Michelin Hydroedge Tires

RX300LS

Hello,

I have a 2001 LS430. I was wondering if anyone has installed Michelin HydroEdge tires on their LS? Tirerack has them for $145.00, which seems like a bargain compared to other Michelin tires. The tire also got great reviews on the Tirerack site. The only problem I see with the tires is a "T" speed rating, which I think is only up too 118 miles an hour. This will not effect me but will it affect the car in any other way?

Thanks for any info. This is a great site, keep up the good work.

Hello,

I have a 2001 LS430. I was wondering if anyone has installed Michelin HydroEdge tires on their LS? Tirerack has them for $145.00, which seems like a bargain compared to other Michelin tires. The tire also got great reviews on the Tirerack site. The only problem I see with the tires is a "T" speed rating, which I think is only up too 118 miles an hour. This will not effect me but will it affect the car in any other way?

Thanks for any info. This is a great site, keep up the good work.

I don't know the HydroEdge. I have put Michelin MXV4s on several cars, and I currently have them on my '04 MB S430. My '04 Lexus LS430 is still on its OE Dunlops, but it will get the MXV4s when the time comes. This tire is the best compromise between handling, wear, ride quality, and noise I have found. I would not get a T rated tire for the LS. An H rated tire is all the governor requires. Z-rateds will be stickier and probably noisier, but will wear out in 12k miles or so. I would spring for the extra $30 a corner and get the MXV4s. They will last 40k with regular rotation and reasonable driving style, so you'll probably make back the difference in price in longevity.

I have HydroEdge tires (215/55R-16) on the wife's Volvo S90 (RWD). They are a high mileage tire and I project, based on wear at 36K miles of use, that we will get close to 80K miles of use if we keep the Volvo that long. As a high mileage tire, they are very hard and you might find a difference in ride quality. There was a noticeable change in ride quality between the Michelin MXM tires I had on the Volvo previously and the HydroEdge tires, but my wife generally runs it only to the gym and around town. Michelin quotes a special formulation to keep the tires black and that does seem to work, they look OK without tire dressing, etc. They are a uni-directional tire (only fore / aft rotation) and have a high performance looking tread pattern. They do seem to work very well in the rain, no knowledge of performance for winter conditions.

I have Hydroedge tires on my moms 1989 volvo 740 turbo. They are vary good tires. They have about 30,000 miles on them and look good to last a nouther 10,000. :D I would go for them if you have the money. There well worth it.

I am going to puting a set on my 1990 LS-400 as soon as my MXV4`s are worn. ;)

Speed rating on the tires is not the total consideration. Yes you likely won't drive 118 MPH for extended periods.

The 2002 LS 430 I just bought, my first Lexus after many years of MB, has Bridgestone Turanza's that are H rated. H rated tires are the minimum rated tires I would use. An H rated tire gives you better sidewall strength and with the performance capabilities of a LS 400 or 430 that's a factor....Z rated tires are too expensive and nothing more than high priced erasers on your car. These Bridgestones are very noisy....MXV4 are great tires but pricey...check out the new version of Michelin's

XGT Pilot tire..now called something else..They are H rated...priced well...and they perform very well....I have a set on my E300 diesel

Do NOT get the Hydroedge. It is a very noisy, harsh-riding tire. You would be much better served by running a set of Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires. I know from experience; I've had a set of both.

I would also pass on the Hydroedge tire......I would get a minimum of an H speed rated tire personally.

What size do you need.....the 225 60 16 or 225 55 17? And most importantly, what are you looking for in a replacement tire? IE: long treadlife, wet weather performance etc.

:cheers:

I am mainly looking for quite and good ride. High speed and handling are not as important. I talked to Tirerack and they advised against the HydroEdge, mainly for the speed rating and the harshness and tire noise. He said it was a very hard compound and sidewall. This is what enables the 90,000 mile tread warranty. He suggested the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity, very good ratings on their site, much better than the Michelin MXV4s. My size is 225/55/R17.

Thank-you for all your help.

I am mainly looking for quite and good ride. High speed and handling are not as important. I talked to Tirerack and they advised against the HydroEdge, mainly for the speed rating and the harshness and tire noise. He said it was a very hard compound and sidewall. This is what enables the 90,000 mile tread warranty. He suggested the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity, very good ratings on their site, much better than the Michelin MXV4s. My size is 225/55/R17.

Thank-you for all your help.

I have the HydroEdge on my 92 LS, I had Falkens' prior, they were horrible, the Hydroedge are an big improvement, as others say, a tad noisey, but I wouldn't say really bad. They handle well, though I've only had them on there for about 2k miles, thus far pretty decent. I bought them new on Craigs for about half of a new tire price, so, Im happy about that as well.

The HydroEdge are not appropriate tires for the LS. For one the T speed rating is far too low, the suspension geometry is designed around an H rated tire. For two the LS needs a smooth and quiet touring type tire.

I'd put the Bridgestones or the Michelin Primacy MXV4 on. I have the Bridgestone Turanza LS-Vs on my car, the tires they discontinued for the Serenity's. I'm happy with them, but really the quietest tires out there are the MXV4s.

You gotta be careful about TireRack's ratings. The Serenitys are new so their reviews look a lot better than older tires, and the MXV4s are widely used as OEM tires so a lot of their reviews are after the car owners have replaced the tires, so they're of old tires whereas the reviews for the Serenity are of brand new tires.

I find TireRack's ratings barely relevant.

If it were my car I'd put Michelin Primacy MXV4s on it.

I would install the Michelin Pilot Exalto tire, in H speed rating. The MXV-4 is a fine tire, but they are very mushy handling. Like riding on marshmallows.