1998 Ls400 Ac Problem

waynesford

In my 1998 LS400, I noticed a strange problem with my ac. The compressor would run fine when the car was started, but after a minute or two, the RPMs would jump from 600-800 every 3-5 seconds, most likely indicating that the AC compressor was cycling on and off. However, the AC panel inside the car had no irregular lights or anything. One possiblity that I considered was that the compressor was low on freon, and would disengage itself to prevent further damage. However, the pressure of the R134a was normal when tested at startup.

I did replace the car battery two days ago, but the AC was working okay for a day. I've also tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it to see if that would help the situation but it did not. Another thing I noticed was that there is a whine coming from the engine compartment fan when it is on. Are there any recommendations on further diagnosing this problem? Would it be more plausable to be an issue with the compressor/ clutch, or could it be an electrical issue (eg. sensors being messed up when my battery died)?