Considering A Purchase.

chillin245

I posted here a while back but never bought a lexus as i didnt need a new car for a few more months.

Basically i have a few questions about the ls400 and sc300.

Basically im trying to spend under 6 grand on either a ls400 or sc300

I like the SC better but my concern is , with so few around it may be really hard/expensive to get parts if something breaks.

Im gonna be doing a lot of highway cruising so i needed a car good for that, and i love the old lex's, i have a question also about the sc300's suspension. Is it really stiff or would it be more simlar to a luxury cars? I hate having a bumpy ride.

Thanks.

I posted here a while back but never bought a lexus as i didnt need a new car for a few more months.

I like the SC better but my concern is , with so few around it may be really hard/expensive to get parts if something breaks.

Im gonna be doing a lot of highway cruising so i needed a car good for that, and i love the old lex's, i have a question also about the sc300's suspension. Is it really stiff or would it be more simlar to a luxury cars? I hate having a bumpy ride.

Thanks.

the sc 's drivetrain is virtually identical the ls's, just in coupe form, if 6k is yr max i would look for a 93-97 ls, they arent "technically" as reliable as the original 89-92's, but they have better seats and a few more bells and whistles...

i have a 92, it is bulletproof, but my odo died at 238,xxx, the seats are horrendous, the front brakes eat the rotors, most of these issues were addressed in 93 and later...

but really if you find what you are looking for you cant go wrong with either...

for 6k, go with a medium mileage 95+ ls400. they are even more reliable than 1st gens. they also get slightly better gas mileage, and better headlights. Pretty much everything is just a bit better.

for 6k, go with a medium mileage 95+ ls400. they are even more reliable than 1st gens. they also get slightly better gas mileage, and better headlights. Pretty much everything is just a bit better.

i would agree, however i think that the 89-92 incident per 100 was still the lowest of all generations....if i am wrong great.

Thanks, I did some reading and it was good to know information.

I have a few more questions, Which one would cost more maintanance wise? i heard they are pretty similar cars so im assuming the costs would be similar?

How much yearly maintanance roughly will i expect?

Also im really worried about the low amount of sc400's i see in my area, could make getting parts hard.

Thanks, I did some reading and it was good to know information.

I have a few more questions, Which one would cost more maintanance wise? i heard they are pretty similar cars so im assuming the costs would be similar?

How much yearly maintanance roughly will i expect?

Also im really worried about the low amount of sc400's i see in my area, could make getting parts hard.

I would budget for an $500 to $1000 average annually to keep either one in top condition. Many of the parts you can get from a Toyota dealer and certainly almost anything online. The SC is very popular with tuners, so you have even more to chose from there. Call some parts shops in your area and find out what's available. Call the wreckers to find out how often they get these cars in and what kind of parts inventory they have. Check online for availability and prices. Read up on some of the threads for what problems to expect with each model. Want to minimize bad surprises, then ya gotta get busy and do your research.

Thanks, I'll definately check around ebay.

A few more questions, which one is better in terms of safetey? i'd estimate they're pretty close to the same.

Same weight class and all. I could be wrong though.

Thanks for all the helpful answers.

Thanks, I'll definately check around ebay.

A few more questions, which one is better in terms of safetey? i'd estimate they're pretty close to the same.

Same weight class and all. I could be wrong though.

Thanks for all the helpful answers.

Thanks.

Would you like to buy mine?.... it has a little first aid kit in the trunk

Mine cruises like a dream....about 28 mpg hiway...beautiful blue..leather seats...doesn't burn a drop of oil...automatic trans...moon roof...very deluxe...needs a water pump... :)

Thanks.

Would you like to buy mine?.... it has a little first aid kit in the trunk

Mine cruises like a dream....about 28 mpg hiway...beautiful blue..leather seats...doesn't burn a drop of oil...automatic trans...moon roof...very deluxe...needs a water pump... :)

I would but its gonna be about 2 months before i make the purchase, don't have enough right now and i need to do some more research.