Transmission Hiccup/belch/kickback

mejojo

92 LS400 212,000 miles Have maintained trans fluid with occasional partial flushes...it's a decent red.

When going up an incline, the car may "kickback" for about a quarter second and then it's business as usual. It will do this whether or not overdrive is enabled and I do not have to be accelerating for it to happen.

About 5 minutes into my daily drive, I go up a 5-10 degree incline for about a tenth of a mile, and it reliably kicks exactly once, and that's usually it for the daily trip even though there are more severe hills to come. However, if I go up a lengthy steep hill well into any random trip, it may do it 1, 2 or 3 times.

Usually it is mild, almost like the engine missing, but every once in a while it's a clunk kickback. I believe that I can avoid it by accelerating fairly hard, but it's difficult to tell whether you caused something to not happen.

I don't know a lot about auto trans workings, but I'm imaging maybe a solenoid going off-task for a split-second.

Does any of this sound familiar?

Joe

You know, I have to say, while it could be something to do with your transmission, it's more likely that one of your spark plugs is fouled.

About a year ago I seafoamed my engine before a tune up. It fouled one or more of my plugs apparently. Before I realized this, I thought that something had gone wrong with my transmission as it coincidentally started leaking fluid at the same time. Turns out, one of my plugs was messed up from the foam and the shuddering around shift points I was noticing was from the plugs, not the transmission

As the transmission shifts, the load on the engine changes. I thought that my transmission was slipping or otherwise broken... turned out that with the shift in engine load, one of my plugs couldn't "keep up" and was causing the shudder.

Bottom line: When was the last time you did a tune up?

You know, I have to say, while it could be something to do with your transmission, it's more likely that one of your spark plugs is fouled.

About a year ago I seafoamed my engine before a tune up. It fouled one or more of my plugs apparently. Before I realized this, I thought that something had gone wrong with my transmission as it coincidentally started leaking fluid at the same time. Turns out, one of my plugs was messed up from the foam and the shuddering around shift points I was noticing was from the plugs, not the transmission

As the transmission shifts, the load on the engine changes. I thought that my transmission was slipping or otherwise broken... turned out that with the shift in engine load, one of my plugs couldn't "keep up" and was causing the shudder.

Bottom line: When was the last time you did a tune up?

I did plugs, points, rotors, wires at 200,000 (was all original up to that point).

When it kicks, it's not doing any shifting.

I'd expect a fouled plug to give more frequent poor behavior.

Joe