lucky to hit 600. But not that lucky. It has been done. But heads lift, bearings spin, trannies shred - it all depends on boost, flow, and a/r. Then there is the driver and tuning equation. Lots of stuff my man. Feel free to ask more specific questions in another thread. Maybe I'll start some in the future, or if you like - please feel free. We have a couple other guys here that know turbo and motors much better than myself. I'm waiting for them to chime in as well.

One good book to start with - Maximum Boost by Corky Bell

Read it - as many times as it takes. Keep it. Worship it.

Thanks Lextreme.

The crank probably would. Anything over 500 is going to warrant the consideration of taking the head off and doing some tinkering. It is just plain good measure. I always recommend starting small - you know 350 rwhp. (If that is considered small - more than most sports at the wheels)

well my year end goal (04 not 03) is 350rwhp through my stock auto trans...later down the road i'll reinforce that and go for 640rwhp....but i think anything more than that and my car will be incapable of being a sleeper anymore (keeping my car looking stock at a stoplight is my ultimate goal)....besides how much power do you really need on a daily driver..right??? ;) ....btw speaking of starting small...anyone know a really good sounding exhaust that won't be restrictive once i throw all this power on it? Oh. and a question for down the road....is there such a thing as an aftermarket head for one of these that flows better maybe? i don't know that it has a problem in that department.... and that may be why i've never heard of one.... but i'm just wondering if such a beast exists..

thats why you have two settings done on your turbo one setting @8psi and another @18psi for daily driver and the high power for i just got yelled at by my boss and need to take it out on the road kind of day......or just plain fun :lol: