Body & Window Protection

A friend recommends that I protect the outside body of the my new '08 Lexus LS460 with a "Clear Bra" protective film similar to window tinting except this film is a little stronger. It only protects against light roadway debris like pebbles, twigs, sand, or other grit that might cause scratches to the body paint. The covered areas would be the hood, fenders, side mirrors, windshield, rear trunk area, headlights and the package would include door edge guards. Since this is a fairly expensive proposition (over $1,000), I thought I'd ask for an opinion here in the forum.

Has anybody gone to this extreme to protect the outside body paint? Are there other ways of accomplishing the same goal?

Like to hear your views.

Redfoxtrot

All cars in the US now are required to use water-based paint which is not as tough as the old oil-based paint. Lexus paint is a little softer than Mercedes or BMW and "chips" quite easily. If you're planning many long road trips at 70mph and you're real picky about "chips," get 3M clearbra and cover the entire hood (not just the front third) and the other areas you mentioned. If you're only gonna keep the car for three years, and no one else but you will notice -- skip it.

See here for more info: http://clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php...hlight=clearbra

Either way, I strongly recommend applying a paint enchancer and sealer like Wolfgang or Zaino ASAP before you consider a clearbra.

A friend recommends that I protect the outside body of the my new '08 Lexus LS460 with a "Clear Bra" protective film similar to window tinting except this film is a little stronger. It only protects against light roadway debris like pebbles, twigs, sand, or other grit that might cause scratches to the body paint. The covered areas would be the hood, fenders, side mirrors, windshield, rear trunk area, headlights and the package would include door edge guards. Since this is a fairly expensive proposition (over $1,000), I thought I'd ask for an opinion here in the forum.

Has anybody gone to this extreme to protect the outside body paint? Are there other ways of accomplishing the same goal?

Like to hear your views.

Redfoxtrot

Just traded my '03 LS430 for a '08 LS460. When I bought my new LS430 in '03 I immediately has an invisible bra installed. Never had any stone chips in the 68,000 I drove it. I live in Arizona where stone chips fly all the time from our sandy, gravely roads. Five years later when I traded it for my new LS460, the first thing I did when I left the dealership in the new car was drive to the car protection shop and had an invisible bra installed. I would not be without one. Additionally, the paint on the '08s is not as hard as it was on my '03. This is my 3rd LS series. Had a new LS400, kept it 5 years, traded it for a new LS430, kept it 5 years and two weeks ago traded it for my LS460. Each LS series was a dramatic improvement over the ealier series. I will never own anything except a Lexus LS series car.

• 2 weeks later...

The truth about clear bras is that after you have them on your car, they are a pain. Don't get me wrong, they do the job, but when it comes to cleaning the car, the clear bras take extra care. For example, my installer told me. No soap, no wax. So when I wash the car I have to exclude the clear bra and then just use plain water on it, Afterwards, I have to wax (spray) around it. Then I have Plexxus plastic spray to clean the clear bra. It really is a pain, and the more clear material you have, the bigger the pain. I don't think a full hood is worth it. First 18 inches is OK. (Also, the clear bra, no matter what salesmen will tell you, takes away from the pure sheen of the paint. A full hood would look dull compared to the rest of the car.

This is a quote from another site. FYI

I had Stoneguard installed the 3m "clear bra". The approved installer Accutint told me that to wait a week then clean & polish the car as normal. I do not use a car wash but he said it's OK even for that.

Apart from the line on the hood which can only be seen looking from the back end of the car the rest is invisible. They did say using polish if you rub from winscreen to radiator leaves a reside but just wipe along it. Even suggested using a 'chewed' wooden toothpick to do it!! Don't think I'll try it but an ear bud thingy was fine.

Either way, I strongly recommend applying a paint enchancer and sealer like Wolfgang or Zaino ASAP before you consider a clearbra.

Why? Sealants and wax won't protect against chips, and they would be removed before the clearbra was installed.

The truth about clear bras is that after you have them on your car, they are a pain. Don't get me wrong, they do the job, but when it comes to cleaning the car, the clear bras take extra care. For example, my installer told me. No soap, no wax. So when I wash the car I have to exclude the clear bra and then just use plain water on it, Afterwards, I have to wax (spray) around it. Then I have Plexxus plastic spray to clean the clear bra. It really is a pain, and the more clear material you have, the bigger the pain. I don't think a full hood is worth it. First 18 inches is OK. (Also, the clear bra, no matter what salesmen will tell you, takes away from the pure sheen of the paint. A full hood would look dull compared to the rest of the car.

These are fallacies. It says right on the manufacturer's website that they can be waxed, sealed, and washed just like the paint. The only thing you don't want to use is an abrasive polish, you'd want to use a polish made for plastic, like Plexus or Novus.

As for the sheen, the newer clearbras are much smoother...