Poor Gas Mileage

Hello all! Newb here. I've got a 2002 ES 300 which I just purchased from my mother. It only has 20,000 miles. Driven regularly, just not very far. Anyway, I'm only getting 20.5 mpg in the city and about 22 on the highway. That is with very smooth driving and cruising at 78 on the interstate. The car runs completely fine, though it seems a little hard to start (takes about two seconds of cranking). It has no history of mechanical problems, and has only ever had shell or exxon premium fuel. Is this mileage normal? If not, any ideas how to get it back to normal?

Thanks!

Hello all! Newb here. I've got a 2002 ES 300 which I just purchased from my mother. It only has 20,000 miles. Driven regularly, just not very far. Anyway, I'm only getting 20.5 mpg in the city and about 22 on the highway. That is with very smooth driving and cruising at 78 on the interstate. The car runs completely fine, though it seems a little hard to start (takes about two seconds of cranking). It has no history of mechanical problems, and has only ever had shell or exxon premium fuel. Is this mileage normal? If not, any ideas how to get it back to normal?

Thanks!

Your city mileage seems OK, but highway should be more.

Where are you getting these numbers from? I mean, are you looking at the info display in the car itself, or are you filling up the tank and dividing the number of miles driven by gallons of fuel used?

When you are cruising at 78, what is the reading for your instantaneous MPG display?

If your doing 78 MPH, I am not suprised by the 22 your getting.....slow it down a bit. Also check your tire pressure.

The hard starting might mean you need to have your throttle body cleaned considering the very low mileage & I assume very short trips.

:cheers:

you may just have some carbon build up in the cylinders also. 5 years of very short trips? That's actually the hardest miles you can put on a car. If you just got it, give it some time and throttle it hard on the on ramps to blow out some of that. Also, take the negative terminal off the battery for about 15-20 minutes, and then reconnect it. That will reset the ECU and the car will relearn your driving habits faster. That should help some also.

Thats normal for an 02-03 ES. Part of the reason why the engine was refreshed in 04 was to help poor fuel economy.

I get 17-18 around town, 19-20 in mixed driving, maybe 23 or 24 on an extended highway trip.

• 4 weeks later...
Thats normal for an 02-03 ES. Part of the reason why the engine was refreshed in 04 was to help poor fuel economy.

I get 17-18 around town, 19-20 in mixed driving, maybe 23 or 24 on an extended highway trip.

I have a 2001 ES300 and have always attained 28mpg on interstate at 70mph. Get 20mpg in strictly short trip local driving. Only have 36,000 miles on it.

I have a 2001 ES300 and have always attained 28mpg on interstate at 70mph. Get 20mpg in strictly short trip local driving. Only have 36,000 miles on it.

Mileage is better on the 2001 because of smaller/lighter body. I had a 97 and got better mileage than my '02.

Currently on my '02 I am getting ~23 with 70% city 30% hwy driving

• 14 years later...

Hi , I'm hoping for an answer to my Lexus 2005 ES330 . I just put in new Denso

coils  iridium spark pugs engine air filter cleaned the MAF sensor, car started hesitating

when going up hills. Getting terrible gas mileage and still hesitating  Any information

please.Thankyou Tom Has 130.000 miles always oil changed and maintained