Should I Paint My Calipers

Hey Everyone,

I just got an '07 350 a month ago. Its Smokey Granite Mica w/ a Grey Interior. It has the 18" rims. I am considering painting my brake calipers. The first color that comes to mind is red but I just wanted to get everyone's opinion. I think it might look really cool and sporty but on the other hand it might look a bit overdone since I don't have any of the body packages on except for the rear spoiler.

I'm also open to suggestions for different colors as well. What do you all think? I attatched a couple pics of my car to share as well. It was raining so they aren't the best quality but I live in Portland so I guess thats just normal! :-)

post-48179-1210744447_thumb.jpg

post-48179-1210744483_thumb.jpg

post-48179-1210744520_thumb.jpg

post-48179-1210744648_thumb.jpg

Hey Everyone,

I just got an '07 350 a month ago. Its Smokey Granite Mica w/ a Grey Interior. It has the 18" rims. I am considering painting my brake calipers. The first color that comes to mind is red but I just wanted to get everyone's opinion. I think it might look really cool and sporty but on the other hand it might look a bit overdone since I don't have any of the body packages on except for the rear spoiler.

I'm also open to suggestions for different colors as well. What do you all think? I attached a couple pics of my car to share as well. It was raining so they aren't the best quality but I live in Portland so I guess thats just normal! :-)

Scorpio... welcome fellow newbie! That's a beautiful color. I especially like the fin on the back. I considered an immaculate '07 that very color before going with my '08 Black Sapphire. IMHO, it is easy to achieve a ricer look if you aren't careful when painting the calipers. I haven't looked closely at mine, but is there a Lexus name or logo on them? If so, I think that painting them gloss black, with just red lettering would look superb. That would make them pop, without looking over the top.

Just my .02 Good luck with the choice, and be sure to post the 'after' pics!

I'd go with silver. That always looks good. The G2 system silver looks just like shiny metal. Than some black Lexus logo stickers.

Now, there's someone who has thought it through. Great suggestion! Would the calipers get too hot for applied stickers though?

I'd go with silver. That always looks good. The G2 system silver looks just like shiny metal. Than some black Lexus logo stickers.

Now, there's someone who has thought it through. Great suggestion! Would the calipers get too hot for applied stickers though?

I drove the car for 2 years and the paint and stickers still looked great. I never put clear coat over the stickers either.

I just painted mine black, put on white stickers and clear coated. They look really good...understanded but noticable. My Cayman has red and it looks good on that car, but it seems to showy for this one. Any will post pix if interested.

Yeah, they have paint caliper painting kits available. Or you can just use high temp paint. As Bartkat suggested, silver is a good low key color that just looks good without drawing to much attention. On my IS 300 I painted them red and used the black stickers on it. Very noticable, and attention drawing. But black calipers with silver stickers would look really good also. That is the color combo I was thinking of doing for mine. I have the Obsidian Black though. And I was contemplating blacking out the car. But I haven't made up my mind yet. So until I do I was just going to wait. I've seen Kawasaki Green, that looks good, but you have to be able to carry that color. Yellow is pretty cool looking also.

Hey Everyone,

I'm also open to suggestions for different colors as well. What do you all think? I attatched a couple pics of my car to share as well. It was raining so they aren't the best quality but I live in Portland so I guess thats just normal! :-)

nice one! but correct me if I am wrong ... but your rims look like they are the standard 17" ...

Hey Everyone,

nice one! but correct me if I am wrong ... but your rims look like they are the standard 17" ...

The spokes look like the 18's that I came on mine.

Hey Everyone,

The spokes look like the 18's that I came on mine.

the spokes on my IS250 looks exactly the same as the ones on Scorpios ... and mine are no 18"s

Well, I just went into the garage to double check, I have an 08, and the spokes are the same, my finish is the darker silver, but they are the same pattern and mine are definately 18's. So maybe they make the same spoke pattern in both 17 and 18's. The only way to settle that is to get a close up pic of it and see.

Well, I just went into the garage to double check, I have an 08, and the spokes are the same, my finish is the darker silver, but they are the same pattern and mine are definately 18's. So maybe they make the same spoke pattern in both 17 and 18's. The only way to settle that is to get a close up pic of it and see.

attached is a picture from the Lexus website of the 18" rims ... my 17" have 10 spokes, while - if i can count right - the 18" have 15 spokes! i personally like the 18"s for its darker shade ... anyway i can change the colors besides having to spray paint them? B)

post-68797-1210819977_thumb.jpg

attached is a picture from the Lexus website of the 18" rims ... my 17" have 10 spokes, while - if i can count right - the 18" have 15 spokes! i personally like the 18"s for its darker shade ... anyway i can change the colors besides having to spray paint them? B)

well, attached is a picture of what is printed on the side of my tire:

post-42851-1210820473_thumb.jpg

and here is a pic of the 10 spoke rim:

post-42851-1210820522_thumb.jpg

those definately 18's yes?

haha! that was quick! agreed .... those are 18"s! anyway, i can change my 17"s shade to a darker tone? :lol:

I have sam ting.

That's the accessory wheel

18-in ISP Mode alloy wheels with 18-in tires

http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/accessories...ls_w-Tires.html

There are also the G-Spider wheels

http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/accessories...w-Tires_IS.html

But the wheels Smooth1 has pictured are the factory optional 18 inch wheels.

That's the accessory wheel

18-in ISP Mode alloy wheels with 18-in tires

http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/accessories...ls_w-Tires.html

There are also the G-Spider wheels

http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/accessories...w-Tires_IS.html

But the wheels Smooth1 has pictured are the factory optional 18 inch wheels.

Ah! lesson learnt! :lol:

I painted my front calipers all black with chrome Lexus decals and then decided to polish the front face and attach black decals. Preferred the latter so finished them like that. The decals and polished face have two coats of Lechlar clear laquer so I don't have to repolish, just keep clean. Apologies for the quality of the pics, but used my camera 'phone. :blushing:

09052008020ec8.jpg

09052008023an2.jpg