Gs300 Suspension Upgrade

TouringGS

I'm planning on a suspension upgrade for a 1st generation GS. I want to have it lowered, without interfering too much with the feel of the "lexus ride" or the appearance. As of now, I have the eibach pro-kit in mind. Will the eibach kit be efficient, or should I purchase shocks/struts?

I personally would also get new shocks. Since you have a 1st gen GS, your current shocks might already have been used for a long time (read: worn), and may not be able to cope with the shorter springs. So if you change your springs you better also change your shocks.

Also, besides buying springs and shocks, there is a signifcant labour charge. This labour charge will be about the same if you only install springs or if you install both new springs and shocks.

It really depends what you are looking for. Higher performance? Better ride/comfort? Drop?

If you want to drop your car I would consider more performance orientated shocks like Koni or Bilstein.

If you budget allows, I would consider something like Tein CS coilovers. There are a lot of coilovers avail for the JZS147 :P And just skip the shocks/springs alternative.

i have seen this done before at the shop i work at....the eibach springs with either the matching set of shocks OR a good quality bilstien shock works wonders for those vehicles (these will give you more road feel..compareable to a SC300/400)

lemme know how it goes for you!

• 3 months later...

I have also researched this area and found that the eibach springs provide the best bang for your buck when trying to get performance without sacrificing to much comfort. However the only struts I have found so far that work with the 1st Gen GS300 are the KYB..... I would appreciate ant addtional info anyone may have.

There are many more shock suppliers, but may be much more difficult to find. In terms of price performance KYB will be excellent.

In Asia/Japan KYB offers several different versions for the the JZS147 (GS300), and there are also several others like Tein who offer coilovers for the GS300.

I just installed Rsr lowering springs 1.4" drop and trd 5way adjustable shocks into my 1993 gs300. It is a little stiff but that is what i was looking for. The trd's ran me $399 shipped but good luck finding a pair as they are discontinued.