2008 Vs 2010 Rx400h

I would sincerely appreciate it if the "powers that be" would now go ahead and ban me, so there is no "temptation", permanently from the LOC.

Please.

Enough is enough.

My current password is:

c210

Anyone, other than moderators, who feels I should not be allowed to post at LOC.....

We don't want to ban you, we really don't but we can no longer put up with the incesent tirade that you put forward on this subject. Its not fair to the Lexus Hybrid members here that want to discuss their cars to have you constantly denigrating their vehicles and harassing them for their choices because the vehicles don't fit your needs to display the characteristics you want. We've heard your viewpoint on the subject, its time to let it go unless a discussion relates to your issues directly.

I would hope you could exercise some adult restraint and continue to be a member here, but if you don't think thats possible we will deactivate your account for you if thats what you want.

We're asking you to stop, not just the management but the members too...

I still don't like the fact that you can only see names of songs when the car isn't moving

I haven't noticed this in my new RX400h. I'm pretty sure I've seen artist names and song titles when I'm moving if the radio station is broadcasting them. I'm wondering if Lexus fixed it with the latest Nav update. Does anyone know for sure?

BTW, is there a way to find out what version of the Nav system software I have?

-- Laura

I still don't like the fact that you can only see names of songs when the car isn't moving

I haven't noticed this in my new RX400h. I'm pretty sure I've seen artist names and song titles when I'm moving if the radio station is broadcasting them. I'm wondering if Lexus fixed it with the latest Nav update. Does anyone know for sure?

BTW, is there a way to find out what version of the Nav system software I have?

-- Laura

I guess I should clarify. If you push the audio button the NAV screen [you can also have the radio search for stations by type of music in the NAV screen mode]displays the artist and name of song in nice easy to read type. But once the car moves it blanks out and displays some kind of message about safety. By the way the 2008 GS450H that I replaced the 2007 RX400H with also does this so I doubt it was "fixed", this was done intentionally by Lexus.

However in their infinite wisdom Lexus has allowed the info to be displayed on the smaller radio screen, but you have to push some buttons on the radio to see the entire messaged. I don't how Lexus can possibly believe that reading a large display almost at eye level is less safe than than taking your eyes of the road to look down at a display at console level and push buttons on the radio to see the entire message.

However in their infinite wisdom Lexus has allowed the info to be displayed on the smaller radio screen, but you have to push some buttons on the radio to see the entire messaged.

Good thing Toyota apparently never noticed this discrepancy and the current RX generation is on its way out, or they SURELY would have disabled that "feature" on the smaller radio screen. This certainly would have been a bigger priority for them than to, say, add an IPOD interface or use a REAL OEM NAV supplier. :angry:

I guess I should clarify. If you push the audio button the NAV screen [you can also have the radio search for stations by type of music in the NAV screen mode]displays the artist and name of song in nice easy to read type. But once the car moves it blanks out and displays some kind of message about safety.

This is definitely fixed in my 2-week-old 2008 RX400h (with Gen5 nav and ML audio if that matters). If I press the Audio button while I'm driving (and then press "Text" on the touchscreen if I'm not already in that mode) I see artist and song info from the radio on the nav screen. The "I Agree" business that I'd read about on this forum doesn't happen on my car either. Instead, I get a 5-second disclaimer screen when I first press one of the buttons like Map, Menu, etc, and then it goes on about its business. That feature has a bug, though. Sometimes after the disclaimer screen it takes me to the wrong screen, e.g. it goes to the Map screen even if I pressed the Menu button.

I think Lexus may have been listening to all the complaints. Or maybe my dealer did something to the car before I got it. Either way, I'm not complaining.

-- Laura

That is interesting, I traded my 2007 RX400H for my now 13 day old GS450H and the "I agree" is gone and it works the same way yours does, but the song and artist do not appear. The RX had two radio screens, one on the NAV, and one on the radio. But the GS does not have a radio display, the only radio display is in the NAV screen. I wonder if all the GS models have NAV or if they don't the whole dash configuration must have been changed for no NAV cars.

The Toyota OEM nav system has won many awards and editor's choice picks when it comes to OEM nav systems...

Steve,

With all due respect, I must say your comment comes as quite a shock!

From virtually everything I've read in reviews and message boards for the last few years, the Toyota NAV has been universally panned. Even the Germans who were last to embrace the DVD-based format have apparently surpassed Toyota.

And, actual experience with my '08 400h bears that out. Although it has the best display of the cars with NAV I've owned ('02 Cadillac STS and '04 Maxima) the general operation leaves a LOT to be desired.

