The Wash/wax/detail Roster

Hello All,

I just recently became the proud owner of a 1998 Lexus ES300. She's a two-toned, Diamond White Pearl over Pewter, tan leather interior, gem that was babied and loved before I acquired her. The car looks like it took a trip through time and landed here in 2008. The car had one owner and became a Certified Pre-Owned from a Lexus dealership. Let me tell you the car is immaculate. No accidents and not a ding anywhere. All services performed at the dealership (I've got all the records on it) with mileages listed. All tuneups done within a few thousand miles of the recommended service. The shine on this car and the cleanliness of the engine bay are still top notch. Having owned a few cars in the past that aren't worth the time and effort of keeping the look up, I've vowed to keep this car shining. One of the best parts is that the previous owner kept the entire car bone stock. The wheels, stereo, CD changer... all original. I'm actually digging the Premium Sound System so I might actually resist the urge to put a system in it. The bass already sounds pretty good for stock although I like "bumpin'" when I drive around. With all that out of the way... I want to post pics but after I wash/wax/detail her for the first time. I don't really have too much experience with the products I've gotten, but after looking around online and reading some Lexus forums, here's what I've come up with as far as the plan I'm going to use this weekend.

Pre rinse

Heavy shampoo wash Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash S and C (microfiber chenille wash mitts)

Rinse, but leave it lightly dampened for...

Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit

Microfiber buff

Light shampoo wash

Rinse

Microfiber dry

Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax

Microfiber buff

Blue Magic Headlight Cleaner

Meguiar's All Wheel Cleaner

Meguiar's Hot Rims Tire Shine (stock rims! ;) )

Touch up microfiber dry any remaining wet areas

Between washes

California Car Duster

Meguiar's Quik Detailing Spray

Microfiber buff

From what I read, maybe there should be a polish added after the Tech Wax part...???

I heard the Clay kit is on an "as needed" basis.

What's the deal with not using a circular motion when washing the car or buffing? Seems a circular motion would be the most effective in buffing/washing if I rinse the mitts really well each time... thoughts??

I'd read through all the posts but honestly, this is how I'll have piece of mind knowing if someone could read my plan and comment back with their experiences or to let me know if I'm missing a step.

THANK YOU!!

dm124ES

Hello: Congrats and good luck.

I have just got back into car detailing when I bought my new Lexus ES 350 Black with Black interior, (and the !@#$$ hand wash boars head Car wash scratched the !@# in surface scratches/swirls). I would suggest you visit a thread in this same sub-forum on detailing.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...c=45222&hl=

It is many pages but worth a read. One thing (Detail Doc) advised was to always polish by machine after a cleaning.

I would also suggest the Ultima PG+ sealant which can be used before wax or just left on. This stuff is fantastic. It lasts much longer than Carnuba or other wax's, and applies with a MF applicator with a few drops the whole car can be done. Just wipe on no buffing (unless u put on too much let it dry 12 hours than buff).

the other set of product I love is the Sonus Cockpit detailer. -Really cleans the dust off my dash without the oily 'armour all' look. (Plus UV ray protector)

Also looking forward to using ONR - Optimum No Rinse Wash. This will be my winter washing technique.

Also someone stated the MF towels/applicators online from autopia, autogeek.net etc were better than ones store bought (Lowe's, HD, etc) and I compared them and agree.

One other thing, the Meg. Hot rims wax is acid based. I used it on my wifes expedition as her wheels were sho/dirty and it worked great. If your wheels are clean I would suggest staying away from acid cleaners. I am trying out the PS21 water based cleaner (good for any wheels) this weekend as I just got my latest inet shipment of supplies.

You will see a whole other list of great ultima and sonus, p21 etc products in that thread.

enjoy!

Hello All,

I just recently became the proud owner of a 1998 Lexus ES300. She's a two-toned, Diamond White Pearl over Pewter, tan leather interior, gem that was babied and loved before I acquired her. The car looks like it took a trip through time and landed here in 2008. The car had one owner and became a Certified Pre-Owned from a Lexus dealership. Let me tell you the car is immaculate. No accidents and not a ding anywhere. All services performed at the dealership (I've got all the records on it) with mileages listed. All tuneups done within a few thousand miles of the recommended service. The shine on this car and the cleanliness of the engine bay are still top notch. Having owned a few cars in the past that aren't worth the time and effort of keeping the look up, I've vowed to keep this car shining. One of the best parts is that the previous owner kept the entire car bone stock. The wheels, stereo, CD changer... all original. I'm actually digging the Premium Sound System so I might actually resist the urge to put a system in it. The bass already sounds pretty good for stock although I like "bumpin'" when I drive around. With all that out of the way... I want to post pics but after I wash/wax/detail her for the first time. I don't really have too much experience with the products I've gotten, but after looking around online and reading some Lexus forums, here's what I've come up with as far as the plan I'm going to use this weekend.

Pre rinse

Heavy shampoo wash Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash S and C (microfiber chenille wash mitts)

Rinse, but leave it lightly dampened for...

Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit

Microfiber buff

Light shampoo wash

Rinse

Microfiber dry

Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax

Microfiber buff

Blue Magic Headlight Cleaner

Meguiar's All Wheel Cleaner

Meguiar's Hot Rims Tire Shine (stock rims! ;) )

Touch up microfiber dry any remaining wet areas

Between washes

California Car Duster

Meguiar's Quik Detailing Spray

Microfiber buff

From what I read, maybe there should be a polish added after the Tech Wax part...???

I heard the Clay kit is on an "as needed" basis.

What's the deal with not using a circular motion when washing the car or buffing? Seems a circular motion would be the most effective in buffing/washing if I rinse the mitts really well each time... thoughts??

I'd read through all the posts but honestly, this is how I'll have piece of mind knowing if someone could read my plan and comment back with their experiences or to let me know if I'm missing a step.

THANK YOU!!

dm124ES

Dang fat fingers meant to put CLAYING duh... thanks for catching that

It is many pages but worth a read. One thing (Detail Doc) advised was to always polish by machine after a cleaning.

Not after cleaning, but after claying.

Today was the day in SO CAL. We've had some really cloudy days that periodically created some light misty rain. That kinda put my wash plans on hold for the entire week. This morning was clear and sunny. I woke up at 7 and started the process at 7:30. After a little over three hours, I was done. I'll post the pics on Monday. The car looks great. If I was a little more experienced with polish, I might have added that step, but I heard that it the part that requires the most care when applying. It was my first time claying and I watched as some of those little particles came off the paint... just like described.

I had to go out and buy another microfiber towel... you just can't get enough of those things!!

OK here's the shine!

Like liquid...

post-70936-1210720759_thumb.jpg

Left side

post-70936-1210720769_thumb.jpg

Bicycle reflection

post-70936-1210720623_thumb.jpg

Dive into the hood

post-70936-1210721310_thumb.jpg

That dot by the light is a small chip... the smudge on the gray is just a reflection (whew!)

post-70936-1210721319_thumb.jpg

Check out the bird flying!

post-70936-1210721328_thumb.jpg

Front

post-70936-1210720406_thumb.jpg

The Roster. I built a great team!

post-70936-1210721133_thumb.jpg