What Typical Repairs And Cost Required Between 100k-120k?

seehack

I have a 1999 LX470 with 107k miles. I already changed timing belt, belts and water pump a year ago. Always service at Lexus. I am trying to figure out if I should spend $ fixing it or trade it in before 120k to avoid $1k service and $3k for recommend repairs. Any inputs on typical parts replacement or repair at 100+k? Here is what I am faced with after my 105k service,

1) Rear accumulators need replacement as I complained suspension is stiffer and more bouncy last 10k miles or so. $1450 for rear parts and labor. $2800 fpr all 4. Can I replacement the active suspension with non active for less $?

2) Sometimes car won't start....starter problem? Dealer cannot reproduce problem so no action right now. Quoted $1200 to replace the starter.

3) 120k miles service is $1200.

4) Brakes should be good for another 2 years. $800 per axle.

5) Tires maybe another year. $600 for 4.

So what else coming up for replacement?

I am thinking is it worth to spend $4k-$6k or just get another vehicle.

Please advise.

Thank you.

I am in a similar situation..will repair/replace as needed, but not by Lexus. Many cheaper options are available. I never go to them to stuff like brakes, etc.

Overall it would be much more expensive to buy or lease a similar new vehicle. My LX has been a very reliable machine so far.

I have a 1999 LX470 with 107k miles. I already changed timing belt, belts and water pump a year ago. Always service at Lexus. I am trying to figure out if I should spend $ fixing it or trade it in before 120k to avoid $1k service and $3k for recommend repairs. Any inputs on typical parts replacement or repair at 100+k? Here is what I am faced with after my 105k service,

1) Rear accumulators need replacement as I complained suspension is stiffer and more bouncy last 10k miles or so. $1450 for rear parts and labor. $2800 fpr all 4. Can I replacement the active suspension with non active for less $?

2) Sometimes car won't start....starter problem? Dealer cannot reproduce problem so no action right now. Quoted $1200 to replace the starter.

3) 120k miles service is $1200.

4) Brakes should be good for another 2 years. $800 per axle.

5) Tires maybe another year. $600 for 4.

So what else coming up for replacement?

I am thinking is it worth to spend $4k-$6k or just get another vehicle.

Please advise.

Thank you.

1) This has been done by SleeOffroad. You basically cap off the AHC lines and install stock Landcruiser torsion bars, shocks, & springs (or go aftermarket like Bilstein shocks for a firmer ride or Old Man Emu). You will lose the height control and damping features, of course. You should also replace the anti-sway bars (rear & front) w/ stock landcruiser anti-sway bars since the stock LX sway bars, torsion bar are thinner than the LC ones, and the stock LX springs won't hold as much weight as the LC ones since the AHC holds part of the weight.

2) Starter contacts need replacement. This is typical at 80-100K mi. It's simply wear. You can replace the contacts & plunger yourself for $50 in parts, or the entire starter (~$200-300). The trick is the starter is located UNDER the intake manifold, you there's a lot of hoses and heavy stuff to remove to access it, then you need long socket extensions to remove the starter or a child's hands. It's a one-afternoon job for an amateur.

3) 120K service should be the same as the 60k service except you replace the iridium spark plugs at 120K. Everything else should be the same...all fluids, lube drive shafts, cabin & engine air filters, repack front wheel bearings. I did my 60k mi service myself using all synthetic fluids for < $300, and had the dealer replace the ATF.

4) Brakes should cost that much. If you are having your front wheel bearings repacked, have the rotors replaced (not turned) at that time. Reason is, the amount of work is the same since the rotor is bolted to the hub, and the hub needs to be removed to access the inner bearing to repack it along w/ a new oil seal. It's a one afternoon job. I replaced my rotors w/ ART cryogenically frozen & slotted rotors and pads w/ Porterfield R4s carbon kevlar pads. Braking is better than OEM, and all parts cost me $750 total. If you stuck w/ OEM rotors/pads, the pads go for about $50/axle, anti-squeal shims are around $40/axle, rotors are less than $100 each (get the rotors for the Toyota landcruiser, same year as your LX, and from one of the online discount dealers or from American Toyota in Albuquerque. There's a parts manager named Dan there who gives people on a ih8mud forum (Landcruiser/LX DIY forum) like a 25% discount). You should be able to buy all 4 rotors and pads & shims for probably under $600. Figure $300 for labor to repack front wheel bearings and install rotors (only additional work from repacking the bearings is to remove and re-install 6 bolts on the back side of the hub!).

If you're a DIY'er and plan to keep your rig for a long time, I urge you to look at the landcruiser 100 series section on the ih8mud forum. There are full writeups on how to maintain your vehicle, plus the collective knowledge & experience of members is better than what you'll find at most dealerships. One of the members is/was a lexus mechanic, too. It's the support of the forum that got me to decide to buy a LX since I maintain my vehicles myself and tend to drive them for 20 yrs.