2001 Gs300 Stereo Removal

Hi All,

I want to remove the factory stereo in my 2001 GS300 so I can attach an ipod integration cable. Does anyone have any experience removing the headunit? Is it very difficult? Any tricks? If the radio is unplugged does it have any theft deterrent feature rendering it useless? Thanks for any advice.

JHerb

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

I want to remove the factory stereo in my 2001 GS300 so I can attach an ipod integration cable. Does anyone have any experience removing the headunit? Is it very difficult? Any tricks? If the radio is unplugged does it have any theft deterrent feature rendering it useless? Thanks for any advice.

JHerb

I was looking into the same thing but I went the cheap way with a cassette adaptor for my iPod from Belkin after I looked at the price of integration cable and other things plus installation.

I think you can get it from Walmart for about $20. It is a cassette tape attached to a RCA jack that you plug into your Ipod and control your Ipod to play the music.

I tried the FM connector, it was pretty bad sound.

Hi All,

JHerb

I was looking into the same thing but I went the cheap way with a cassette adaptor for my iPod from Belkin after I looked at the price of integration cable and other things plus installation.

I think you can get it from Walmart for about $20. It is a cassette tape attached to a RCA jack that you plug into your Ipod and control your Ipod to play the music.

theres a site its call carstereohelp.com you can find the intsructions there but it cost like $5 for it . its pretty simple you just have to remove the air vent on top of the stereo it should just pop of then remove the little panel where your ashtray is at it'll pop off also then you'll see 2 srews on top and 2 on the bottom unsrew those 4 srews and out comes your stereo.

he's right some of the fm connector's sound like crap. try the belkin one. my buddy has it, it sounds fine. oh yeah the tape adaptor just looks ghetto as hell. it works. i dunno how well but it just looks like crap. a ipod plugged into a tape then running to the tape player. :D do people even use their tape players nemore? i havent owned/bought a tape in like 15 years or more.

brian

• 2 years later...

Yo... Just put a USA SPEC iPod Interface into my 2001 Lexus GS300 w/ navigation, and had to take out the radio. Very easy to do yourself. No more than 10-15min job the first time you do it. You can go to this site www.carstereoremoval.com and pay $5 for these same directions. Get them right here on Lexus Owners Club for free.

1) Open ash tray cavity, grasp inside upper edge of cavity and gently pull ash tray assembly forward releasing clips. All clips release with pressure. Disconnect connectors.

2) Gently pry clock and A/C vent assembly from dash releasing clips. Grab this piece as best you can with one hand and pull, while you use a small flat head screwsdriver to pry. Pry a little bit in different places and it will come right out. Disconnect connectors.

3) There are two bolts above the navigation/radio unit, and two below. Unscrew them all, and gently pull the radio/navigation out. That's all there is to it.

The USA SPEC iPod Interface (PA-TOY15 w/ CAS-LEX cable) was $160, and well worth it. Had to call into tech support for a quick question, and the homie Joe over there was most helpful. Very easy installation. Very happy. I paid $5 for the cords that plug into the PA-TOY15 to allow for an auxillary cord. Now I can play an iPod or my smartphone through my system.

• 4 months later...

Yo... Just put a USA SPEC iPod Interface into my 2001 Lexus GS300 w/ navigation, and had to take out the radio. Very easy to do yourself. No more than 10-15min job the first time you do it. You can go to this site www.carstereoremoval.com and pay $5 for these same directions. Get them right here on Lexus Owners Club for free.

1) Open ash tray cavity, grasp inside upper edge of cavity and gently pull ash tray assembly forward releasing clips. All clips release with pressure. Disconnect connectors.

2) Gently pry clock and A/C vent assembly from dash releasing clips. Grab this piece as best you can with one hand and pull, while you use a small flat head screwsdriver to pry. Pry a little bit in different places and it will come right out. Disconnect connectors.

3) There are two bolts above the navigation/radio unit, and two below. Unscrew them all, and gently pull the radio/navigation out. That's all there is to it.

The USA SPEC iPod Interface (PA-TOY15 w/ CAS-LEX cable) was $160, and well worth it. Had to call into tech support for a quick question, and the homie Joe over there was most helpful. Very easy installation. Very happy. I paid $5 for the cords that plug into the PA-TOY15 to allow for an auxillary cord. Now I can play an iPod or my smartphone through my system.

What function on the nav do you use to access the iPod, i.e. do you have to remove the cd changer functionality?

Thanks-