Detailed- 1996 Chevy Cavalier

Ok first, allow me to start by saying, this was a GIANT undertaking, as you will see in the pix. This was a paint restoration, and I am still not done, this will be a 2 parter that i will complete later this week. The bottom line is, i know some of you think i wasted my time and product on this car, but when you hear the story, you will see why i agreed.

A coworker of mine bet me i could not fix the paint on his 96 cavi. (this coming after a confident detailer...myself...was conversing with another coworker/client and he overheard). I told him i was confident i can fix most things, but there are some things only a repaint can fix. he bet me $100 and a 30gb Zune MP3 Player (I have an ipod, but what the hey). he paid up front and we got started on friday. here are some before pix:

DSC00626_Medium_.JPG

DSC00624_Medium_.JPG

DSC00628_Medium_.JPG

DSC00635_Medium_.JPG

DSC00629_Medium_.JPG

DSC00630_Medium_.JPG

After a washing, but before wax, we decided the door trim and ESPECIALLY those goofy SS vinyl's that were on the car when he bought it for $500 had to go especially since everyone knows that in 1996...they didnt make an SS cavalier...or any year that i know of for that matter. only the Z24 and it had a factory body kit, manual trans and a whole slew of other goodies (RIMS) that this car doesnt have. oh, and he wanted to go naked steel wheels instead of hubcaps...whatever dude, your car LOL. We also debadged.

After wash, clay and Megs. ScratchX

DSC00625_Medium_.JPG

DSC00632_Medium_.JPG

DSC00631_Medium_.JPG

and...the final product:

DSC00637_Medium_.JPG

DSC00638_Medium_.JPG

DSC00642_Medium_.JPG

DSC00640_Medium_.JPG

DSC00641_Medium_.JPG

He says he is going to DIY some tint next weekend, and that will be about all he wants to do besides maintain it. not bad for a winter beater (salt sux)

His other car is a honda S2K

Materials used:

Megs Gold Class Soap

Megs Claybar

Megs Quick Detailer

Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover

Goo Gone

Megs ScratchX

Megs ColorX

Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound

Turtle Wax Polishing Compound

Megs #16

Megs #24

some off brand paint sealant i got at wal-mart...we will see how it works

Coleman Orbital Polisher

Fine Steel wool

1500, 2000 and 2500 grit sandpaper

Simple Green

Megs Hot Shine tire shine

and i think thats it. LOL

I dont have a PC, but i do have a coleman...and it works wonders too. i could do more with a PC, but i am still doing my research on which one to purchase.

We gotta get you some better products. ScratchX and ColorX are fine for by hand touch-ups but you can do much more with better products.

yeah, i feel like im using these 2 to the fullest extent...