Factory "lexus" (toyota) Struts Say "kyb". Thought

90LS400Lexus

I am replacing the "KYB" struts that the previous owner had installed before I bought the car, (according to the receipt) with geniune "Lexus-Toyota" struts. I have been under the impression that " KYB " and " Toyota-Lexus " struts were totally different. I thought that "KYB" was a aftermarket high performance strut. I just noticed something strange to me just a few moments ago however. I took the Lexus (Toyota) struts out of the trunk of my Buick and placed them in the trunk of the Lexus, so they would be there when I took it to the shop. Before doing so- before I took them out of the trunk of the Buick- I opened one of the packages to see what they looked like. They do say "TOYOTA" on them, as well as a lot of Japanese letters, but I noticed at the bottom it reads "K Y B". What is going on here? Are they the same? I bought the Lexus-Toyota struts, as the rear suspension of my car seems to be way too firm for a LS400. If I have these Toyota struts installed, is my car still going to have that overly firm ride, or does KYB make two different types of struts (supple factory and performance)? I would hate to pay $110 for these struts and then $90 installation, only to have the same ride. ANY information appreciated.

Toyota sources its parts from many different suppliers, including KYB and Tokico.

However, shocks can come in many different flavors, and only KYB has more than 4 - 5 different shock types, some are more sporty, some are more focused on comfort.

It difficult to say if the new shocks have a completely different ride then your current shocks.

Perhaps first thing you need to do is to evaluate your existing ride. Why do you want to change you shocks? Don't you like the ride/comfort/handling? Are the current shocks worn and due to replacement?

The struts that are on there have only been on there for about 6 months. They were put on by the previous owner before they sold it. According to the receipt- all it says is "KYB struts" $79.95 each. I think the car rides too much like a sports car, with a firm rear suspension, which is why I went to Lexus/Toyota to get factory struts, to get a softer ride. Then I discovered "KYB" on the Toyota struts. I am assuming that the struts on it now are performance struts. ??????

i don't know how your LS does ride but it should ride like you are on a cushion of air...if it does not then you will deffinately want to change your struts...also make sure that the guy didn't try to put some springs on it also...though that doesn't sound to be the case.

Thanks. It definetely does not ride like its on a cushion. The front suspension seems soft and supple, but not floaty. The rear suspension is quite firm and picks up a lot of bumps. The previous owner had them installed about 6 months ago- (3000 miles). The only thing it says on the receipt is "KYB struts - rear" $79.99 each and installation $50.00 per strut. The receipt did not say anything about new springs. I am hoping it is only fact that these are performance aftermarket struts. I would hate to pay $90 labor to have these installed only to have the same harsh ride. When I test drove my Lexus, I thought that the ride was a little firm for a LS400, as I have ridden in my aunts 1990 LS400 and was sure that it had a soft, cushy ride. Thanks again.

So, now you have the original shocks in front and KYB shocks for the rear?

did the previous owner also change the rear springs?

Probably there is a mismatch between the front and rear shocks/springs. Different brands, spring rates, ...

I suggest that you first find out what exactly has been changed, and what not. Also, if you are going to replace the rear shocks, you might as well replace the front shocks with the same brand/type. If your front shocks are worn, the rear shocks may overcompensate the balance of the car.

I think the front struts are original. According to that receipt, the springs was not changed when the struts and brakes were installed. If they did indeed change the springs, would that make the ride firm? Do they make a "comfort" spring and "performance" spring? I took a look at the struts and springs this evening and both are black and look like standard parts. I did notice that one of the rubber coverings over one of the struts are torn. Could this indicate original springs?

If my car needs new springs, how much labor is involved in that?

I also tried pressing on the rear of my car and the rear is difficult to press down.

Any additional advice appreciated.

replacing only the shocks or replacing the shocks and springs normally takes about the amount of labour, so i do not expect any much additional labour cost.

In my opinion, if you are still on your original front shocks I would consider to replace these as well, such that you will have all four shocks on all 4 corners.

The front ones may have been changed before. The front suspension seems supple and comfortable, but still providing excellent handling, without excessive bounce.

Is there any way I can tell if the rear springs are original? Are the performance springs thicker? The springs on my car look thin, but as mentioned, the rear will not press down easily.

I just called the Lexus dealer and the rear springs are $100.15 each, so I really do not want to replace these unless I absolutely have to. If I replace the struts and it still has a firm ride, is there a way to weaken the springs? When I press down on the rear of the car- it does not want to go down

too much. Could this be a indicator that it is the springs, or could the firm struts still cause this?

I just want the smoothest ride possible. I was behind a 1995-97 LS400 today and it was floating over the bumps like it was on a cloud. My rear of my car was not absorbing the bumps nearly as good as the other LS400. I know for a fact that my car did not come from the factory with a ride this firm. I wish the previous owner had of left the original struts on this car. I called the shop and they said to bring it tomorrow and it will be done by the time that they close @ 6. Any additional information greatly appreciated.

Well, my car is at the shop getting the struts replaced as I type this. I only hope that it is indeed the struts and not the springs that are giving it the overly firm ride. If not, I will have to pay $200 for springs, then probably another $90 to have them installed. I told the mechanic to check the struts that are on it and if they are the Toyota struts- not to change them as it would obviously be the springs causing it. I just keep thinking that if the owner had the springs replaced, that they would have done so when the struts was replaced. Nothing about the springs was on the receipt- only the brakes, tires and struts, belts (as needed) and 4-wheel alignment.

**ALSO** Will I need to have my car re-aligned from having rear struts installed, or is that only for the front?

To further update- the new Toyota struts are installed and the car once again has a soft, smooth ride. The struts that were on it were indeed high performance "KYB" struts. They are gray and the ones I just installed are black. The rear end will press down much easier and the suspension absorbs a lot more bumps. I guess the car now has a ride like it had 13 years ago.

I am interested to know however- what all in the interior has to be removed to change the rear strust? Someone said rear seat only, but someone else said rear seat and package shelf. I would like to know what all parts, so I can inspect it tomorrow in the light, to see if anything was damaged. I think all is well however. At least the ride is smooth again.

Thanks again for all of the replies.