Radio Repair

hav2laf2

Hi, I'm a newby to the LOC. I bought my '93 LS400 used. The second day I owned it, I took it to the car wash. I remembered to turn the radio off, to protect the antenna, but had a senior moment, and turned it back on in the car wash. :huh: Antenna bent, fiance disconnected the antenna, to protect the antenna motor. Radio played fine without antenna, for a little while. Started smelling burned smell. :o Radio stopped working. Antenna is ground for radio, according to Automotive Electrical shop. Now, I need to get my radio fixed. Any reliable sources out there?? And while I'm at it, I'd like to get the LCD display for temp and time replaced. :rolleyes: Thank you.

Hi, I'm a newby to the LOC. I bought my '93 LS400 used. The second day I owned it, I took it to the car wash. I remembered to turn the radio off, to protect the antenna, but had a senior moment, and turned it back on in the car wash. :huh: Antenna bent, fiance disconnected the antenna, to protect the antenna motor. Radio played fine without antenna, for a little while. Started smelling burned smell. :o Radio stopped working. Antenna is ground for radio, according to Automotive Electrical shop. Now, I need to get my radio fixed. Any reliable sources out there?? And while I'm at it, I'd like to get the LCD display for temp and time replaced. :rolleyes: Thank you.

I can get you a replacement headunit that is 100% guaranteed to work. It would be easier and less expensive to exchange your non working headunit. B)

I can get you a replacement headunit that is 100% guaranteed to work. It would be easier and less expensive to exchange your non working headunit. B)

Sorry, "headunit"?? Would that include the LCD display for time/temp?? How much does that run? I've seen the instructions for removing the radio and the LCDs. It would have to be plug and play for me to attempt. Thank you for the quick reply.

Headunit is the radio ;) Yes, It is plug and play, Would be a factory 100% OEM radio. Easy out and easy in. :cheers: Just the radio display. Search for Jim Walker or find the sticky @ the top of the LS forums for the a/c temp display. :cheers:

Headunit is the radio ;) Yes, It is plug and play, Would be a factory 100% OEM radio. Easy out and easy in.:cheers: Just the radio display. Search for Jim Walker or find the sticky @ the top of the LS forums for the a/c temp display.:cheers:

Thanks. :D $$??? And details. Would I send you the old unit??

Headunit is the radio ;) Yes, It is plug and play, Would be a factory 100% OEM radio. Easy out and easy in.:cheers: Just the radio display. Search for Jim Walker or find the sticky @ the top of the LS forums for the a/c temp display.:cheers:

Thanks. :D $$??? And details. Would I send you the old unit??

I'll get the details, Yes, You would send the non working unit. :cheers:

:D Its a permanent thread at the top of the forum....

BTW, what is a "sticky"??

How strange, I have never heard of a damaged antenna causing the radio to burn out.

I know that the radio in my LS has poor reception. Its probably on its way out.

I know that on my old LS400 that the radio would only work in hot weather.... then it got to where it would not work at all.

How strange, I have never heard of a damaged antenna causing the radio to burn out.

I know that the radio in my LS has poor reception. Its probably on its way out.

I know that on my old LS400 that the radio would only work in hot weather.... then it got to where it would not work at all.

The damage to the antenna didn't burn up my radio. It was removing the antenna from the circuit (meant to protect the antenna motor from burning up, by trying to raise the antenna continuously). The antenna apparently is the ground for the radio. Without it in the circuit, the power to the radio was looking for the way to ground, resulting in my radio burning up.

Thanks for the heads up. I have disconnected my antenna also (pending replacement in the next few decades) and now I know I have to do something about it. Real Soon.

This was the explanation the Auto Electrical shop, I took my car to, gave me. I guess if I'd left my radio off, I wouldn't be trying to find a radio replacement. :) I purchased my replacement mast at Lexus Parts World. Second from top left on link below. I believe we found instructions for installation in LOC forum. Of course it's in my trunk, until I find a replacement headunit (radio).

http://www.lexuspartsworld.com:80/scripts/...CFQPslgodpjIMew

LEXUS ANTENNA MAST

86337-24181

REPLACES PART # 86337-24080 REPLACEMENT MAST FOR BROKEN ANTENNAS

FITS:

SC300/400 1992 THRU 2000

GS300 1993 THRU 1995

LS400 1992 THRU 1994

FACTORY GENUINE OEM LEXUS PART

Our Price: $33.41