I've been telling people for 25 years that Toyota makes the best vehicles, and now that I've "returned to the fold" with my RX, (we also we have an '04 Sienna XLE LTD that will be traded for an '09 TCH - with NAV - next week) I still maintain that mindthought.

It pains me to say it, but this is one area where Toyota has really dropped the ball in and they apparently refuse to correct the situation. It is truly mind-boggling and INEXCUSABLE! :angry:

The Toyota OEM nav system has won many awards and editor's choice picks when it comes to OEM nav systems...

Steve,

From virtually everything I've read in reviews and message boards for the last few years, the Toyota NAV has been universally panned. Even the Germans who were last to embrace the DVD-based format have apparently surpassed Toyota.

And, actual experience with my '08 400h bears that out. Although it has the best display of the cars with NAV I've owned ('02 Cadillac STS and '04 Maxima) the general operation leaves a LOT to be desired.

I've been telling people for 25 years that Toyota makes the best vehicles, and now that I've "returned to the fold" with my RX, (we also we have an '04 Sienna XLE LTD that will be traded for an '09 TCH - with NAV - next week) I still maintain that mindthought.

It pains me to say it, but this is one area where Toyota has really dropped the ball in and they apparently refuse to correct the situation. It is truly mind-boggling and INEXCUSABLE! :angry:

My Garmin 7500 [it has an MP3 player built in for playing talking books old radio shows, XM with weather stock and traffic, plus there is an optional $100 antenna you can buy so you don't have to pay the XM fee to get traffic reports on an FM signal. the Garmin can be set to just warn you about traffic tie ups or it can automatically find an alternate route.] is far better than the Lexus, the dealer mentioned something about the GS450H having NAV in it when I took the Garmin off the dash of the RX400H and put it on the dash of the new GS450H, I told him the RX had the NAV also but I got the Garmin because the Lexus NAV sucks and it won't allow you do use it while moving. He said it was for safety. I asked him how it was safer to pull to the side of the interstate and risk someone rear ending me at 70 mph than having a passenger use the NAV...........no answer

Steve,

My Garmin 7500 [it has an MP3 player built in for playing talking books old radio shows, XM with weather stock and traffic, plus there is an optional $100 antenna you can buy so you don't have to pay the XM fee to get traffic reports on an FM signal. the Garmin can be set to just warn you about traffic tie ups or it can automatically find an alternate route.] is far better than the Lexus, the dealer mentioned something about the GS450H having NAV in it when I took the Garmin off the dash of the RX400H and put it on the dash of the new GS450H, I told him the RX had the NAV also but I got the Garmin because the Lexus NAV sucks and it won't allow you do use it while moving. He said it was for safety.

I asked him how it was safer to pull to the side of the interstate and risk someone rear ending me at 70 mph than having a passenger use the NAV...........no answer

That could be because your question wasn't worthy, had no foundation, of an answer.

The clear majority of drivers would not be so senseless as to put themselves at risk in the manner you describe.

I will not even do that for a state trooper trying to pull me over for a (supposed) traffic infraction. If he/she is not willing to follow me to a more safe area to pull over....

I turn on my hazard lights to acknowledge the trooper and so far all (~5 in 20 years..??) have understood.

OK, I'll chime in, perhaps because I don't know when to be quiet.

WWest, you have an extraordinarily good knowledge of many things related to cars, engines, designs, etc., and I for one would miss some of your posts.

But I simply don't know why you feel the need to be confrontational in your numerous comments about hybrids.

Tom

I purchased, still own, a 2003 Prius.

When the RXh was announced I put my name on the "order" list, immediately.

Obviously I did so with the expectation of FE as the design goal, NOT 0-60 MPH as the primary goal.

Everybody's getting tired of the "pot stirring" as Bob puts it wwest, knock it off.

Nobody here has to answer to you for their choices and we're all well aware of your disdain for the direction Lexus has gone with their hybrids. We've had to listen to it over...and over...and over again for many years.

Yes, Steve I don't think anyone will disagree with you. Insofar as OEM nav systems are concerned Toyota definitely belows (sorry, should be belongs) at the TOP of the list.

But.

Portable GPS/nav systems in the class of the Garmen Nuvi have now made captive, OEM, nav systems pretty much obsolete.

Well, WWEST0, formerly WWEST, you have confirmed my observation that as people age they return to children.

I do not appreciate you modifying my original post with your personal comments. ("I'm a spurned lover.")

Moderators, doesn't it require approval before a "new" member is allowed to post? If so, why are we again subjected to this eccentric idiot's comments?

Tom

Well, WWEST0, formerly WWEST, you have confirmed my observation that as people age they return to children.

