'07 Gx470 Wind Noise

JimC08

I'm new to the forum and have an '07 GX470 that makes an excessive amount of wind noise (sounds like a plastic bag flapping in the wind) from the front passenger side. I read a similar post from 2005 in which most indicated their GX470's were quiet in this respect.

The vehicle is now in the shop for the 2nd time to address this issue. The 1st time they replaced the outside door window trim piece on the rear side of the passenger door (supposedly they have a tsb on this), but it did not help. This time they replaced all the rubber door seals on the passenger door and have called me to say it didn't help. My question is have any other owners of later model GX470's experienced this? The noise from the passenger side is more noticeable to the driver than that generated on the driver's side. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

I want to add that my Lexus dealer is being very responsive to this problem and is working hard to find a solution. Just wanted to see if anyone can provide insight from their experience.

I'm new to the forum and have an '07 GX470 that makes an excessive amount of wind noise (sounds like a plastic bag flapping in the wind) from the front passenger side. I read a similar post from 2005 in which most indicated their GX470's were quiet in this respect.

The vehicle is now in the shop for the 2nd time to address this issue. The 1st time they replaced the outside door window trim piece on the rear side of the passenger door (supposedly they have a tsb on this), but it did not help. This time they replaced all the rubber door seals on the passenger door and have called me to say it didn't help. My question is have any other owners of later model GX470's experienced this? The noise from the passenger side is more noticeable to the driver than that generated on the driver's side. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

I want to add that my Lexus dealer is being very responsive to this problem and is working hard to find a solution. Just wanted to see if anyone can provide insight from their experience.

You may want to check the inside window seal at the base of the window on the passenger side. I had a problem with these interior seals on an 07' RX 400h that I traded in for my second GX. The seals on the RX and GX are similar in design. You could try temporarily putting some masking tape over the area where the inside seal meets the window and going for a drive to see if this helps...

Jim

I have had two or three times in high wind conditions when I heard a loud flopping noise at 50-70mph.

I had trouble telling where the sound was coming from. I found that tightening alll of the knobs on the roof rack stopped the sound

I have had two or three times in high wind conditions when I heard a loud flopping noise at 50-70mph.

I had trouble telling where the sound was coming from. I found that tightening alll of the knobs on the roof rack stopped the sound

Might also want to make sure that the dealer didn't install one or both of the crossbars in reverse...

We had this problem and the dealer claimed to have re-inserted a piece of the rubber door seal trim... so check that, all the way around the door. In our case, that was coming loose, but didn't fix the problem.

I finally chased down the real culprit: The lower plastic panel on the front passenger door had come loose. These have push clips. Push the panel toward the door with your hands and they should pop into place. I suspect it came loose when some passenger pushed the door open along the lower edge with their foot.

Hope that helps.

WIND NOISE PROBLEM SOLVED!

Thanks to all who responded with suggestions! The dealer located the cause of the noise which turned out to be air infiltration around the exterior door handle assembly, which they replaced. After installing the new parts, the noise is gone. The folks at Lexus of Portland really deserve a thumbs up for their determination in making sure this problem was solved.

• 1 month later...

Hello forum, I myself am new to this forum. I have a 2004 Lexus GX470, it is a beauty but for this damn wind noise, I have been to Lexus twice here in MA, but to no awail, they say there is no wind noise. I get distracted so much by this wind noise, especially when it is windy, then the noise is unbearable.

Need help from all of you guys.....

Regards/Raj