Oil Service

OK so I'm just off the boat as they used to say but service every 5K miles!! You couldn't sell a car in Europe with a service interval of at least 12K. So what's wrong with the oils here in USA. Nothing from what I can gather, they are the same synthetic oils used all over the world (except Pennzoil, I had never seen that name till I came here). Lexus UK has a service interval of 12k miles. Surely with modern sythetic oils & the claims of the oil companies this is a little garage money spinner.

Does everyone actually do the oil change every 5k? It's not the cost it's the inconvenience to always find a dealer who even at the best takes an hour.

OK so I'm just off the boat as they used to say but service every 5K miles!! You couldn't sell a car in Europe with a service interval of at least 12K. So what's wrong with the oils here in USA. Nothing from what I can gather, they are the same synthetic oils used all over the world (except Pennzoil, I had never seen that name till I came here). Lexus UK has a service interval of 12k miles. Surely with modern sythetic oils & the claims of the oil companies this is a little garage money spinner.

Does everyone actually do the oil change every 5k? It's not the cost it's the inconvenience to always find a dealer who even at the best takes an hour.

Good point. We are encouraged to change our oil every 3-6 months, regardless of mileage, which I feel is ridiculous. What's the difference between oil sitting in a can on a shelf, and oil sitting in the crankcase in your garage?

I change oil based on mileage only....usually every 5000 miles or so.

My understanding is that synthetics are good for 10k miles. Even so, I change mine at 6-7k. Mine is due, in a couple of months, for a free 5k service with oil change.

Lexus doesn't use synthetic oil, at least none of the local dealers do in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area do. They all use Lexus Mobil Non-Synthetic 5w30. I always thought it was synthetic but someone on the forum corrected me. I called all 3 dealers in my area and got the same answer. By the way, it's the same stuff they put in Toyotas.

I believe they may use synthetic in the LS460. I always use synthetic, the dealers do have it and will use it if you ask, but the markup per quart is extreme so i buy it myself.

I'd change it every 5k, that way you'll never have any issues with the warranty or at resale time.

They should be using Toyota synthetic in the Red bottle. But who knows what happens when you drop your car off. Maybe the oil change tech uses it in his car. LOL :P

Recent email to me from Lexus UK

"Thank you for your email to Lexus GB.

In response to your recent query, I can state that your Lexus LS will have an Intermediary service every 10,000 miles and the full service is every 20,000 miles. "

• 2 years later...
They should be using Toyota synthetic in the Red bottle. But who knows what happens when you drop your car off. Maybe the oil change tech uses it in his car. LOL :P

Recent email to me from Lexus UK

"Thank you for your email to Lexus GB.

In response to your recent query, I can state that your Lexus LS will have an Intermediary service every 10,000 miles and the full service is every 20,000 miles. "

UK miles are half that of US miles :cheers:

Good point. We are encouraged to change our oil every 3-6 months, regardless of mileage, which I feel is ridiculous. What's the difference between oil sitting in a can on a shelf, and oil sitting in the crankcase in your garage?

The difference between oil in a can and oil in your crankcase is that there is no water in the oil in the can. Internal combustion produces carbon monoxide and water; you may even see some water coming out of your tailpipe. That water can get into your crankcase, and if it sits there long enough, produces hydrochloric acid that can corrode internal engine parts. Highway driving for 30 minutes or so usually eliminates any residual water in the crankcase. Short trips without the engine getting fully warmed up and running for less than 30 minutes are problematic. I get my LS460's oil and filter changed every 5,000 miles at my Toyota dealer with a coupon for $17.95. They use the same genuine Toyota filter and oil that my Lexus dealer uses in their $47.95 oil change. The only difference is the coffee in their lounge and the men's room decor. See this link: http://www.canadiandriver.com/2002/04/03/auto-tech-short-trip-driving.htm

I have been talking with my Lexus Service Advisor Re; a 460 I'm looking at. She verified that at least, at this dealership, they use 9 quarts of synthetic oil in the LS460. In my ES, they recommend an oil change once a year.

The difference between oil in a can and oil in your crankcase is that there is no water in the oil in the can. Internal combustion produces carbon monoxide and water; you may even see some water coming out of your tailpipe. That water can get into your crankcase, and if it sits there long enough, produces hydrochloric acid that can corrode internal engine parts. Highway driving for 30 minutes or so usually eliminates any residual water in the crankcase. Short trips without the engine getting fully warmed up and running for less than 30 minutes are problematic. I get my LS460's oil and filter changed every 5,000 miles at my Toyota dealer with a coupon for $17.95. They use the same genuine Toyota filter and oil that my Lexus dealer uses in their $47.95 oil change. The only difference is the coffee in their lounge and the men's room decor. See this link: http://www.canadiandriver.com/2002/04/03/auto-tech-short-trip-driving.htm

At that price it cannot be synthetic oil.Factory requires synthetic at 5K period. If you want to sell your car in a ad I would want to see the records for your oil changes.