Es300 Dash

the lighting on my dash has gone out and part of the dash isnt working correctly the dealer says he needs to replace the whole dashboard to fix the problem which will cost me $1400 I really dont have right now does anyone have any ideas on might be wrong a better solution if the dash needs to be replace does anyone know where I can get one at a decent price i can do the labor myself

the lighting on my dash has gone out and part of the dash isnt working correctly the dealer says he needs to replace the whole dashboard to fix the problem which will cost me $1400 I really dont have right now does anyone have any ideas on might be wrong a better solution if the dash needs to be replace does anyone know where I can get one at a decent price i can do the labor myself

Can you elaborate on exactly what isn't working? First of all, what year is your car? When you say "dash" or "dashboard" do you mean the instrument cluster? If that's the case it could be fuses, or maybe faulty gauges, or even bad wiring.

Can you elaborate on exactly what isn't working? First of all, what year is your car? When you say "dash" or "dashboard" do you mean the instrument cluster? If that's the case it could be fuses, or maybe faulty gauges, or even bad wiring.

the gauges are all working fine its the lighting thats gone, ive been reading thru post since i posted that and it seems to be common that the bulbs go out n need to be replaced. its a 95. but the real perplexing issue of the hour is in my aunts car that is the same year and model the ABS light comes on randomly and wen it does it cuts off the a/c and the radio, but then wen it goes out the a/c and the radio comes back on.

• 1 month later...

I have a similar problem on my 1993 ES300, the speedometer needle is stuck around 20 mph and does not move when I am driving. The mechanic says i will have to send the entire instrument cluster to get it fixed costing around $1000. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix the speedometer gauge?

It could be your VSS (vehicle speed sensor) but if your cruise control is still working then the VSS is not likely the problem. I would look around (Ebay, auto-wreckers, etc.) for a used cluster and replace your speedometer gauge with a working one. A lot cheaper than your mechanic's suggestion.

Thanks for your suggestion, I will check the cruise control. Buying a used cluster and replacing just the gauge seems like a good idea. Had not thought of that. Thanks again.

I would second the suggestion of a used cluster. I purchased a 1994 ES 300 for my son last spring. It has problems with the needles not illuminating well. I purchased a cluster from another 94' for $45. To remove it you first take off the inner plastic ring that goes around the display. There are two little "doors" on the top that you pop open with a small flat screwdriver to access screws. When that ring is out you can easily see the four screws holding the cluster in. Remove those screws. The wiring harnesses attached to the cluster do not give you much play. I found it easiest to disconnect the one on the bottom right first and then rock the cluster top out to reach inside and unplug the others (I think three more).

Once the cluster is out you can replace the backlighting. You can also take the odometer module from your current car and put it in the new cluster to maintain the correct mileage. I used two needles from the $45 cluster, bought new bulbs, and put a dark blue piece of plastic in front of the odometer inplace of the amber one.

It is easy to remove but you will want to go slow to avoid scratching anything.

I have a 1995 ES300 as well and the spindle light on the speedometer and RPM clusters are out.

I have a 95 ES300 that HAD bad lights. I found a guy in RI on eBay that repairs the instrument cluster needles, and will replace the backlight bulbs with bright white LEDs. The dealer fed me a line of crap saying it would cost over $1200 to fix due to a circuit board failure. This guy replaced everything with new technology similar to that of the Cadillac DTS, you have a choice of 6 colors and all for the price of $114 plus shipping and handling. I tell you the cluster looks better now than it did brand new. I can get anyone the information if they are interested, this guy is a miracle worker.

I have a 1995 ES300 as well and the spindle light on the speedometer and RPM clusters are out.

I have a 95 ES300 that HAD bad lights. I found a guy in RI on eBay that repairs the instrument cluster needles, and will replace the backlight bulbs with bright white LEDs. The dealer fed me a line of crap saying it would cost over $1200 to fix due to a circuit board failure. This guy replaced everything with new technology similar to that of the Cadillac DTS, you have a choice of 6 colors and all for the price of $114 plus shipping and handling. I tell you the cluster looks better now than it did brand new. I can get anyone the information if they are interested, this guy is a miracle worker.

I'd like to see some pics of your "new" cluster if you have any to post.

• 1 month later...

Hello, I'd be very interested in getting the guys name that fixed your instrument cluster. Mine needs it real bad. Thanks toxicturtles@yahoo.com

• 10 months later...

I would like to get the name of the guy in R. I. as all the needles are out in my 95 ES 300.

ws10hizr@yahoo.com