Oil Change Frequency With Syn?

Lexus changes every 5k with dino oil but what if you use syn. Many other co. like BMW, BM go 10-20k if the use syn. Seems reasonable to go 10k with our 400h since we have a CVT (less stress), hybird (less engine use). I am running Amsoil syn in mine and at 5K old it is the same color as new. I am OCD about maintance but this seems like a waste to change at 5k with syn?

Your thoughts?

My Corvette has an oil life monitor; its algorythm determines when the oil should be changed based upon driving habits and conditions. The manual states that I should go by this monitor's recommendation or 1 year, whichever occurs first. Since our Lexus doesn't have this feature, and to stay within its warranty requirements, I change my oil every 5000 miles or 5 months. Even tough you can wait longer, you risk having warranty issues, should Lexus question you about this for something that is related to oil.

That being said, I should mention that the only way for you to know without a doubt whether your oil is okay is to have it analyzed.

I think 10k is fine with synthetics but I would be a little worried about my warranty if I documented this on my maintenence records. When I bought my car I told the dealer I might do some of my own oil changes and asked how this could effect my warranty. I was told I should document oil changes every 5k and save my oil and filter receipts to prove that I had done it.

I have no idea how strict Lexus would be about this but I am not going to give them any excuses not to honor my warranty.

My Corvette has an oil life monitor; its algorythm determines when the oil should be changed based upon driving habits and conditions. The manual states that I should go by this monitor's recommendation or 1 year, whichever occurs first. Since our Lexus doesn't have this feature, and to stay within its warranty requirements, I change my oil every 5000 miles or 5 months. Even tough you can wait longer, you risk having warranty issues, should Lexus question you about this for something that is related to oil.

That being said, I should mention that the only way for you to know without a doubt whether your oil is okay is to have it analyzed.

Yes BMW had a similar system based on usage that trigered an oil change.

I will save my Amsoil and Toyota filter change reciepts and change it every 10k.

The bad man of warranty does not scare me.

I will see Lexus in court if need be.

But I doubt anything but good will come of this.

Better for my engine, better for the environment etc. etc.

This is why I bought a hybrid is't it?

Yes BMW had a similar system based on usage that trigered an oil change.

I will save my Amsoil and Toyota filter change reciepts and change it every 10k.

The bad man of warranty does not scare me.

I will see Lexus in court if need be.

But I doubt anything but good will come of this.

Better for my engine, better for the environment etc. etc.

This is why I bought a hybrid is't it?

How will a recipt show anything? Not starting anything but to show reciepts does not provide proof that oil was even installed in any engine or yours? Just shows you bought a certain oil. They will have a rep from toyo pull a UOA to prove it was installed if oil was in the running for the main issue. Also skip the toyo filter. They are junk.

Also skip the toyo filter. They are junk.

I find it interesting that Lexus has been using the same oil filter in their most expensive V8 cars for nearly 20 years, although the part # did change when the filters were manufactured outside Japan.

I seriously doubt that Lexus is supplying "junk" filters to use in their most expensive cars.

And our Camry V6 uses the same filter used in most or all Lexus V6 cars. It seems to be doing just fine on Mobil 1 and Toyota filters at 100,000 miles. A friend of mine drove his Camry to nearly 400,000 miles on regular oil and Toyota filters before he parked it in his pasture -- really, it's in his pasture -- for other reasons. Using a Toyota filter sure didn't hurt his car either.

I find it interesting that Lexus has been using the same oil filter in their most expensive V8 cars for nearly 20 years, although the part # did change when the filters were manufactured outside Japan.

I seriously doubt that Lexus is supplying "junk" filters to use in their most expensive cars.

And our Camry V6 uses the same filter used in most or all Lexus V6 cars. It seems to be doing just fine on Mobil 1 and Toyota filters at 100,000 miles. A friend of mine drove his Camry to nearly 400,000 miles on regular oil and Toyota filters before he parked it in his pasture -- really, it's in his pasture -- for other reasons. Using a Toyota filter sure didn't hurt his car either.

Okay, I will use a less threating comment. They are at best an average filter and nothing special. Even Wal-mart is in the same class here as toyo; use theirs (Gheto-mart) since they are cheaper and the same quality. But if you compare them to others [filters] that are junk. Factoid here.

Plus Toyo is a little late in the game on oils and filters.

I never said anything that they would not work or anything like that. They ARE better filters out there and Lexus is at the bottom of the pile. Easy way to tell is pull a UOA with a toyo filter and one with an Mobil 1, K&N, Amsoil EaO and see the wear numbers and oil props. You could not GIVE me a toyo filter. I could use the filters noted above and last well over 15K+ miles.

