99' Es300, Gas Door Won't Open Properly

Greetings,

I just bought a 99 ES300 and LOVE IT. However, I have ran into a few issue; some of which I can figure out, some I can't. Primarily, the Gas Door Switch works, but the actual door, won't open unless I have someone pry it while I am pressing the button. This is problematic, if I am alone.

I can hear it when I press it, but I am not sure why it doesn't work properly; HELP!!!

Sounds like the plastic clip is not releasing when you press the button......you should also have a line in the trunk (drivers side fender) you can pull to open the fuel door in an emergency.

Have you tried leaving the fuel door open & press the switch to see if the clip is retracting or not? Hopefully this is a very minor problem.

Welcome to LOC!

:cheers:

I recently had the same problem.

Lexusfreak: I think jermeal's problem is the same as mine, and is different from what you are describing. The plastic clip actually DOES retract when I press the button. The problem is that the fuel door does not "spring" open when that clip retracts. I tried spraying the hinges of the fuel door with WD40, but it doesn't help. It is a major PITA if I have to refill and I am by myself.

jermeal: Am I right in understanding the issue you are having?

I will keep you posted if I find a solution.

I recently had the same problem.

Lexusfreak: I think jermeal's problem is the same as mine, and is different from what you are describing. The plastic clip actually DOES retract when I press the button. The problem is that the fuel door does not "spring" open when that clip retracts. I tried spraying the hinges of the fuel door with WD40, but it doesn't help. It is a major PITA if I have to refill and I am by myself.

jermeal: Am I right in understanding the issue you are having?

I will keep you posted if I find a solution.

I am not sure as I cannpt tell yet. I will have someone press the button while I look at the clip to see what the dealio is and repost

Sounds like the plastic clip is not releasing when you press the button......you should also have a line in the trunk (drivers side fender) you can pull to open the fuel door in an emergency.

Have you tried leaving the fuel door open & press the switch to see if the clip is retracting or not? Hopefully this is a very minor problem.

Welcome to LOC!

I will check the trunk now ...

Welcome to LOC!

By the way, THANKS for the WELCOME!!! This car is off the chain, I can't believe it has 100k+ mls on it!

Ok, yes, the plastic clip retracts, but the door doesn't spring open. Incidentially, Lexusfreak, how do you pump gas when you are alone ?

I'm not sure what you mean jermeal? :unsure:

Ok I just thought of this--going to try it later on my own car.

What if you take a small piece of a medium thickness double sided tape, just peel it from one side, and stick it to the inside of the fuel door. Now when you close the fuel door, the tape will act as a sort of "spring"--you will have to apply a little pressure to close the door, but when you press the button and the clip retracts, the door should spring right open due to the pressure from the tape.

if you push the opener button and it unlocks and doesn't open, then it has to be the spring on the door is busted.

just replace the spring. It's a $3.43 part.

Here is a link, it is part number 7 if the picture comes through.

99 ES fuel door spring

steviej

This is HUGE, thank you, but where can I get this part ? Any good auto part store maybe ?

if you push the opener button and it unlocks and doesn't open, then it has to be the spring on the door is busted.

99 ES fuel door spring

steviej

Oops, before I get too excited, how do I replace it ?

99 ES fuel door spring

steviej

This is HUGE, thank you, but where can I get this part ? Any good auto part store maybe ?

The link I gave you is to an reputable online Lexus parts dealership.

Order it from them.

As for putting it on, you have to look at the current hinge and see how to take it off. I think it is simply two allen screws, at least it was on my 02 ES if I remember correctly.

steviej

To answer the question on how to open the door when the spring is broken...

I carried a mop in my trunk! I would use the handle to press the button in the car while I stood outside pushing the door open. Easier to get it fixed, which I did....

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

99 ES fuel door spring

steviej

Heyyyyy! You guys really rock! I wish there was a forum like this one for my ailing 97 Rav4, too. Just blew the transmission on it!

My husband has said about 1000 times, "Gotta get gas while you are here. Push the button, please, while I pry open the door. It's our '98 Lexus ES 300. :) Love this post. Printing it for him.

Now, I'm off to ask about codes that seem to point to the oxygen sensors and/or Catalytic converter. Scared to ask!

Best to you!

Angie

• 2 years later...

99 ES fuel door spring

steviej

Oops, before I get too excited, how do I replace it ?

I took the advice. The part cost $11+ at the local dealer--no surprise. It takes a little screwdriver "persuasion" to snap in the new part, but it works fine now.