Air Bag Help Needed

Jens

Hello All! I had a minor car accident - you would hardly know I was hit from the exterior damage - however, the guy hit me in just the right place and both air bags deployed. I am havng to fix this on my own so I am looking for affordable options as everything else I've looked at costs a fortune!! Any thoughts on where I might look? Pitfalls, etc. THank you!!

Hello All! I had a minor car accident - you would hardly know I was hit from the exterior damage - however, the guy hit me in just the right place and both air bags deployed. I am havng to fix this on my own so I am looking for affordable options as everything else I've looked at costs a fortune!! Any thoughts on where I might look? Pitfalls, etc. THank you!!

Jens-Do you have mechanical experience? More importantly- do you have airbag experience? I have worked on airbag systems and they are very diverse from vehicle to vehicle but also VERY COMPLICATED. Some cars you have to replace the sensors, some cars they automatically reset. Some cars have sensors in the module with a particular model and if the module is not replaced with the front sensors it may very well blow the air bags on you when you plug them in. (God forbid that you should unsuspectedly be in the way). Some cars have as many as 3 fuses in the air bag system and it may blow 1 (almost certainly) or 2 of the 3. When I say they are VERY COMPLICATED and no 2 alike (and can be very dangerous), that is not an idle statement. If you actually are going to do it yourself, I would get a complete education on YOUR PARTICULAR MODEL AND YEAR unless you have already worked on them and are experienced in air bag work. Not trying to be harsh- just that I always had a healthy respect for them and you should too. :(

I do a lot of DIY work on my vehicles and I would NEVER, EVER do airbag work on them. An airbag certified individual has been trained, and has the tools necessary to check out the impact sensors and wiring prior to installing new or used, but good, airbags.

Airbags are explosive and can cause bodily harm if improperly handled. This is not an area for amateurs or DIY guys.

Gary