92' Ls400 Smoking

ramnozack

Wow - interesting.

First of all, I would highly recommend to start by not driving on the freeway without the car not in overdrive, much less in 2nd gear. That is surely not good for the engine and it only increases wear and could ruin the engine. One time I accidentally placed my car in "2nd" after turning in a dealer lot and obviously (as observant as I am :)), realized it was in 2nd (when I was at about 3000 rpms at 35 mph) and knew it was in a lower gear. I have never took my car over 3000 rpms.

I wonder- how fast was your engine turning in 2nd gear at 80 mph? 6000 rpms or more? :o I would change the oil, use the O/D and see what happens.

I have never investigated this problem, because neither of my LS400s (1990 & 1991), both with over 200K, never lost a drop of oil between the 3K changes. (Knock on wood).

Lastly, I do not think anyone was trying to be hateful or mean. On any forum, if someone types in all caps, it does tend to ruffle feathers and annoy. I do not think these people were trying to be hateful or mean. Sometimes it seems that way when you are just reading type and not a persons tone.

Anyway, I hope all goes well!

thx,no the car was in 3rd gear and I did not pay attention to the rpm at that moment due to my shock when I saw the smoke,and I keep an eye on the oil and it is not missing on the dipstick,it is puzzling.

Oh I see. I was thinking you said 2nd gear. Well, even 3rd at those speeds may be harmful to the engine. I always just leave mine in O/D. The only time I would not use O/D is if it was going up mountains for miles.

Well, maybe its just enough to see and not really burning enough to show on the stick and its only doing that at high speeds. Do you know if your valve covers gaskets are leaking or not? Sometimes they can leak a little and still cause smoke I imagine if oil is leaking out on those manifolds. Mine is leaking a little, but not enough to smoke. Only enough to smell it a little under the hood if the engine is off.

Oh about the tranny fluid in the gas. This has nothing to do with a Lexus, but I read the comment. I used to know someone that used to pour it down the carburators of OLDER cars with a carburator. It supposedly was supposed to free sticky valves, but they would also pour a little water down the carb to with the engine racing a little.

Hope all turns out well.

thx,no the car was in 3rd gear and I did not pay attention to the rpm at that moment due to my shock when I saw the smoke,and I keep an eye on the oil and it is not missing on the dipstick,it is puzzling.

Oh I see. I was thinking you said 2nd gear. Well, even 3rd at those speeds may be harmful to the engine. I always just leave mine in O/D. The only time I would not use O/D is if it was going up mountains for miles.

Well, maybe its just enough to see and not really burning enough to show on the stick and its only doing that at high speeds. Do you know if your valve covers gaskets are leaking or not? Sometimes they can leak a little and still cause smoke I imagine if oil is leaking out on those manifolds. Mine is leaking a little, but not enough to smoke. Only enough to smell it a little under the hood if the engine is off.

Oh about the tranny fluid in the gas. This has nothing to do with a Lexus, but I read the comment. I used to know someone that used to pour it down the carburators of OLDER cars with a carburator. It supposedly was supposed to free sticky valves, but they would also pour a little water down the carb to with the engine racing a little.

Hope all turns out well.

yes,my valve covers are leaking alittle according to the dealer.you know I am going to take it to the other dealer we have in town.thx man

Yep, well its time that the early to mid 90s models have the leaky valve cover gaskets. The ones on my 90' LS were leaking and now they are on my 91' LS, though its only a very little at this point. My dealer normally has good rates, but I think the VC gasket quote was lofty.

yes,my valve covers are leaking alittle according to the dealer.you know I am going to take it to the other dealer we have in town.thx man

Ramnozack, sorry to hear you lost your Father and I can tell he meant alot to you. Stop a minute and catch your breath.. We are all here to help.:cheers:

thank you, and I appreciate that a great deal really. he meant the world to me.you know they say you never appreciate your loved ones till you lose them,the paradox of life.we have conquered outer space,but not inner space.we have split the atom, but not our prejudice.we have learned to rush,but not to wait.more degrees,but less common sense,more knowledge but less judgment.that is the paradox of our life Rfeldes.you know life is a chain of moments of enjoyment.tell your family and friends how much you love them and do not delay anything that adds laughter and joy to your life.remove from your vocabulary phrases like"one of these days" and "someday". every day ,every hour,every minute is special and you do not know if it will be your last.therefore enjoy it . my heart is full of love and I am peacefull at my soul.thx Rfeldes. I hope I did not offend you or anybody on this forum .thank you guys for everything.