97 Es300 Transmision Trouble?

Hi, i bought a used 98' es300 about a year and a half ago from a lexus dealer and everything has been fine. i maintain it as it should and all that. Recently i noticed that when i accelerate the car, the rpm needle seems to run all the way to the red until i release the gas. I had the transmission fluid flushed as i thought that would solve the problem but the problem persists. The Lexus manual says that every 90,000 mi. the timing belt must be replaced...my car has 89,000 mi. right now. has anyone had this problem and if so, what is going on with my car?is there anything that must be replaced?

Hi, i bought a used 98' es300 about a year and a half ago from a lexus dealer and everything has been fine. i maintain it as it should and all that. Recently i noticed that when i accelerate the car, the rpm needle seems to run all the way to the red until i release the gas. I had the transmission fluid flushed as i thought that would solve the problem but the problem persists. The Lexus manual says that every 90,000 mi. the timing belt must be replaced...my car has 89,000 mi. right now. has anyone had this problem and if so, what is going on with my car?is there anything that must be replaced?

The timing belt should be replaced every 90,000 miles or 6 years. If you don't want to spend the money to change the belt, and wouldn't have a problem being stranded if the belt broke, you do not have to change it. Unlike most vehicles, your ES has a non-interference engine, meaning if the belt breaks, it will not cause damage to the engine.

Make sure you keep up with your cooling system maintenance. Coolant is what lubricates the water pump. If the engine has old dirty coolant in it, and the water pump siezes, it will take the timing belt right with it.

I was told by a service writer at my local Toyota dealer who recently finished "Toyota School" that none of the Toyota vehicles with timing belts (not chains) have interference engines. That rule does not apply to Lexus vehicles, but there are still some models with non-interference engines. Luckily, your ES was the last year for the car to still have one. .

Can you give any more details about the transmission issue?

Welcome speed (the title of your thread says you have a 97 ES....but in the actual thread you say it's a 98? :huh: )

I agree that if you are planning to keep your ES for a while that it's money well spent to get the timing belt & water pump changed....considering your pretty much at replacement mileage now.

Does this tranny issue happen only when the car is cold (and warming up) or does it happen when the car is also at the normal operating temperature? What kind of tranny fluid did you use?

:cheers:

MAybe the P1705 code is going to show up if you scan the car. Direct clutch speed sensor, it might not be working anymore, my car's sensor wasnt doing its job, i would shift at like 4500-5000 rpms until I got it replaced, It has been shifting smooth and sooner than before. Try to see if this is the case.

srry, it is indeed a 98 ES 300, typo. The problem persists that when i hit the gas pedal the RPM needle jumps all the way up to about 5 until i release the gas and then it will shift gears. it seems to only have troubles shifting from first to second because once im on the freeway the car is fine. It is still very annoying having to drive on the street and having to release the gas pedal. i took my car to a gas station where a mechanic drove the car around the block a bi tand told me that some kind of belt in the transmission was probably worn out. he told me its about a $3500 job to fix it. I still want to know what might be some possible scenarios im facing right now.