Supra Swap

cali-love06

Thought that this would make a great project for my IS. I would love to be able to perform this swap on my car but wanted to know if you guys thought it was worth it, and also if this might be a great buy. And does anyone know if the auto tranny that went with that particular motor would be able to work with my e-shift model IS? Ive checked out someother websites but this one pops up a lot so i used it as an example. Thanks...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-TOYOTA-...0224384627&

That's a descent buy. It's allways somewhat risky purchasing big items like that over the internet. Especially if there is a problem and you need to return and all that, the question allways comes up who is paying for the frieght. Generally speaking, to ship a motor anywhere in the US it's about 350 bucks. So that is allways a concern.

I have purchased a few motors from Ebay and a few other long distance places. I had 2 great experiences, 1 that made me nervous but worked out in the end, and 1 nightmare that required too many phone calls and more curse words than I normally like to string together.

Keep in mind, with this purchase:

You'll more than likely need to replace the turbo, and maybe the wastegate. That could run you about 2 grand.

You will want to add an intercooler. Not really expensive, but something else you'll need to address.

Add all the gauges. that could be expensive. But that's up to you.

If you decide to increase the turbo size, and all, then while the motor is out it only makes sense to open the motor and check everything out. Maybe get whatever internal work you want done completed then. As for the trans, I don't see what trans they used listed. It looks pretty close to the stock tranny size. I'm not sure about the output shaft from the pictures, but that's not too much of a problem. I doubt the tranny will work with the Eshift unless it is an OE96 trans, but you may be able to put a shift kit on it, and wire it to those buttons.

Do you know of a good place to buy the motor that your talking about? Is that still the twin turbo motor? Same question, with the mototr your talking about will i be able to use my e- shift or is it that once i do the swap e-shift is out the window? Thanks for the help...

• 3 weeks later...
Thought that this would make a great project for my IS. I would love to be able to perform this swap on my car but wanted to know if you guys thought it was worth it, and also if this might be a great buy. And does anyone know if the auto tranny that went with that particular motor would be able to work with my e-shift model IS? Ive checked out someother websites but this one pops up a lot so i used it as an example. Thanks...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-TOYOTA-...0224384627&

so hows the swap going?

Well i recently had to do some minor maintenance on the car (new bulbs, battery, replace the starter) and i got ahold of a guy at the lexus service center who is good friends with the guys at SRT Racing. After talking to him i now plan to take my car to those boys and have them work their magic on my little obsession (as the wife calls it :P ) and go ahead and get the 2JZ-GTE short block and have them do all the tuning and mods in the shop. Im also going to swap in a supra 6-speed maual with upgraded clutch disk. After about 2 months the work should be completed. Sorry i have nothing to show yet, but believe me when i say i will definetely post pictures as soon as i possibly can...