How Many Coolant Hoses?

artbuc

99 RX300

Want to change out all rubber coolant hoses as preventative maintenance. Know about upper/lower radiator, heater and IACV hoses. Are there any others? Seems like I remember reading posts which mention a coolant hose which becomes accessible when changing out trans speed sensors? Thanks.

Let me ask a slightly different question. My RX is 9 1/2 years old with 88k miles. Still has all original coolant hoses.

Has anyone out there had a coolant hose failure? If so, which hose failed and what was the age/mileage of your RX when it gave out?

I'm starting to think that the smaller diameter hoses (all hoses other than upper/lower radiator) may last the life of the vehicle. I'm thinking that because they have thick walls relative to their inside diameter.

PS. I think the by-pass hose I asked about in my first post became accessible during replacement of knock sensors, not speed sensors.

I am on my original hoses too, a little nervous about it, I will change the radiator hoses for sure... bought my lexus in November of 1998 and have 151k miles...

I am on my original hoses too, a little nervous about it, I will change the radiator hoses for sure... bought my lexus in November of 1998 and have 151k miles...

Thanks Lenore. Judging by the lack of response, I assume coolant hoses are generally reliable for the life of the vehicle. Modern cars are just so much more reliable than the cars I grew up with. When I started driving in 1966, coolant hoses didn't last very long - seemed like I was replacing heater hoses on my old 55 Chevy on a regular basis. Today, I think I do way too much preventive maintenance on my cars.

For example, I still replace brake fluid and coolant every two years (less than 24k miles in my case) and change oil & filter every 3k miles. I'm also doing 2 drain & fills (10 qts total) on the trans every 10-15k miles. I'm sure I could save time and money by extending these intervals but I just can't bring myself to do it.