Remote Key Issue

I just got a used 98 GS400. I was trying to change the battery for the key and I damage the remote. I contacted few local dealers but the price was different. one dealer told me it'll cost $200 to cut the key and $57 to reprogram. another dealer said the same thing but they also said that the main computer chip had to be replaced and the cost for that is $1600. since it was too much I found a lock-smith that will make another key with programming done for $350. I didn't think he was able to do it but he did. only thing is... he was not able to program the actual remote for lock/unlock/trunk button. is there another way to program the remote not the kill switch? only way he knew how to do it was to push the auto lock back and forth 5 times...

help~

how did u damage it? i change dmy battery just fine! oh someone on here should be able to walk u through programming your remote.........i will be doing mine shortly so share the info please

brian

This is what I have saved from an earlier thread on how to program the key remote but haven't had to use it for I've been lucky being able to change the battery w/o breaking it. Good luck.

. Close and lock all doors. Unlock and open drivers door.

2. Put key into ignition and remove. Do not turn it on.

3. Using the door electric lock switch above inside handle. Lock and unlock 5 times. (Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)

4. Close and open drivers door.

5. Using the door electric lock switch above inside handle. Lock and unlock 5 times. (Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)

6. Put key into ignition. Turn to "ON" , turn off and remove.

7. You will see the door locks cycle by themselves.

If the door locks do not cycle (lock and unlock) by themselves then the car isn’t in programming mode and you must start over.

8. On the remote, press and hold the LOCK and the UNLOCK button at the same time for no more than 2 seconds.

9. On the remote, press the LOCK button for no more than 1 second.

AT THIS POINT, the locks should cycle by themselves ONE time. This means the procedure was accepted.

IF the locks cycle twice it has failed.

The most common reason for programming failure is because the car didn’t receive a good signal from the remote. To fix this problem try these tips. 1) Stand outside of the car while you are performing steps 8 and 9. 2) Don’t hold the remote buttons down as long.

As long as the car is still in programming mode you can keep trying steps 8 and 9 until you complete the programming. If you wait too long and the car exits the programming mode then you must start over.

After you get the remote to program then continue on with step 10.

10. Close and open door to end programming procedure.

My key remote is having another problem. I just changed the battery and everything went smoothly. I did not damage the key or transmitter. The problem is the Unlock button does not work (no red light on key head) unless I press the Lock button first. If I press Lock, then press Unlock the transmitter works (locks and then unlocks) the car. But I can't just press Unlock on the key head once to unlock the car. Any idea what the problem is?

not from this guy but did you think about trying to reprogram the remote again? i changed my battery and had no problems with any of the buttons working or anything after that!

brian

CRAP I dont have a small screwdriver to take the plate of........the size is listed on the battery! had to get it at the dealer as no place i went to has it but toyota also sells it, i THINK radioshack sells it!

brian

CRAP I dont have a small screwdriver to take the plate of........the size is listed on the battery! had to get it at the dealer as no place i went to has it but toyota also sells it, i THINK radioshack sells it!

brian

I had a key that was broken by a car wash place ( I know don't start) but anyway I bought a new key from the Lexus dealer 180$ and the service gal( whom I sweet talked) took the "chip " from my old key and put in the new key and volila no reprogramming fee $200t and it works fine just like the old key with all the old programs intact. Maybe this helps?? ;)

what kind of battery does it take?

Remotes use one (1) 3V Duracell # DL1616 / CR1616. Battery is about the size of a dime. You need a watch maker's phillips head screwdriver to disassemble the case in order to change the battery.

• 2 weeks later...
This is what I have saved from an earlier thread on how to program the key remote but haven't had to use it for I've been lucky being able to change the battery w/o breaking it. Good luck.

. Close and lock all doors. Unlock and open drivers door.

2. Put key into ignition and remove. Do not turn it on.

3. Using the door electric lock switch above inside handle. Lock and unlock 5 times. (Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)

4. Close and open drivers door.

5. Using the door electric lock switch above inside handle. Lock and unlock 5 times. (Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)

6. Put key into ignition. Turn to "ON" , turn off and remove.

7. You will see the door locks cycle by themselves.

If the door locks do not cycle (lock and unlock) by themselves then the car isn’t in programming mode and you must start over.

8. On the remote, press and hold the LOCK and the UNLOCK button at the same time for no more than 2 seconds.

9. On the remote, press the LOCK button for no more than 1 second.

AT THIS POINT, the locks should cycle by themselves ONE time. This means the procedure was accepted.

IF the locks cycle twice it has failed.

The most common reason for programming failure is because the car didn’t receive a good signal from the remote. To fix this problem try these tips. 1) Stand outside of the car while you are performing steps 8 and 9. 2) Don’t hold the remote buttons down as long.

As long as the car is still in programming mode you can keep trying steps 8 and 9 until you complete the programming. If you wait too long and the car exits the programming mode then you must start over.

After you get the remote to program then continue on with step 10.

10. Close and open door to end programming procedure.

The car doesn't go into the programming mode. when I lock and unlock.. it doesn't lock or unlock on the 4th or the final try. is there something wrong with my car or the remote? help~~~

u sure your going through the steps correctly? if u r then who knows it could be either

"i will welcome myself back to the forum as im,woo hooooooooo, finally unsuspended! hahaha!"

brian