What Is "the Clunk"?

Gravity

What exactly is “the clunk”? I read a good portion of the pinned post on the issue but I can’t seem to find what it is and when it happens.

I have an 07 so I’m guessing that it isn’t an issue with this model year.

One thing I do experience is this. As I slowly pull up to a stop sign or red light and just before the vehicle comes to a complete stop it feels like something releases. The truck kind of lets go of something like the transmission is going into neutral.

I don’t hear a clunk so I’m assuming it’s something else.

G

What exactly is “the clunk”? I read a good portion of the pinned post on the issue but I can’t seem to find what it is and when it happens.

One thing I do experience is this. As I slowly pull up to a stop sign or red light and just before the vehicle comes to a complete stop it feels like something releases. The truck kind of lets go of something like the transmission is going into neutral.

G

Unfortunately, the clunk affects 2003- 2007 AND, even the 2008, as I have come to learn. The Clunk is felt when you are slowing down or when you come to a stop, 1-2 seconds later, you feel a lovetap or a slight "clunk" from the rear. There's a technical service bulletin for this from Lexus and they will change the driveshaft and control arms for 2003-2007. As far as I know, it's just an annoyance and no safety implications.

The clunk is related to the dynamic height control system. The GX470 dynamically adjusts the height of the back end of the vehicle based on road conditions and how it is being driven, in order to give a smoother ride. When you come to a stop, the height adjustment system will lower or raise itself to place the height at its normal position. When this happens, the driveshaft is going to move forward or aft and the arms are going to experience more or less force/strain. Because of the design of the driveshaft, and its lack of grease, it has heated up and thus now has a tighter fit. When the driveshaft is being forced to move by the height changing it has less friction in the rotational sphere then in the forward/backward directions and then it turns until it seats itself, i.e. relieves the forces or stabilizes. This is what causes the sense of being pushed forward, because in affect you are.

Given the above explanation of what is happening, anything under the vehicle, especially in the back or that is part of the drive train, can have an effect on how much or little you feel the “clunk”. The new driveshaft has been changed to give it extra play forward and back so that it will move more freely in those directions rather than rotating, without causing enough play to cause other noise or functional problems. This is also why keeping it greased helps a great deal. Grease provides less friction as well as keeping the shaft cooler, which also reduces friction. The new arms have been changed to be able to better handle the forces placed on them by the height control system, as well as all the forces present in any vehicle.

Omegaman

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have almost 25000 miles on my 06 now and have been hearing and feeling that "klunk" recently. It's not really that bothersome to me but I don't want to let it go either. Any input on if I should get it taken care of right away or not worry and let it wait a bit. I will be having service very soon. How long does it take to have it fixed and they will do it free of charge I assume? Thanks......

• 1 month later...
It takes about 2 to 3 hours to fix the clunk, no charge since its a warranty issue. Ask the dealer if he has the parts and ask for a loaner car.

I read somewhere that this is covered under the powertrain warranty, which I believe is 7 years or 70k miles (whichever comes first).

Is this accurate information as far as the "clunk" getting repaired at no charge (warranty)?

Honestly, I forgot to ask where the clunk would fall into what warranty category. I would PRESUME it's powertrain, but don't quote me on that. Ask your Lexus dealer for details. It took my dealer about 6-8 hours of labor to fix mine so I got a loaner car on the day I had mine done.

And YES the clunk should be covered under warranty, so it should be fixed for NO CHARGE if you do have the defect and if you still have warranty left. ;)

http://www.lexustsb.com/index.php?action=a...&artlang=en

Link to the actual TSB

I heard that the Driveshaft/Propeller shaft is covered under the 70k powertrain warranty, but the Suspension Control Arms are not. I am unsure if that is really true & people that had the fix did not report being charged for the arms. (I think the labor for everything would be covered, but maybe only some of the parts.)

• 4 weeks later...

First post as I'm doing some homework on my upcoming purchase.....I'm just about to purchase an 07 GX later this week so I'll be listening for this for sure. I assume that this problem is fixed at n/c in Canada as well.....somebody please let me know if you know different.

