Low Mpg On My Lexus

Hi guys. I have a 2000 Lexus GS 400 with 115k miles. I was reading up on my car and it says that i should be getting around 17 miles per gallon while driving around the city. i seem to get around 11-12. And about 18-19 highway. Which is very disappointing, the only thing i can think of is that i have a catalytic converter problem which makes the "check engine" sign show up. Fixing this problem would increase my mpg back to 17? or is it another problem that i am not aware of?

Hi guys. I have a 2000 Lexus GS 400 with 115k miles. I was reading up on my car and it says that i should be getting around 17 miles per gallon while driving around the city. i seem to get around 11-12. And about 18-19 highway. Which is very disappointing, the only thing i can think of is that i have a catalytic converter problem which makes the "check engine" sign show up. Fixing this problem would increase my mpg back to 17? or is it another problem that i am not aware of?

What is wrong with your converter? Is it clogged, then yes to a decrease in miliage due to that! If it is just not performing then it may effect your fuel air mixture and that would cause what your seeing as well.

If you replace your converter I would love to buy your old one from you to make a test pipe so I can take mine off.

I would even pay shipping to me and then ship it back to you. I need it to make a test pipe.

BP

Another way to increase your mpg is to clean your MAF sensor and throttle body plate. I heard that works wonders, most likely I'm going to do that next weekend!

I'm in NYC also, you can go to any autozone and have them read the codes for you for FREE. I think something in NY gas has been different though, a lot of my friends, and coworkers along with myself have noticed an increase in MPG these past few weeks... i hope this trend of good gas remains as $4.45 a gallong is making me look for bicycles on craigslist.

I'm in NYC also, you can go to any autozone and have them read the codes for you for FREE. I think something in NY gas has been different though, a lot of my friends, and coworkers along with myself have noticed an increase in MPG these past few weeks... i hope this trend of good gas remains as $4.45 a gallong is making me look for bicycles on craigslist.

You know what, I've been experiencing better mpg than usual over here in NJ - weird...but I'll take it...

try seafoaming the motor! it does wonders for high mileage cars and is 100% safe

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm

updates_whitecap.gif

yeah carbon i cannot see u or anyone putting that stuff, safe or not, into a 50k car! i just wouldnt chance what some unknown additive would do!

"i will welcome myself back to the forum as im woo hooooooooo im finally unsuspended! hahaha!"

brian