Front Brake Dust 08' Gs350

Have a new 08' GS350 and love the car! One of my biggest pet peeves with vehicles is front brake dust on the wheels. This car is the worst I have ever owned in my life regarding brake dust. I clean the rims, make one trip to town and they have a coating on them right away. Let it go for two days and they are black.

The car currently has 1700 miles on it and wondered if anyone has experience with Ceramic pads for this car. Lexus obviously is using a VERY CHEAP brake pad material that wears extremely fast. This may seem trivial to some but it is a great way to make a $55K car look like @#*& in a hurry!!. Looking for a solution, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!,

If you read the fine prints in your manual, it tells you that the pads are high friction pad. High friction pad use very soft material, it doesnt mean they are cheap. There is a TSB for excessive brake dust for the 07 GS, which they change out the front pads to regular pad with produce less dust but doesnt perform as well. The TSB for the 08 is not out yet, you have to wait til it comes out i guess.

Thanks for the info G man!, I will check with my dealer and see about getting them changed out.

I switched mine after about 5K miles. It's true that the low dust pads do not perform as well, but the difference is minor and you would have to be doing some long hard breaking to tell the difference. I drive somewhat aggressively at times at the drop in performance was insignificant. The cleanliness of my car is another story. There is a huge difference between the dust generated in the two pads. Wheels will stay clean with the low dust pads. There is some squeaking that will come from the low dust pads. That's the trade-off. With the stock pads you get ultra performance but lots of dust and short pad life. With the low dust pads you get little to no dust, quite a bit of noise and much, much better pad life.

• 2 weeks later...

The dealer just swap mine pads out, no squeaking and seems to be less dust. They will change out the pads even if its a 08, but they gave me a hard time and I had to argue with the service manager for about 30 mins b 4 he agree to do it.

I own an 07 GS350 with 8500 miles. I learned about the brake dust TSB when I read this thread a few weeks ago. So I called my dealer and mentioned the TSB. They were happy to set an appointment to swap the pads out at no charge. I have had no problems with the new pads, there is less dust, and I feel no performance difference.

• 5 weeks later...

Well we took our 08' in to the dealer to see what they could do. They did agree to replace the pads at no charge with a different pad. We have been running it now for about 3 weeks and there is considerably less brake dust. I see no difference in braking performance and no squeeks so far. Very pleased with this pad! Yes, there is a light amount after driving around but now it is reasonable. Thanks to everyone who commented on the situation and if the brake dust drives you nuts like me....there are alternatives.

Just had the low dust pads installed by my dealer last Thurs.Did the same thing when I had my IS.

I don't really feel a difference in braking except for the less grabbiness of the new pads.I like the less grabby brakes.

Love not having to clean my wheels every 30 or so miles. :D

• 2 years later...

If you read the fine prints in your manual, it tells you that the pads are high friction pad. High friction pad use very soft material, it doesnt mean they are cheap. There is a TSB for excessive brake dust for the 07 GS, which they change out the front pads to regular pad with produce less dust but doesnt perform as well. The TSB for the 08 is not out yet, you have to wait til it comes out i guess.

Do you know the TSB for the 07 GS350?

Start with these.

SB0155-09 NOV 09 Brakes - Excessive Brake Dust On Front Wheels

SB0040-09 APR 09 Brakes - Front Brake Squeal/Squeak In Cold Weather

SB0121-08R2 MAR 09 Brakes - Excessive Brake Dust On Wheels

steviej