2002 Ls 430 With Mobil 1

GPK

Last Dec I bought a 2002 LS 430 that had 53,000 miles...wonderful car as I was coming out of a 01 Yukon.

In my last oil change I went to Mobil 1 5W-30 and a Mobil 1 filter. As I checked my oil over the week end and with

a little over 3000 miles on this oil I find that the oil is much darker than what I'm used to...Overall that's not a bad thing

in that the oil is doing it's job.

In another part of the forum I read comments about using only a factory Lexus/Toyota oil filter. Is there that big of difference in Lexus factory parts versus a very good OEM filter? The color of Mobil 1 in the Lexus is much darker at 3000 miles than what I experienced in the 5.3L Yukon.....Does anyone else have a similar observation? No reason to think I can't get 5000 miles on this oil change...is there?

Any experienced Lexus comments welcome?

GP Kelly

Cypress TX

M1 filters are a good quality filter to be sure......so is the OEM Toyota one (I use Amsoil personally). You should be good to go for 5k miles between oil changes (don't worry so much about the color).

If your curious what condition your oil is in, I suggest you get a UOA (used oil analysis) done.....and let us know the results. More info here...

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/what_is_oil_analysis.html

:cheers:

I suppose that it is possible that the Mobil 1 is doing a better job of picking up and holding contaminants that regular dino oil didn't capture. Sure, I would think it could go at least 5,000 miles even though it looks dirty. I've used Mobil 1 in my current 00 LS400 from 38,000 miles and am now nearing 100,000 miles. I just now went to my garage to check how the Mobil 1 looks after 4,900 miles; it is only slightly darker than when it went it came out of the bottles. I change the oil and filter ever 5,000 miles even though I know it safely go far, far longer.

Regarding the oil filter, I've never found a reason to use anything other than a Toyota/Lexus filter. I buy OEM Toyota oil filters by the 10-pack from a local Toyota dealer (Toyota and Lexus V8 engines use the same filter). The last two 10-packs have cost $40 each including 10 oil plug gaskets. Doing the math, a ten pack of filters lasts 50,000 miles so I guess I have bought about five 10-packs over the past 18+ years and 250,000 miles driving LS400 cars.

Thank you....the previous owner & Lexus dealer used conventional oil...so it is quite possible the synthetic is picking up previous deposits......Thanks for the filter comment...the Lexus filter is likely less than the M1.......GPK

I suppose that it is possible that the Mobil 1 is doing a better job of picking up and holding contaminants that regular dino oil didn't capture. Sure, I would think it could go at least 5,000 miles even though it looks dirty. I've used Mobil 1 in my current 00 LS400 from 38,000 miles and am now nearing 100,000 miles. I just now went to my garage to check how the Mobil 1 looks after 4,900 miles; it is only slightly darker than when it went it came out of the bottles. I change the oil and filter ever 5,000 miles even though I know it safely go far, far longer.

Regarding the oil filter, I've never found a reason to use anything other than a Toyota/Lexus filter. I buy OEM Toyota oil filters by the 10-pack from a local Toyota dealer (Toyota and Lexus V8 engines use the same filter). The last two 10-packs have cost $40 each including 10 oil plug gaskets. Doing the math, a ten pack of filters lasts 50,000 miles so I guess I have bought about five 10-packs over the past 18+ years and 250,000 miles driving LS400 cars.

Here is one, why do you think oil is "dirty"? Since you like Toyo filters, maybe that is one reason (out of many) that is why your oil is getting blacker, if that is a bad thing let me know. Oil color means zero but use a better filter man. Toyo filter are about as good as Ghetto-marts. Serious pull them apart and look at them. 99% the same and one is 30+% cheaper.

Oil color is a funny thing. Do NOT go by color. Means nothing on oil longevity, perform etc. You are guessing going by color unless it is white. If you are not using UOA, there are other ways to "guess better" then just looking at "dirty" oil. Case in point, I have jet black oil perform great in UOA and very clear poorly.

Also I can have my Amsoil come out clear in 8,000 drains if I used these low drains. Does that mean my engine is clean, no. I can add LC20 to the oil and within 200 miles the oil is black. Does that mean it is bad? It is cleaning, function of Lc, but I do not know the oil is dirty etc since I have no clue on UOA. I know now my engine is as clean as I can get it. Some group 4/5 synthetic clean a little via there ester bases (redline, Amsoil, mobil) but it will take like forever to clean an entire engine. The % is too low to do much cleaning. It will clean but retain much better i feel.

I use Mobil 1 in all my vehicles. I also use K&N filters. I think the LS400 uses a K&N HP 1002 filter but it might be a 1003. In regards to the darkness of the oil, that is something I have never seen.