But if someone changes oil like every 5K miles, use the cheapest oil and filter you can get since you change it so often.

I agree. Over the years I've read many threads on oil filters and oil types. The one problem I have is that I have never read any documented certified unbiased test data to prove to me that there is really that much difference and that whatever difference there may be can be proven to cause substantial wear on engine parts that are lubricated with the crankcase oil!!

Doing a used oil analysis (UOA) on two oil filters without correlating the wear particle factors to any kind of tests on how many MORE wear particles in the oil that was not properly filtered by a "junk" oil filter, AND then proving how many more wear particles will cause a significant or substantial amout of wear in the engine that will decrease it's life and by how much!! SHOW ME SOME CERTIFIED TEST DATA!!!! Until then, to me it's all conjecture, BS, and hype. That's just my worthless opinion. :)

And why would one of the world most advanced and finest automobile manufacturers use "junk" oil filters? I'm sure someone will come up with a logical reason.

Oh yeah, if you do some research I believe you will find that engine failure in today's modern engines will NOT be caused by oil or oil filters, if normal periodic maintenance services are performed and under average driving conditions.

The filters are AVERAGE or junk when you compare the eff /cap ratings per proper SAE standards to other (hence the cheap price and build of them)...But that is my opinion.

In my years of testing there are more non-linear wear patterns, stuck valves in filters, poor or huge wears that causes issues down the road on engine with filters then oil. I know what I have seen. On cars and the average joe, they cannot understand UOA, do not want to spend the money etc on them. I told you the story prior.

You again are correct and Blackstone, UOA, CAT and Allison are all incorrect on there tribal knowledge based on filtration. I should throw in Donaldson filters too. I will gladly forward your comments to these people on of weekly telecom for Marine / Army trucks. Good thing we caught this early. When a see a 4-star general along with troops that work on them in Irag/Afan I will tell him/them your comments. I will see them Wed in fact . But it is a worthless opinion so that will help. Then again I have done these tests that you want via Dyson Analysis but they are worthless; not really for $65 each test. But I feel this is a lossing battle with you since you are the same guy that thinks Amsoil is an additive..Case closed here but I will tell the mfgs on your findings. I have too.

I agree. Over the years I've read many threads on oil filters and oil types. The one problem I have is that I have never read any documented certified unbiased test data to prove to me that there is really that much difference and that whatever difference there may be can be proven to cause substantial wear on engine parts that are lubricated with the crankcase oil!!

Doing a used oil analysis (UOA) on two oil filters without correlating the wear particle factors to any kind of tests on how many MORE wear particles in the oil that was not properly filtered by a "junk" oil filter, AND then proving how many more wear particles will cause a significant or substantial amout of wear in the engine that will decrease it's life and by how much!! SHOW ME SOME CERTIFIED TEST DATA!!!! Until then, to me it's all conjecture, BS, and hype. That's just my worthless opinion. :)

And why would one of the world most advanced and finest automobile manufacturers use "junk" oil filters? I'm sure someone will come up with a logical reason.

Oh yeah, if you do some research I believe you will find that engine failure in today's modern engines will NOT be caused by oil or oil filters, if normal periodic maintenance services are performed and under average driving conditions.

The filters are AVERAGE or junk when you compare the eff /cap ratings per proper SAE standards to other (hence the cheap price and build of them)...But that is my opinion.

In my years of testing there are more non-linear wear patterns, stuck valves in filters, poor or huge wears that causes issues down the road on engine with filters then oil. I know what I have seen. On cars and the average joe, they cannot understand UOA, do not want to spend the money etc on them. I told you the story prior.

You again are correct and Blackstone, UOA, CAT and Allison are all incorrect on there tribal knowledge based on filtration. I should throw in Donaldson filters too. I will gladly forward your comments to these people on of weekly telecom for Marine / Army trucks. Good thing we caught this early. When a see a 4-star general along with troops that work on them in Irag/Afan I will tell him/them your comments. I will see them Wed in fact . But it is a worthless opinion so that will help. Then again I have done these tests that you want via Dyson Analysis but they are worthless; not really for $65 each test. But I feel this is a lossing battle with you since you are the same guy that thinks Amsoil is an additive..Case closed here but I will tell the mfgs on your findings. I have too.

