Reset/disable Tire Pressure Monitor System

Hey guys I have a 2009 R350 (Pebble Beach Edition) and I just had a set of aftermarket wheels put on. I decided to have them them transfer the wheel sensors so now of course I have that annoying light come on. the reason i decided not to transfer the sensors was because when they tried to install one on a new wheel there's this plastic piece that protruded out above the lining of the wheel and i didn't want to take a chance of them cracking the sensor when they put the tire on..I read through various posts as well as conducted a google search and some people say take it to the dealer but they may not disable it because its a federal requirement. Others say there's no way to disable. I read a post on clublexus where there is some type of reset switch underneath the dashboard on the drivers side and if you have the sensors installed everytime you change the air pressure in the tire you have to turn the key to the ACC position and then click on this reset switch but that was for a 06-08 RX350 and i'm not sure if that would work if there are no sensors installed.

so basically my question is if i took it to the dealer can they just reset the system so the light just goes off? but i'm sure i'll get flack for taking the sensors out and they may not do it. so my 2nd question is on the 09 models is there anything i can do myself to disable the system or just to have that light turn off, that's really all i want to do, i don't have to necessarily disable the entire system, just turn off that light.

Hey guys I have a 2009 R350 (Pebble Beach Edition) and I just had a set of aftermarket wheels put on. I decided to have them them transfer the wheel sensors so now of course I have that annoying light come on. the reason i decided not to transfer the sensors was because when they tried to install one on a new wheel there's this plastic piece that protruded out above the lining of the wheel and i didn't want to take a chance of them cracking the sensor when they put the tire on..I read through various posts as well as conducted a google search and some people say take it to the dealer but they may not disable it because its a federal requirement. Others say there's no way to disable. I read a post on clublexus where there is some type of reset switch underneath the dashboard on the drivers side and if you have the sensors installed everytime you change the air pressure in the tire you have to turn the key to the ACC position and then click on this reset switch but that was for a 06-08 RX350 and i'm not sure if that would work if there are no sensors installed.

so basically my question is if i took it to the dealer can they just reset the system so the light just goes off? but i'm sure i'll get flack for taking the sensors out and they may not do it. so my 2nd question is on the 09 models is there anything i can do myself to disable the system or just to have that light turn off, that's really all i want to do, i don't have to necessarily disable the entire system, just turn off that light.

Take the bulb out works fine.

OK after careful review I decided to get the aftermarket shop to install the sensors. Just in case I ordered 2 spare sensors from Sewell Lexus parts online and the sensors were $109.62 each. I didn't find any sensors for $99 for a set a 4 and I don't mind spending a couple extra bucks buying the genuine parts from the dealer and they have good pricing. The local dealer here in NJ wanted $200 for one sensor. So Saturday I will have them put on and just in case they break one I have a backup.

I also bought the XM satellite unit for $299. How much should I expect the dealer to charge me to install the unit? I have heard anywhere from $600-$1500 depending on the dealer and that included parts and labor. I assume they probably charge around $400-500 for the unit itself and then another $200 or so for installation. I figured I have the parts so how much can they charge me for installation, I can't see them charging me like $400-500 right??

• 6 years later...

On my wife's RAV4 there is a TPS reset switch under the steering wheel somewhere. Of course without the sensors I doubt Toyota will touch it due to safety regulation. Wave of the future I'm afraid

The TPMS sensors on my 2007 RD 350 have died so I want to remove the bulb. How do I do that?

Surely all your TPM sensors have not died. Could one just needs a new battery? Have you done a TPMS reset to see if that turns off the warning light? A repair shop should be able to quickly identify a non-working sensor without removing the wheels from a car.

TPM sensors have gotten pretty cheap ... available from Amazon, ebay, etc. I bought a set for my winter wheels at Costco last year and a set from Tire Rack for my wife's winter wheels. I program the TPMS ID's into the ECU's of our vehicles using a inexpensive ATEQ Quickset tool I bought on Amazon.com.

I wouldn't recommend removing an instrument cluster to try to remove a warning bulb or diode - maybe cover the warning light with electrical tape?

Now yousee that it is true. You really do learn something new everyday. I'm I thought only Toyota could reprogram the TPS. Not sure if your reader will reset 2014 and on?

The ATEQ Quickset tool can program all current and past Toyota, Lexus and Scion TPMS as well as most other vehicles that have TPMS. Software updates are available each year from the ATEQ website.

The ATEQ Quickset was just under $150 including shipping when I bought it last year. It handles two sets of four wheels and sensors for up to four vehicles. After entering the TPMS codes into the ATEQ PC software and saving the codes to the Quickset tool, uploading the codes to the vehicle ECU is a matter of plugging the Quickset's cable into the vehicle OBD2 port and pressing a button on the Quickset. The Quickset paid for itself the first time Iused it.