1998-99 Used 98-99 Gs (or Other) With Low Miles: Worth It Or Not?

I am looking to buy a used Lexus. Normally, I would think low miles means good things. But when we are talking about a 10-year old car with only 40-50K miles, does it really make a difference?

For example, if I bought such a low miles used car, can I really wait until I actually hit 90K to change the timing belt etc or should I have it done anyway?

Also are parts on a car mileage dependent or age dependent. What do I really gain by lower miles (in a 10+ year old car)?

Very basic question but I am wondering whether to pay more to buy a low miles car or just go with a car with more miles. Any thoughts would be great. Thanks.

new berlin it really depends on you and your personal preference. rickgus..........i bought my fully loaded 2001 gs430 off ebay last december with 70000 for ONLY $14000. :P

I am looking to buy a used Lexus. Normally, I would think low miles means good things. But when we are talking about a 10-year old car with only 40-50K miles, does it really make a difference?

For example, if I bought such a low miles used car, can I really wait until I actually hit 90K to change the timing belt etc or should I have it done anyway?

Also are parts on a car mileage dependent or age dependent. What do I really gain by lower miles (in a 10+ year old car)?

Very basic question but I am wondering whether to pay more to buy a low miles car or just go with a car with more miles. Any thoughts would be great. Thanks.

Howdy:

I have a 99 GS 300 I purchased new. It now has 53,000 miles. The car has always been garaged, and really does look almost new. I have always used dealer service departments. According to Edmond's I got $1,500 added to its resale value because of the low mileage, so I think it's safe to assume that the low milegage is valuable.

My dealer in Livingston, NJ (Warnock) is always after me to change the timing chain. It's an expensive operation, and I don't understand why they want to do it when the car has such low mileage, although the age of the car may be their justification.

I put the car on the market yesterday because I inherited a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee from my uncle, and I don't need three cars (I also have a 97 Aurora.)

maximumrandb

that makes no sense.........u selling your gs u bought new cause u inherited a jeep cheerokee but yet u join the forum NOW as u selling your car? that makes no sense! and if that was true y wouldnt u sell the jeep u will get better mileage outta the gs! not to mention creature comforts!

brian

new berlin it really depends on you and your personal preference. rickgus..........i bought my fully loaded 2001 gs430 off ebay last december with 70000 for ONLY $14000. :P

Yeah, but that's with TWICE the miles I have :P TWICE as wore out ;)