Adding Daytime Running Lights To 1996 Ls

jc4home2

I'd like to add the Daytime Running Light option to my 96 LS. Right now I run with low beams on all the time (I like the safety factor), and leave the light stalk in the "ON" position all the time. I'd like to upgrade to better low-beam lamps, but don't won't to burn through them by running constantly. Since DRLs normally utilize the high beam lamps (at reduced power), I'd prefer this. It would also avoid running the parking lights and rear lights.

Since the Canadian version of these cars has DRLs, could it be that hard to "add the missing components" that were likely left out of the US models? Of course the real question is... what all is missing?

Has anyone tried this? I'm open to suggestions, even if it isn't plug-n-play.

I've searched through the forum, and didn't find any advise for this series LS. Nearly all the posts are 'how do I disable DRLs'.

Thanks,

John

P.S. Even though I don't have DRLs, a nice feature of this gen LS is that leaving the lights in the "ON" position will automatically turn off the lights when you turn-off the ignition and exit the car, and turn them back on when you start-up. Don't have to worry about draining the battery, and I can have the next best thing to DRLs.

Also - when I first got the car, I'd run the lights in "Auto", but I found that the sunlight sensor not very sensitive (or too sensitive?). The lights would remain off well into dusk (long after I would have turned them on manually to ensure I could be seen). I've noticed many other cars with automatic lights suffer the same issue. At least with running lights, you can at least be seen, and when the lights kick in, you can see too.

I personally think DRLs are gross, but you could just leave your headlights on all the time..

Or better yet do the fog light mod so you can have the fogs on with the parking lights. There should be a walkthrough somewhere around here, or on CL.

good luck! :cheers:

I leave my headlights on the "on" position all the time too for the added safety factor. My uncle says I am crazy and asks why I have my headlights on. Well, they are on automatic, because they turn off when I open the door. The only thing I dislike is that my taillights come on too and I know it has to shorten the life of the bulbs, but its not a big deal. I have a bad ground there anyway, because when I press the brakes when the lights are on, my upper right taillight goes out. I have seen this before on many other late 80s-early 90s Toyota products.

True, many people hate DRLS. I still find it strange that GM added DRLS as standard in 1996 or 1997 and it took many other makes many years later to add them.

What I find strange is that occasionally I will still see a late model luxury car, such as Mercedes or even Lexus WITHOUT DRL's on. Either they are blown, malfunctioned, or the owner has disabled them somehow? Surely they are standard on those by now?

Well, John, I know the above I just spoke of did not help with your question, but I had the same question when I had my 2000 Toyota Tundra. I wanted DRLs and it did not have the option. It was optional on the 2000 Tundras. Actually the ABS optioned models had the DRLS. I had went to the Tundra forum asking if it would be as simple as plugging up a wire or something, but it seems like its more involved, even on models where it was optional. I think I was told there is an aftermarket kit available, but it was too involved for me, so I just drove with the lights on all of the time. They too cut off automatically when the truck was off and door opened. I did turn down my dash lights though, because I did not want to burn out my dash bulbs prematurely.

Strange that my 99 Corolla has them but not a newer Lexus? Our 04 ES330 has them but not the 90 LS400. I usually drive with my headlights on all the time. After awhile it becomes a habit and you don't even think about it when starting out. I doubt I would ever go to the trouble or ecpense of adding them.

Either way, welcome to LOC.

Yeah, does your Corolla have the optional anti-lock brakes? I think it worked about like the early Tundras.. the ABS models had DRLs.

Strange that my 99 Corolla has them but not a newer Lexus? Our 04 ES330 has them but not the 90 LS400. I usually drive with my headlights on all the time. After awhile it becomes a habit and you don't even think about it when starting out. I doubt I would ever go to the trouble or ecpense of adding them.

Either way, welcome to LOC.

Maybe you could ask LSLex how he added DRL: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=47670

I started driving with headlights on in the daytime in the late 1960s -- my little 2-seat silver Mercedes 190SL was just about invisible to oncoming drivers on the highway - blended right in with the pavement color in the heat of the summer. That was about the time that DRL was introduced in northern Europe and studies were published documenting that DRL equipped cars were involved in fewer crashes and that, when DRL cars were involved in crashes, the damage was usually less severe.

My '01 911/996 came without the DRL circuit so I simply connected, wire jumper, the seat heating power source at the fuse panel into the street/marker/parking/tail light circuit. All bulbs are converted to LEDs so no real worry about power consumption nor burnout. The 911 came with a 5W halogen european DRL bulb which I changed out to a 3W Luxeon LED.