Disable Trac (vsc) On A 2008 Rx400h?

I don't know about buttons on the 08, but if the 08's are like the prior 06-07's ... yes, you can disable 'em. However, it's not recommended, it can void the warranty, and cause damage to boot, it you over rev while disconected

If there is, in fact, a button (installed at the factory) that can do this, then it's a bit hard for me to believe that the warranty can be voided. My Corvette gives me the option of turning off just traction control (competive driving) or both traction control and active handling. I never turn off active handling, as it is not intrusive at all and can really save my car and me from wiping out at times. However, turning off traction control allows proper launching of the the car if at a dragstrip.

I don't know about buttons on the 08, but if the 08's are like the prior 06-07's ... yes, you can disable 'em. However, it's not recommended, it can void the warranty, and cause damage to boot, it you over rev while disconected

If there is, in fact, a button (installed at the factory) that can do this, then it's a bit hard for me to believe that the warranty can be voided. My Corvette gives me the option of turning off just traction control (competive driving) or both traction control and active handling. I never turn off active handly, as it is not intrusive at all and can really save my car and me from wiping out at times. However, turning off traction control allows proper launching of the the car if at a dragstrip.

so where is the button? I see a fuel door button, a AFS off switch (for the headlights), mirror adjustment? can someone point it out to me? thanks

There is MUCH confusion about TC and VSC. Some of the new Toyota and Lexus models have the ability to turn off TC via a pushbutton and then sequentually, ONLY sequentually, VSC can be turned off using the same button.

TC, Traction Control, is designed to belay ANY level of wheelspin/slip resulting from the application of too much engine torque for the roadbed conditions. Most operate by quickly braking the driven wheels, sometimes only moderately, while simultaneously dethrottling the engine to prevent brake components form over-heating. Some RWD and R/AWD vehicles will delay the onset of engine dethrottling in order to give the driver time to react and feather the throttle as appropreate to regain traction.

VSC is designed to activate only if over-stearing/plowing or under-stearing/skidding is detected.

The problem arises, seemingly, more with TC than with VSC, if with VSC at all. Sometimes it is desireable to allow some level of wheelspin/slip due to engine torque to simply get up and moving initially, UNSTUCK. Rocking the vehicle back and forth to get out of a "hole" comes to mind. Toyota has just announced a new feature for their RWD and R/AWD vehicles, and that is a TC "sub-mode" wherein some minor level of wheelspin/slip is enabled before TC activates.

My guess is that this sub-mode will never be added as a feature for FWD or F/AWD due to the safety hazards involved.

Im not sure about this but I think that only F/AWD models have the ability to turn off TC and then VSC.

There is a simple procedure for disabling TC and VSC on standard RX models which may also work for the HSD.

Search for:

wwest maf/iat disconnect

Just looked this matter up at techinfo.toyota.com

The RX350 has a "VSC" pushbutton underneath the dash about where the driver's right knee might rest, between the gas pedal and the brake.

PB is dual function, TC off, then a 3 second press will turn VSC off.

The RX400h apparently does not have this feature.

Just looked this matter up at techinfo.toyota.com

The RX350 has a "VSC" pushbutton underneath the dash about where the driver's right knee might rest, between the gas pedal and the brake.

PB is dual function, TC off, then a 3 second press will turn VSC off.

The RX400h apparently does not have this feature.

D'oh!! i wish lexus wasn't so !Removed! when it came to safety. I turnd off htat annnoying seat belt beeping noise, thank god ( i drive around parking lots with my belt off so i can run to the train quckly, dont lecture me on safety)

Search for:

wwest maf/iat disconnect

thanks that was an interesting writeup you had,

where do i search for maf/iat disconnect? wouldn't that ruin your car? I can just pull the trac fuse but that might cause a check engine light to pop up

The MAF/IAT module is located between the intake air filter and the throttle valve. The disconnect/reconnect will simply be recorded as an intermittent electrical connection, no harm, no foul. The engine control system will IMMEDIATELY return to normal operation and the CEL, TC & VSC diagnostic/failure indications will go out within a few drive cycles, and TC/VSC will resume functioning, provided the "incident" doesn't recur.

This topic has been kicked around many times and WWEST is the expert.

I asked my salesperson who directed me to the service manager. He said you CANNOT turn off TC on an RX400h and then went into a "why would you want to" and I replied in certain rare conditions where all four wheels are on slippery surfaces and he replied something like, "Well, that's like on ice and you can't go anywhere, anyway."

