Rx350 Awd Vs Fwd

I am contemplating between getting AWD or FWD. Most of the driving will be in the flat area in suburbia and freeway. I may occasionally go to tahoe skiing during winter months. I wanted to know whether by going for AWD I will be getting substantially worse MPG. The dealer says the difference is 1 MPG, not sure how real this number is. Also, are there other noticeable differences, like torque, handling, etc.?

We've been getting about 21mpg (calculated by dividing miles by gallons at fill up) in the bay area, with most of that being on the freeway on our AWD RX350. The reason we went with AWD is because the law in this state says that if you don't have it, you have to chain up in R1 conditions and, like you, enjoy winter time trips to Tahoe. I'm not sure how well this vehicle will do in the snow with the stock tires and questionable AWD system, but I'll update with my opinion next winter!

I also have AWD and get about 21 mpg in mixed driving. In the St Louis area this year we had some decent snowfalls. During one 6-8" snowfall I went out to see how my new 350 would do in the snow and I actually found it pretty amazing. You wont be disappointed.

My wife's 08 350 gets about 19-20 in town and on trips to Reno we've be getting about 25+. This last winter we got caught in on of the snow storms coming home and the All wheel drive allowed us not to have to chain up, it also worked very well no slipping at all with stock tires.

Jeff

• 15 years later...

I'm interested in buying a 2015 RX and I'm undecided on whether to buy one with FWD or AWD. I don't care so much about MPG but I would be interested in knowing if there is a difference in the way each model handles on the road.