97 Ls 400

Brode

Hello everyone. I'm a newbie on the block and looking for some advice. I have the opportunity to buy a 97 LS 400 for $600. Motor sounds good idling.

The catch: 226,000 miles. Transmission rebuilt a year ago, no reverse or forward. No warranty. Heated seats not working, radio has short, rear suspension issues.

Should I invest?

Thank for your suggestions.

Glenn

Sounds good to me. 226K isn't too much...there are lots of people who have many more miles than that on their cars, and still use them as daily drivers. I have a friend with a 1994 LS with 303K miles, still looks and drives great.

For that price, you could fix all the problems and still get an excellent deal on a great car.

Sounds good to me. 226K isn't too much...there are lots of people who have many more miles than that on their cars, and still use them as daily drivers. I have a friend with a 1994 LS with 303K miles, still looks and drives great.

For that price, you could fix all the problems and still get an excellent deal on a great car.

Thanks! It's mine then.

Thanks! It's mine then.

Great. We like pictures. :)

Sounds like a great deal for $600. What are all the repairs that need done? Any warranty on the tranny rebuild??

And I second that call for pics ;)

Well found out it's a 95 not 97. Still a good buy?

One year warranty on trans. Went out in 6 months then 13 months later. No warranty.

Well found out it's a 95 not 97. Still a good buy?

One year warranty on trans. Went out in 6 months then 13 months later. No warranty.

I still think it's a pretty good buy. You could fix the transmission, suspension and other problems for a lot less than the $6-7000 the car would be worth otherwise.

Hope you're not expecting the tranny to be your only concern

based on the engine sounding good while idling. I'd be prepared

to spend some money, as Thomas suggests. If you can't drive it,

you won't know what else might need an infusion of cash.

Good luck, and as everyone has already mentioned, LOC loves

pics. :cheers:

Personally, I think you need to consider what you're willing to spend totally on the car. If it's going to be in the thousands, then consider looking around. Seems this car keeps changing stats with each post. Not that 225,000 is too many miles, but if you are going to put more than $3k into it, is it worth it? For a little more you could probably find another Lexus with lower miles. Just my two cents.

In all honesty it may very well be a good deal...but....

You could find a great condition 2nd gen LS somewhere for maybe a couple grand MORE than fixing one that's all busted...

I flew to SLC, UT to buy my 97 LS for $7250. 135k miles, great condition. Last December. Now she has about 144k miles and nothing but general maintinence. The same car where I live up in WA would probably be about $11-13g.

or even get a UCF10-II for like 3-5g.

Just remember, "My mamma told me, you better shop around"!