White/blue Headlights And Yellow Fog Light Bulbs

I used to be all about the hyper white/bluish look for headlights (H7) and fogs (H3). I was enlightened upon buying my car that Lexus is known for its yellow fogs although they didn't come on the 1998 ES300. I thought it'd be nice and wanted to purchase them (at first I thought, "yellow? what the...?" but the more I thought about it, it just makes sense... the enlightenment). Has anyone with an ES in the 3rd gen bought bulb replacements for the hyper white/bluish headlights or yellow fogs look?? I'm looking for a bright yellow, not amber at all. There are some of those iffy eBay ones, but in my past experiences, I bought some eBay bulbs for a Mazda 626 and they never gave me a problem for over two years that I had the car. I saw some TeXon yellow fogs at a good price... anyone had these or know anything about them?? Also, I don't use the high beams (9005) that much, but I might as well get those too right? Any advice about any bulb model would be helpful.

And yes, I'm doing it for the look!

How much do you want to spend?

Sylvania Ultras are a decent bulb. They run about $50/pair.

If you want to go more, then look into PIAA's Xtreme White bulbs.

As for the yellow fogs, I always used the PIAA Ion Crystals.

steviej

post-688-1210819869_thumb.jpg

As far money goes, $25-$30 for a pair of headlight bulbs. And maybe the same for the fogs. Throw in shipping for all... around $80.

If you add the high beams, another $25-$30 for the pair. Add shipping costs and total around $120.

I've seen the PIAA Plasma Ions for $50 with free ship, but then I see these TeXon's for half the price. Both were on eBay. I remember spending $40 total for my Mazda headlights. And I know, its a Mazda versus a Lexus, but we're also just talking about light bulbs!

I used to be all about the hyper white/bluish look for headlights (H7) and fogs (H3). I was enlightened upon buying my car that Lexus is known for its yellow fogs although they didn't come on the 1998 ES300. I thought it'd be nice and wanted to purchase them (at first I thought, "yellow? what the...?" but the more I thought about it, it just makes sense... the enlightenment). Has anyone with an ES in the 3rd gen bought bulb replacements for the hyper white/bluish headlights or yellow fogs look?? I'm looking for a bright yellow, not amber at all. There are some of those iffy eBay ones, but in my past experiences, I bought some eBay bulbs for a Mazda 626 and they never gave me a problem for over two years that I had the car. I saw some TeXon yellow fogs at a good price... anyone had these or know anything about them?? Also, I don't use the high beams (9005) that much, but I might as well get those too right? Any advice about any bulb model would be helpful.

If you want a 'useable' fog lamp, get some 'white' fog lamps.

Yellow lamps are great for letting someone else see YOU, but, for YOU to see someone else. . . white fog lamps are best.

Call me old school. . . o.k., I'm a dinosaur. . . . I want to see down the road. I can miss something that I can see. I don't trust other drivers.

Especially in and around Washington, DC, where I drive!

Guess you didn't see that part.

From what I've read, yellow actually IMPROVES cutting through fog. I happen to live in San Diego where we do get fog from time to time, but not much rain. Visibility issues aren't really a prob. Like I said, this is about the look of the car. My eyesight is great enough... I'll manage.

I checked out the PIAA Plasma Yellow Ions and found some online for a good price. I sure wish someone has had some of the cheaper ones to offer some advice on their reliability/look.

With the yellow fogs out of the way, the headlights/high beams questions remain.

Added Silverstar "clear" incandescent amber lights to the corners. I kinda hate that bluish look they have when the car isn't off but the ricer look of white turn signals takes away from the luxury look of the car. IMO of course. I'll post the pics when this whole project is over.

Also, just purchased the PIAA Plasma Ion Crystal yellow foggys that someone mentioned were almost identical to the color output to the yellow fogs that came on the 92-96 ES models. I didn't know that those little round fogs came standard...??? IMO, they don't look all that great on the ES in terms of placement, but obviously people like them because they still have them on the car. Should arrive by the end of the week.

As far as the headlights, I thought Philips Diamond Vision bulbs look pretty good. A tad expensive, but has anyone with a 97-01 model have any recommendations? I thought the Silverstar Ultras go quick for the money? Could be wrong.

• 4 weeks later...

I installed the PIAAs but I'm not really happy. They create this bluish area in the housing with a pale yellow light. Maybe those Texons, with their true yellow glass construction, would be better at producing a yellow light than the rainbow-like PIAA glass. I'll check it out!

If you want a 'useable' fog lamp, get some 'white' fog lamps.

Yellow lamps are great for letting someone else see YOU, but, for YOU to see someone else. . . white fog lamps are best.

No, there's more to it than that.

Anyone who has ever snow skiied in marginal light conditions at night, or in foggy conditions (fairly common on the slopes) can tell you how dramatically goggles with a slight yellow tint are as an aid, virtually a REQUIRED aid, in terrain definition. I always use AW, All Weather, Fog bulbs.

Call me old school. . . o.k., I'm a dinosaur. . . . I want to see down the road. I can miss something that I can see. I don't trust other drivers.

Especially in and around Washington, DC, where I drive!

"old school".. OLD SCHOOL...!!!

I'll be 68 next month and still consider life as a learning experience, THROUGHOUT.

If you own an asian origin vehicle, or regretably now many newer US ones, you may need to revise the fog light control circuit so that when fogs are really needed you can use them without interference from the low beams.