Water In Headlights Please Help

hey there lexus owners

I own a 93 sc300 and i love the car.. well a couple of weeks ago it was very very hot i decided to wash my car in the hot sun.... "i had a feeling something was going to happen.. " well anyways i sprayed cold water on the whole car and next thing i know was that water started to appear in my left headlight.. I try tapping it but the evaporation cannot escape or anything. i think that the hot car and cold water did something to the left headlight. Well if anyone knows how to get rid of it please help me I am desperate to get rid of the water... thank you for your help.

• 1 month later...
hey there lexus owners

I own a 93 sc300 and i love the car.. well a couple of weeks ago it was very very hot i decided to wash my car in the hot sun.... "i had a feeling something was going to happen.. " well anyways i sprayed cold water on the whole car and next thing i know was that water started to appear in my left headlight.. I try tapping it but the evaporation cannot escape or anything. i think that the hot car and cold water did something to the left headlight. Well if anyone knows how to get rid of it please help me I am desperate to get rid of the water... thank you for your help.

I don't think it was the hot day and cold water. The seals around those front headlights often go bad. Mine did the same thing. Water and condensation stayed in it for weeks until I took it in to the dealer. In fact the glass often fades a dirty gray color which some people supposedly grind down with light sandpaper then buff it out. As for me I just bought a new, very expensive replacement. But when you are trying to keep your car at it's best it's worth it. I replaced one headlight because of your issue with the seal and another one because of the fading problem.

hey there lexus owners

I don't think it was the hot day and cold water. The seals around those front headlights often go bad. Mine did the same thing. Water and condensation stayed in it for weeks until I took it in to the dealer. In fact the glass often fades a dirty gray color which some people supposedly grind down with light sandpaper then buff it out. As for me I just bought a new, very expensive replacement. But when you are trying to keep your car at it's best it's worth it. I replaced one headlight because of your issue with the seal and another one because of the fading problem.

There are a few different options. Depending on the age and condition of your light, you may want to consider replacing it.

If thats not an option, you can look into a few different options:

1) Park the car in the sun and let it evaporate. This will take a lot of time, but the water will evaporate over time depending how much went inside. Some people add sealant around the outer seam of the light, this is a cheap and simple solution.

2) You can disassemble and re-seal, then re-assemble. This is very time consuming and many hobbyists make mistakes that effect the integrity of the light. You can warp the light, use the wrong sealant, or cause other damage - I've seen endless amounts of costly mistakes.

3) Some folks have drilled numerous holes on the bottom of the light. This works, but I wouldnt recommend this as debri can enter the light.

We published an interesting article about this just recently, makes good reading for you folks with older headlights:

http://clearcorners.com/products/004/

good luck!

cheers

mike / clearcorners.com

hey there lexus owners

If you remove the bulb, you have an access to the inside iof the headlight. Some people have drilled a small hole at the bottom, and the water will escape. If you apply a hair-dryer pushing sir through the hole where the bulb was, the condensation etc.. will dry out quite well. You should remedy this asap before any other damage is done. However, if your seals are not sealing correctly, the problem will recur, and either you seal around the headlamp as well as you can or you will have to change it. There was a thread on this somewhere on this Website. Re: The 'clearing' of the outside plastic, several people recommended a product called 'Crystalview' (if I remember correctly - check the thread in this Website) available at Walmart.

Good luck

pauljcl

hey there lexus owners

hey there lexus owners

Try to do this first without removing your head light at all. Check the rubber breather on both of your head lights. You can just pull them out check for cracks and is the small piece of yellowish plug is still inside the rubber breather. Well you just get a small ruuber hose about 2 inches place a cotton ball in it and use that as replacement breather it work for me the

water is gone in a day after i drove the car with healights on

hey there lexus owners

Try to do this first without removing your head light at all. Check the rubber breather on both of your head lights. You can just pull them out check for cracks and is the small piece of yellowish plug is still inside the rubber breather. Well you just get a small ruuber hose about 2 inches place a cotton ball in it and use that as replacement breather it work for me the

water is gone in a day after i drove the car with healights on