THANKS A LOT!

There is a complicated procedure (I lifted from another message board) for SOME Toyotas but I doubt if it works on the 400h:

"The method below works. But you need to do each time you start the car if you want the TC off. By default it turns back on each time you start the car.

1. Make sure the car is in Park and the parking brake is disengaged before you start the car.

2. Start the engine.

3. Engage the parking brake.

4. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.

5. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.

6. Disengage the parking brake.

7. Fully depress and hold down the brake pedal.

8. Engage the parking brake, then disengage it (while holding down the brake pedal).

9. Engage the parking brake, then disengage it (while holding down the brake pedal).

10. Release the brake pedal.

11. Engage the parking brake.

12. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.

13. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.

Its a bit convoluted, but i tried it and i works."

I haven't bothered to try it with my '08 400h AWD, if anybody else wants to, be my guest and please report your success or lack thereof.

I turned off that annnoying seat belt beeping noise, thank God

How did you do this?

Tom

there should be a post on this forum, let me see if i can find it for you and link you up.

How did you do this?

Tom

there should be a post on this forum, let me see if i can find it for you and link you up.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...mp;hl=seat+belt

Here is an example to turn off the seat belt warning:

1. turn the key to the ON position (press Start 2 times), foot off the brake

2. cycle the odometer with the trip reset button until the ODO is displayed (not trip A or B )

3. turn the ignition to the LOCK (OFF) position

4. unbuckle the driver's seatbelt if it was buckled.

5. turn the key to the ON position (Press Start 2 times). when the dash lights have come on, press and hold the trip reset button and count a slow 12 seconds. (editor's note, hold it more like 30 sec)

6. while still holding the trip reset button, buckle the driver's side seatbelt.

7. the odometer display should read "b ON" or "b OFF". toggle the beep OFF with the trip reset.

8. the process should be completed when you unbuckle or turn the key off

there you go, enjoy!!! B)

This topic has been kicked around many times and WWEST is the expert.

I asked my salesperson who directed me to the service manager. He said you CANNOT turn off TC on an RX400h and then went into a "why would you want to" and I replied in certain rare conditions where all four wheels are on slippery surfaces and he replied something like, "Well, that's like on ice and you can't go anywhere, anyway."

THANKS A LOT!

There is a complicated procedure (I lifted from another message board) for SOME Toyotas but I doubt if it works on the 400h:

"The method below works. But you need to do each time you start the car if you want the TC off. By default it turns back on each time you start the car.

1. Make sure the car is in Park and the parking brake is disengaged before you start the car.

2. Start the engine.

3. Engage the parking brake.

4. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.

5. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.

6. Disengage the parking brake.

7. Fully depress and hold down the brake pedal.

8. Engage the parking brake, then disengage it (while holding down the brake pedal).

9. Engage the parking brake, then disengage it (while holding down the brake pedal).

10. Release the brake pedal.

11. Engage the parking brake.

12. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.

13. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.

Its a bit convoluted, but i tried it and i works."

I haven't bothered to try it with my '08 400h AWD, if anybody else wants to, be my guest and please report your success or lack thereof.

this doesn't work, just tried a couple of times. shucks!!! i hope there is another way to turn off trac!! :(

How did you do this?

Tom

2. cycle the odometer with the trip reset button until the ODO is displayed (not trip A or B )

5. turn the key to the ON position (Press Start 2 times). when the dash lights have come on, press and hold the trip reset button and count a slow 12 seconds. (editor's note, hold it more like 30 sec)

6. while still holding the trip reset button, buckle the driver's side seatbelt.

7. the odometer display should read "b ON" or "b OFF". toggle the beep OFF with the trip reset.

Thanks, Neon. I was hoping for you, or someone, to tell me where I can find the annoying gong and permanently unplug it.

Tom

How did you do this?

Tom

Thanks, Neon. I was hoping for you, or someone, to tell me where I can find the annoying gong and permanently unplug it.

Tom

No problem! i was thrilled when i found that article so i figured i'd share the wealth :)

Now that I think about it a bit deeper it shouldn't surprise us, given the level of torque, HIGH level of torque, that can be "delivered" to the front drive wheels of the RXh, that TC cannot be disabled.

"That" level of torque at the front can quickly turn DANGEROUS, not giving the driver time to react.

• 6 years later...