Future Owner

We are just now deciding what SUV to buy and we are very uncertain. We are thinking about rx400. Only two concerns : 1)We usually go skiing to Crans Montana in the Swiss Alps and must drive uphill for twenty miles. I understand rx400 is not a real AWD, could l that be a problem with snow and ice on the roads even with snow tires ? 2) do batteries suffer with cold weather ? Finally if anyone experienced rx400 with snow and ice would You buy it again ?

Thank You !

Hello and welcome, Laura! Seeing that you are from Italy, have you any plans to tour the Tyrolean Alps?

Regarding snow traversing, you might want to peruse these posts:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...ighlite=%2Bsnow

Best regards,

Dave

I live in Colorado...drive all the time in the mountains....no problem with the 400h. The stock battery can be a problem. Either get a replacement (like an optima) or keep a charger in your car and you are good to go.

Hello and welcome, Laura! Seeing that you are from Italy, have you any plans to tour the Tyrolean Alps?

Best regards,

Dave

Thank You Dave ! I really appreciate your hints. Can You tell me also something about having a stock battery or a charger as "Stateman" suggested?

By the way we will be driving this summer to the Tyrolean Alps, hopefully not traversing any snow storm !

Laura

I drive in snow(2nd snowiest season on record this year) and mountains frequently and have had no problem getting around in the 400h. I will say that snow tires are a "must" and of course driver "technique" in snow goes a long way. I won't hesitate to purchase another.

on a side note, the stock michilens are garbage in the snow/rain. I just swapped mine out for Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow tires, and I couldn't be happier. These things are amazing! Much stiffer ride than stock, the lexus actually drives like an SUV now, not a cadillac anymore. By the way, I went with 255/55/18 (only $148 a piece from tire rack). The dry grip is amazing, I can actually corner now without worry about my RX tipping over

Best regards,

Dave

Thank You Dave ! I really appreciate your hints. Can You tell me also something about having a stock battery or a charger as "Stateman" suggested?

By the way we will be driving this summer to the Tyrolean Alps, hopefully not traversing any snow storm !

Laura

Laura,

It could be that Statman's battery was a clunker, as I have not read of mass failures in this forum. My ancestors are from Italy/Sicily, so I hope to take my family there some day. Enjoy the Alps!

Dave