Trunk Not Lifting Very Easily

Woodi68

I have no idea what the lifting mechanism is called, is this the Trunk strut? (2002 LS430)

Anyway, problem is I suspect it's supposed to basically open with one finger, but it basically takes both hands to lift it open.

Suggestions?

Having visited your area previously, I believe you are located in a rather damp climate. Damp climates can cause lubrications at hinge points to deteriorate. As a very cheap and easily completed maintenance procedure, I suggest you purchase a can of White Lithium Grease at an auto parts store. It comes in a spray can that has an extension tube to reach tight areas and costs around $4. Observe the hinge mechanism in motion and determine the contact pivot points, as this is where lubrication is applied. Work the tip of the extension tube into the pivot points and apply some of the lithium grease. I usually shake the can vigorously throughout the process, as the material seems to coagulate rapidly. Prepare by having an old towel around to catch the over spray. Might help, can’t hurt. I apply white lithium grease to my door hinges, and hood hinges regularly.

I have no idea what the lifting mechanism is called, is this the Trunk strut? (2002 LS430)

Anyway, problem is I suspect it's supposed to basically open with one finger, but it basically takes both hands to lift it open.

Suggestions?

I recently had the same issue and live near the ocean. I replaced the struts and the problem is solved. The dealer charged approx. $300, but Iwould imagine that you could find them on-line and do it yourself. It is very easy. Good luck

The newer designed lift supports can be removed with a flathead screwdriver. Pull on the band at the ball joint end and that will open the receiver to allow you to pull off the support. The new one simply snaps on. Try rockauto.com as they have great prices and great service if you are looking to go aftermarket for the supplier. Else try Sewell Lexus for OEM branded parts.