New Subwoofer

im looking to put in a new subwoofer to replace my stock Nak sub, in my 92 sc4

does anyone know what size the stock one is, and what is the max mounting depth i can fit in the stock location?

im thinking of going with a 10 inch 300w free air sub to go in the stock location, any one got any recomendations for the sub and\or an amp to power it?

thanks for your help

I went to a tweeter store a couple of weeks ago with the same idea. They had some amazing systems there from pioneer and JL. The subs and speakers were crystal clear and absolutely amazing. The subs themselves were pretty cheap. The best one they had was just $450, but the problem is that you need to buy a power amplifier just for the sub which will cost you $500+ as much. By that point, you've already spent enough that you might as well go all out with speakers and a head unit. The other problem is that the sub's going to be overtaking the speakers. You're going to have to turn the sub down, which would defeat the purpose of buying them in the first place. In total, a top of the line system from them would have cost me around $2000-2500, with at least $1000 of it being just the sub and sub-amp. You also need to buy a 2nd amp for the speakers.

My conclusion: I wouldn't change the sub unless your prepared to do the entire system. The only way its going to be cheap to just do the sub is if you go to somewhere like Bestbuy. Their subs are OK, but nothing spectacular. I'd say my naka sub is almost as good as theirs so no point. Plus Bestbuy's audio service department has a shady reputation around here; messing up electronics, messing up the install, taking stuff out of your car, and taking joy rides. One friend of mine had a systerm installed in his 2000 BMW 328i. 2 days later when he went to pick the car up, it had 15 extra miles on the odometer! I wouldn't go to bestbuy with if you got a nice car.

yea i dont plan on going that crazy with the sub, i plan on like an alpine, infinity, or MTX so the sub would be around $80-$120 then as far as the amp goes that will be about $300-$400 and i already plan on replacing the head unit regardless of weather or not i do the sub, i plan on a pioneer head unit for around $150 or so, and i have already replaced the rear speakers with 6.5in infinity loud speakers, and sometime in the relativly near furture plan on replacing the front with infinity as well.

you did kinda mention a question i had, i was wondering if the stock nak amp powered the speakers as well or just the sub, if it does do the speakers as well could i just leave it to do the speakers, and get a new amp just for the sub?

as far as install goes i was thinking of having it done at the best buy back home in Dallas where i know, or have friends that know the people that work there anc can get them to vouch for them.

To the best of my knowledge, the naka amp powers everything. The reason why I assume this is because when I first bought my car, I was having problems with the sound cutting out and coming back on. It was all the speakers+sub cutting out, so I assumed it was the amp dying. It was unlikely that all 6 speakers plus the sub were dying. Turns out, all that happened was water got into the amp. I removed it, let it dry out then reinstalled it, praying that it would still work. To the day it has worked, though I still get worried it'll cut out on me again. The problem is that since our naka systems aren't manufactured anymore, they're expensive to replace. There's is a company on eBay which you can send them your stock amp and they'll repair/remanufacture it for you for just $200.

As for your naka amp powering aftermarket speakers, it depends on the speakers. You need to make sure the amp can handle however much power the speakers are drawing. I'd remove the amp, and take it to your friends at Bestbuy and ask them if the naka amp can handle what they're installing. The amp should have its specs written on it.

well i replaced the rear speakers about 3 months ago and they work great, as far as the new sub i never planed on using the stock amp to power the new sub. i guess since the nak amp works ill just leave it to power the speakers, and use an aftermarket amp to power the new sub.

you wouldnt happen to have a guess as to the power out put of the stock nak amp would you?

Sorry, I don't remember, and I dont really feel like removing the amp again. It was a real b*tch to get out for me since the CD changer was on top of it. You need a torque wrench and a lot of patience. Maybe there's a website you can look up the specs.

• 3 weeks later...

just to add a little more information. The stock amp is in a place on the car where it is actually a common problem for getting wet. Most of them start rusting. I replaced mine with a pair of rockford fosgates. One for my sub, one for the rest of the car. I could only fit an 8 " sub in the stock location due to the trunk load crossing bars. Make sure you have clearance for the magnets on the sub.

I went for clearity, not pounding bass, so I didn't mind so much. Still pounds pretty good though!

I also beleive that the sub controls all of the speakers in the car. I sold my amp when I replaced them with my oun. Check around, mabye someone else has an amp lying around? just make sure it doesn't have rust or water damage. Again, common problem.

• 6 months later...

FYI: The amplifier under the CD changer is for your main speakers only (fronts and rears). The amplifier for the subwoofer hangs from the rear decklid and it's ready for a 1 Ohm sub (that's what the sub has stamped on it - I haven't DMM'd it yet). So if you plan on re-using that amplifier you'll need to be on the lookout for a dual 2 Ohm subwoofer. Or you could go with a higher impedance driver (dual 4 Ohm, etc) and cut your power in half.

You'd have to check the mounting depth, but this subwoofer is the only one I would consider. You'll have to check the mounting depth, but I think you need to make an adapter plate/ring for an aftermarket subwoofer anyway. If you're after clarity, this is right up your alley. With an XBL^2 motor, you'll have cleaner bass for longer/higher volume levels. The neat thing about XBL^2 drivers is they are very distortion-free and offer the same type of sound throughout most of the operating range. Instead of a driver sounding different at higher levels, XBL^2 subs do not.

I had am '93 SC300, that I sold 6 years ago. While I owned it, I blew the sub. The sub does have it's own amplifier as has been outlined above. I ended up replacing all the amplifiers and the sub, I left all the other speakers in place. I don't remember brands or the particulars, but when I finished the thing sounded amazing. As I recall, I used the same size sub that was OEM, a ten inch, I believe. The stock amps are much underpowered, and the new amplification really brought everything alive.

Lou