I do not appreciate you modifying my original post with your personal comments. ("I'm a spurned lover.")

Moderators, doesn't it require approval before a "new" member is allowed to post? If so, why are we again subjected to this eccentric idiot's comments?

Tom

The statement was in direct response to your "question".

"...why you feel the need....."

Sorry if I offended you but editing your original post was more direct and easier than copying your "questioning" statement into quote form and then answering.

Maybe an analogy would help:

Suppose you see a pretty girl (AWD RX300) across the dance floor, walk over and ask her to dance and then discover her breath smells of nicotine (the RX isn't really AWD). But she is REALLY beautiful and well mannered otherwise, overall a really nice person, so you become engaged (purchase your first AWD RX300).

Now you get to meet her family (LS400, GS300) and you go ahead and plan, upgrade the honeymoon (trade-in for a NEW AWD RX300 w/HID/VSC/TC).

And NOW you discover she has an even more beautiful younger sister (RXh) that doesn't smoke...WOW.

But...

She does drugs (RXh is a gas guzzler).

Now if I could just get her to break the drug habit.......

RX 400h a gas guzzler? Hmm, compared to what SUV? I am just asking because I LOVE the power of my 400h,that's why I don't have a Prius. I love the roominess in my 400h for all that I carry with me to the many places that I have to go for my work, that's why I didn't get a Prius . I love the ride, better than a Prius times 100. When I have people in the car and in the back seats, it's all luxury baby! Everyone gets the pair of shoes that fits them best and since as in the case of cars, I can only have one, this is it. Many of you have done better materialistically than I and can have a car for every occasion ,it's easy to be nit-picky about every bit of minutia. I do have a nice and live nicely in a very crazy part of the world, L.A., but I do live somewhat more simply than many of you and maybe with a lot more gratitude. I am wondering why there's so much negativity in this club? Many of you are many of you in this forum sound like spoiled children or just plain unhappy or insecure. Since I teach about many things involving human nature and such, I find that it's, to out it simply, a "guy thing". Respectfully, Rey in L.A.

post-26996-1215400514_thumb.jpg

So you guys know, I have banned both of wwest's accounts for good. No idea why he created a new account since we didn't ban his original one, but who knows. His continued berating of Hybrid owners after being warned and temporarily banned for it in the past coupled with his creation of multiple accounts made our course clear.

• 2 weeks later...

I also have a 2006 400h with a 3 year lease. This week I called Lexus Financial as I wanted to purchase the car because we love it so much. I asked if there was a redesign anytime soon and was told that there was a total redesign for the 350 and 400h with the 2010 models. I was told that the 350 2010 model was going on the market Jan/Feb 09 and the 2010 400h May/09.

Test drive a new one to see if they added anything that you don't have in yours, I got rid of my leased 07 RXH a little over a year early on my 3 year lease. I loved the car but I just didn't need the room of and SUV anymore and I wanted a regular sedan. As much as I loved the RX I love the GS hybrid even more. I am a bit crazy when it comes to cars, just about every one I get I lease because I am always looking forward to getting rid of it and getting a newer model but this GS s the first one I have serious thoughts about keeping when the lease is up. The problem is that in most cases buying back a lease is usually not a good way to buy a car. Go over the numbers and calculate if it would pay to turn in the old lease and purchase a new one. Keep in mind that you will be financing a used car at a higher interest rate while a new car can be bought at a lower percent interest. What are the residuals to buy the old one, does it need tires, battery, brakes how many miles on the old lease, is there something that you don't have on the old one [satellite radio maybe]that you would like to add if you get a new one, do you like the color of the old one or was it something you settled for because that was the only color they had? What about a warranty, can you get an extended warranty on the old one or is it only available with a new car purchase.

I have been thinking about an extended warrantyt myself with the GS450H I just got. I was thinking about dumping it three years from now but after owning it for a month I love the car so much I am starting to have different thoughts about trading it in when the lease ends.

The bottom line is do the numbers and drive a new on just to see if they added stuff you may want to have

I also have a 2006 400h with a 3 year lease. This week I called Lexus Financial as I wanted to purchase the car because we love it so much. I asked if there was a redesign anytime soon and was told that there was a total redesign for the 350 and 400h with the 2010 models. I was told that the 350 2010 model was going on the market Jan/Feb 09 and the 2010 400h May/09.

According to edmunds.com the changes are only a slight face lift! I quote a current article with spy photos just online this week

" If you're hoping for big changes you'll be disappointed, as the next RX looks much like the current model in terms of its overall size and shape. There's a slightly revised grille up front that's more angular in appearance along with a reconfigured headlight cluster.