Based on some reactions here, it seems that questioning a man's knowledgeable opinions, or as is more often the case his opinionated knowledge about things automotive, is sometimes taken by him as being almost akin to questioning his manhood! :o

Based on some reactions here, it seems that questioning a man's knowledgeable opinions, or as is more often the case his opinionated knowledge, about things automotive, is sometimes taken by him as being almost akin to questioning his manhood. :o

Nah, it is some users here, posting above you and me think he knows it all. All this from a 60+ year old that still thinks Amsoil is an additive; but he has a 3 digit IQ. Whatever makes the seniors happy; other then 10% off. :D :lol:

RB- you are asking questions that, if you have done UOA in your past know-how and have an understanding these issues with engine, enviroment etc would be not an issue. I asked these very same questions to people years ago and still see people asking them. Not that they are wrong but when people start a debate on this very issue and these come up, not going more into it based on my first sentence here. In fact I have got answers to all these with my past engines testing. Heck, I have seen the data from a few mfg when we selected an engine for the MRAP.

Put it this way, you could not PAY me to use a toyo filter when or if there is a better one like K&N (oil), Mobil & Amsoil EaO. In fact most filters out there are behind the times on filtration. Compare a toyo filter to donaldson it is so far out of wack......

I was really hoping that I would see some serious test data posted.

You, Mr. M, refer to Blackstone.... here's a quote directory from their website and corny FAQ section.......

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/faq_gas.html

two questions and two answers.....

"What's the best oil to use?

Ah, the million dollar question. We are an independent lab, so we don't make recommendations. It has been our experience that oil is oil, and either petroleum or synthetic-based oil will work well for just about any engine.

Come on, you're holding out on me. I should use synthetic, right?

Buddy, you should use whatever you want. Synthetic oil won't guarantee a longer engine life any more than my eating organic food will guarantee I'll live until I'm 90. We here at Blackstone generally use regular petroleum-based oil because honestly, it works just as well for us. "

What do YOU think of those Q&A's from Blackstone??????

I take my 10% discount every chance I get! :D

The best oil is integral to what you want. Since you do not test your oil, use the cheapest Gheto-mart oil and filter. Since you buy MF towels there, pick up some oil/filter too. You will not see any diff in your eyes.

Blackstone is using the typicial PR status. And that means what? I know we tell certain people to do something etc when it benefits the company or takes them out of the loop. If you want to ride Blackstone Q&A, great. Just like Toyo when you call they give you the std answers when you know very well they know more.

I do not get it, you think you are going to live to 90 (you think) and your brother owns like 8 dealerships as you state. You should be gettting all oil changes for free since you are family. Why are you bothering here with more costly UOA (if you do them; which will not happen). I had engines (gas/diesel) that ran on both and so far, dino in the long run costed me more in the end. But do what you wish as I am sure you will. I still like someone here in 7 years to tell me why I do UOA's..

I am NOT telling you all the data since you have posted here your age (many times), IQ etc (joy) and you should know what to do. Blackstone does not test gas, additive for other people. Also mfg's for army trucks say the say thing and design to others. I have seen it daily. I cannot wait to bring up the filter data on weds dial-in...It will be the joke before going offline.

Nah, it is some users here, posting above you and me think he knows it all. All this from a 60+ year old that still thinks Amsoil is an additive; but he has a 3 digit IQ. Whatever makes the seniors happy; other then 10% off. :D :lol:

You need to quit. Randy&Bonnie began a discussion with you which, as you may or may not be aware, is the purpose of a discussion board. It is not a "sit around and read everything MB says as truth" board.

You're the one who jabbed at him and made it personal, and he didn't take your bait (which I know pains him greatly and I'm impressed he passed on it)

You need to keep discussions civil and impersonal or we're going to ask you to leave.

Thread closed.

Seeing that MB's no longer with us, I've re-opened the thread

Drat, now who is going to insult my age and intelligence? :rolleyes:

Tom

I didn't realize that being 60 years of age and having a 3-digit IQ is such a bad thing! :huh:

Guilty on both counts. Shall I plan my funeral or find an Alzheimer's home?

Tom

• 2 weeks later...
If this topic is still open, what Toyota oil filter was the guy trashing anyway?? I buy the Toyota 90915-20004 which according to this website two years ago was the best filter money could buy.

So I bought 30 of them.

Don't miss the point ~ which was that if you change out oil/filter in the 5K mile spec ... it aint going to matter that one is a bit better than the other. If you go to the effort to have your used oil anylized, will one brand be better than the other? Yes, but will the significance amount to anything that causes lube related failure? There you go, no. That was the point of the post referencing the unsponsered expert. Consumer reports, too, has rehashed the issue again & again . . . & come to the same conclusion.