Also, does anyone know if this also affects the 4Runner? My dad owns an 04 4runner with the self leveling rear end option and his does the same thing just before he comes to a stop. We were talking about it just the other day wondering what it was.

Thanks.

• 3 months later...
The clunk is related to the dynamic height control system. The GX470 dynamically adjusts the height of the back end of the vehicle based on road conditions and how it is being driven, in order to give a smoother ride. When you come to a stop, the height adjustment system will lower or raise itself to place the height at its normal position. When this happens, the driveshaft is going to move forward or aft and the arms are going to experience more or less force/strain. Because of the design of the driveshaft, and its lack of grease, it has heated up and thus now has a tighter fit. When the driveshaft is being forced to move by the height changing it has less friction in the rotational sphere then in the forward/backward directions and then it turns until it seats itself, i.e. relieves the forces or stabilizes. This is what causes the sense of being pushed forward, because in affect you are.

Given the above explanation of what is happening, anything under the vehicle, especially in the back or that is part of the drive train, can have an effect on how much or little you feel the “clunk”. The new driveshaft has been changed to give it extra play forward and back so that it will move more freely in those directions rather than rotating, without causing enough play to cause other noise or functional problems. This is also why keeping it greased helps a great deal. Grease provides less friction as well as keeping the shaft cooler, which also reduces friction. The new arms have been changed to be able to better handle the forces placed on them by the height control system, as well as all the forces present in any vehicle.

Omegaman

I would assume if you turn off the dynamic suspension system (or how its called) using the "off" button by the stern up/down controls, it would be a good short-term solution?

• 3 weeks later...

Link to the actual TSB

I heard that the Driveshaft/Propeller shaft is covered under the 70k powertrain warranty, but the Suspension Control Arms are not. I am unsure if that is really true & people that had the fix did not report being charged for the arms. (I think the labor for everything would be covered, but maybe only some of the parts.)

Where is the actual TSB, I coluld not find it.

I am also hearing the same clunk on my 2007 GX470 since i have it and now it has 7k miles.

I will ask the Dealer at the next oil change to look at it but need something to backup my claim...

Link to the actual TSB

Where is the actual TSB, I coluld not find it.

I am also hearing the same clunk on my 2007 GX470 since i have it and now it has 7k miles.

I will ask the Dealer at the next oil change to look at it but need something to backup my claim...

My dealer replaced both the propeller shaft as well as the control arms on my 08 GX470 @ around 3000 miles. I had this problem on my 04 GX so I knew exactly what the problem was on the 08 when it started happening. I was surprised that it started happening so early on the 08... The 04 had at least 30k miles (maybe 40k) on it before the clunk started happening. On both vehicles the TSB fixed the problem with no recurrence.

• 3 months later...

I've looked all over for the actual copy of the "clunk" TSB. I can't seem to find it. Does anyone have the actual TSB? I've already tried the forum and Google search on the new TSB #L-SB-0116-08 and DL001-06. It seems to keep going around in circles with no actual document. I have an appointment to take my truck in on Friday and I'd like to have the documentation. Thanks!

Try the pinned topic on top of the GX forum. I have the TSB write-up on page 9 (since this topic has been fully discussed numerous times) but I'm not sure if it's the same or different TSB number compared to the one written on the first page of this thread.

;)

G

Unfortunately, the clunk affects 2003- 2007 AND, even the 2008, as I have come to learn. The Clunk is felt when you are slowing down or when you come to a stop, 1-2 seconds later, you feel a lovetap or a slight "clunk" from the rear. There's a technical service bulletin for this from Lexus and they will change the driveshaft and control arms for 2003-2007. As far as I know, it's just an annoyance and no safety implications.

can you get the drive train replaced even if you arent experiencing the clunk? i.e. can you tell them it happens intermittently?

can you get the drive train replaced even if you arent experiencing the clunk? i.e. can you tell them it happens intermittently?

The dealer is suppose to verify the problem b 4 they fix it, but sometimes they dont because the its such a common problem in the GX, but you know the saying " if its not broken, dont fix it" it may cause more problem.