In back, a new set of LED taillights is the most noticeable difference. There are a few minor changes to the shape of the rear fascia, but unless you put the 2010 model side by side with the current RX you would find it hard to see the difference between the two."

A link to the article: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Gener...rticleId=129127

Another quote:

" There won't be big changes under the hood, either. A revised version of the current 3.5-liter V6 will provide the power with a six-speed automatic handling the gearchanges. A hybrid model will be available as well"

Kinda of more of what the 08 is but with a minor face lift and probably with an increase in price I speculate. I am glad I went for an 08. The pictures on inside line are not conclusive because the body is taped up to disguise the actual changes, but it is fairly easy to see the changes are indeed really minor on the outside. They did not say anything about the inside as they did not see it.

A couple weeks ago, I wrote:

If I press the Audio button while I'm driving (and then press "Text" on the touchscreen if I'm not already in that mode) I see artist and song info from the radio on the nav screen.

I was wrong. This was only working with the HD radio attachment for the Peripheral Electronics iPod kit that I had installed (and have since taken back out, since it sucked).

With the regular FM radio in my 400h, the behavior is:

• On the Audio screen in FM mode I see "buttons" for 6 stations on the touch screen. Each shows the frequency and then one word below it. For the station I'm tuned to, the extra info rotates between the station's call letters and each word in whatever text message they're broadcasting -- usually the artist and title info.
  • When I'm not moving, I can touch the "Message" button on the Audio screen and see full artist and title info. As soon as the car starts moving, it blanks them out and shows a message saying they're hidden for my "safety".

This is very stupid on Lexus's part. If I want to see the song info, it's actually more distracting to watch the Audio screen while each word of the artist and song names cycle through the display. It would make much more sense to let me see the whole thing at once on the "message" screen, where I can see it at a glance and shift my attention back to the road.

-- Laura, wanting to shoot all the lawyers

A couple weeks ago, I wrote:
If I press the Audio button while I'm driving (and then press "Text" on the touchscreen if I'm not already in that mode) I see artist and song info from the radio on the nav screen.

I was wrong. This was only working with the HD radio attachment for the Peripheral Electronics iPod kit that I had installed (and have since taken back out, since it sucked).

With the regular FM radio in my 400h, the behavior is:

• On the Audio screen in FM mode I see "buttons" for 6 stations on the touch screen. Each shows the frequency and then one word below it. For the station I'm tuned to, the extra info rotates between the station's call letters and each word in whatever text message they're broadcasting -- usually the artist and title info.
  • When I'm not moving, I can touch the "Message" button on the Audio screen and see full artist and title info. As soon as the car starts moving, it blanks them out and shows a message saying they're hidden for my "safety".

This is very stupid on Lexus's part. If I want to see the song info, it's actually more distracting to watch the Audio screen while each word of the artist and song names cycle through the display. It would make much more sense to let me see the whole thing at once on the "message" screen, where I can see it at a glance and shift my attention back to the road.

-- Laura, wanting to shoot all the lawyers

Now you know why I and others are ticked off at Lexus

I was at the dealer today for my 36,000 mile lube oil and filter. (and to fix the rear door rattles that had returned) As i waited for my service my salesman dropped by to say hi and we talked about the 2010 RX update comming up in summer 2009. He mentioned that the spy photos he has seen do not reflect what the factory people are telling him. He said the 400h will have more than a facelift, making it more masculine in styling. He also said he was told the 2010 model would jump 'two generations' in hybrid design. Whatever that means it sounds interesting. According to him Lexus will not provide the third row seat option on the 400h, they dont see much demand, it takes up alot of room and they are not comfortable. Also he said a Lexus hybrid sedan will be out next year with a 35 mpg rating. No word on what engine that will have.

Off topic, this dealer has done all my service and i have rarely had a complaint, they even developed a $75.00 lube oil filter charge for me when i dont rotate the tires or have it washed, and i think that is very fair for a lexus dealer. Of course the 30,000 mile service cost about $250 after i declined the brake flush and fuel injector cleaning. They did give me a new rx350 loaner with nav with that visit because it was a longer than normal service. After that service there were things on the invoice that the technician said he did however i couldnt tell if they were performed so i called them on that. After assuring me that everything was indeed serviced even tho the tire pressures were all off i let it go. Today when i went to pay for the 36000 mile lube the whole thing was no charge, they said it was because i was not 100% happy with the previous job. Im just rambling on about this to say that i feel it was beyond what i expected and i appreciated it.

• 2 weeks later...

Its going to be more than a facelift, Its going to be an all new vehicle. I think what they were saying is that its not going to be a radical departure from the previous RX as far as styling or shape goes.

It will be an all new vehicle.