Satellite Radio. Any Way To Hard Wire?

cab2u

I have a 2004 loaded GX with ML radio. I really want satellite radio but I will not settle for it wired through antenna with FM modulator. Anyone figure out how to tap into radio through either CD player or something else?

I've researched this a ton. I've contacted Blitzsafe but they don't have an adapter yet for the GX. They've put me on the email notification list, but I'm not expecting it any time soon. I was really disappointed that I couldn't find a way to make a direct connection. There's a guy on the XM forum who's thinking of cutting open the cables in his RX300 and soldering on an XM connection, but I don't think I'll be doing any cutting or soldering on my new GX.

The tape adapter is 2nd in sound quality behind the direct connection.

I ended up buying the XM Roady by Delphi through the tape adapter. I plugged the power adapter into the cigarette plug right there on the left side in front of the shifter. I took the Roady mounting bracket and wedged it in right above that power plug, didn't even mount it permanently. I magaged to hide all the wires in that little compartment above it and then ran the antenna wire down under the dash on the passenger side and out the passenger door (under the rubber seal) and then up the windshield (under the rubber seal) and onto the roof just in front of the luggage rack on the passenger side.

The only thing you can see is the 3 inch bit of cassette adapter wire coming out of the cassette deck and disappearing into that little compartment below it. I can take a picture if you're interested.

I've been tempted to see if there's a way to tap in through the CD player connection, but I think it would require sacrificing the CD player, and you may still need an adapter even then.

I agree with you 100%. They have XM available only on the new LS I believe.

I've spent a lot of time on the XM forum asking folks about hard wiring this thing. I know nothing about the inner workings of electronics, but it just doesn't seem like it should be that hard to do. It seemed logical to me that most of these audio systems would use one or two variations of connections for cd players, etc... and that you would only need a couple of adapters to take care of all systems. I've been told that this isn't the case and that it's not possible to do the direct connection into my system as of yet.

The tape option does sound stupid, but it works pretty well. If I could find a way to hide that wire coming out of the deck it would be close to invisible. I was able to rationalize it and accept it by reminding myself that no 19 year old punks would be taking apart the sensitive equipment in the dash of my $50K truck. I visited several car audio places in my area, and that made me painfully aware of the incompetence level in that arena. The thought of those guys cracking my dash really shook me.

I've been just as frustrated as you. :chairshot: