Should I Buy?

tomsheist

should i buy this car? its a sc300 1992. he wants 3k for it and it has 190k miles. the engine was rebuilt at 120k miles and he says it runs great. it is smogged and all works inside he says. any imput would be great like to fix it. it has a crack on the back of it from a car hitting it while it was parked. is body work expensive on these. I was like whoa, a sc300 for 3 grand.. let me know.

Body work is body work I guess.. All of it is 90% labor, and what's what you're going to pay for. If it's in the plastic you can get away with a body kit or atleast a rear end, so you don't have to have actual body work done, just spraying. As for should you buy it? I really don't know. I haven't seen the car, but for 3K I would be prepared for atleast 1,000 dollars worth of extra things you'll want to fix, maybe more. All depends on the car, and the driver. I'd personally like to know why the car's first engine only lasted to 120k. If you haven't done already go and look at the car, tell him to take you for a ride and show you what the car can do. If he beats on it with you in the car, he's always beaten it, and be prepared for that. Also take a look under the hood, if under the hood is clean, that's usually a good sign that car has been maintained. Probably 80% of people that care for their car and maintain it, clean under the hood at some point in time. Just a natural progression. If there's oil over where under the hood, again, another sign that the car has had a rough life.

Run the vin#. Look at the car. If it is clean and drives well - I'd be hard pressed to not by it actually.

I'd also plan on replacing a lot of things (like bushings and suspension) if I did get it. Definitely a project car. I wouldn't rely on it for much. But it could be a nice surprise if it holds up.