Help - Looking For 01-03 Ls430

Hello to all,

Need some help in searching for a used 01-03 LS 430. With a new baby I am looking for a larger vechile that is reliable with good trunk room. Consumer Reports has rated this a very good bet. Can you please help me in selecting the best year from the choices above and also any package you would recomend providing I can find it on the used market. I am also looking for any common problems with the vechile I would encounter from buying one of these years. Also anything to look out for when selecting one!

Can someone also give some insight into the gas consumption - k's per tank / $ per fill up.

Thanks in advance :)

I'd say get an 05, they are the best 430's.

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/usedmatrix/UsedMatrix for specs.

Just research your prices, check out autotrader.com and craigslist.org (I'm a big fan of craigslits) The one thing you should look out for is people trying to rip you off just because it says Lexus. The local Toyota dealership in my parts has a 2000 Lexus for $19,999!!!!! They've had it for probably +1yr too hahahahah.

Other than that these things are tanks.

Thanks for the feedback - I am looking at spending between 19,000 - 23,500. At this price range with the Autotrader in Ont I am limited to 01-03. So from your feedback the 01 is a no go,,,problems with that year? As for options I am pretty flexible, always the more the better but is there any common problems with the above years options?

Also what are you guys spending on gas per tank / k's?

Thanks Again :)

I've owned my 01 Ultra for close to 2 years (2nd owner) & have had only one problem with it (annoying problem with the Mark Levinson amplifier that works intermittenly when the temperature drops below 20 degrees - works fine after car has warmed up though). It has just over 119K on the odometer & the only things I've had to do is change the oil (synthetic) & rotate tires every 5,000 miles.

I just did the 90K service (timing belt/water pump & a few other misc things) and the 120K service (trans fluid change etc.) which was a little spendy, but well worth it. I also just put new brakes (front & rear) on, so it should be good to go for another 90K.

I don't know what 'problems' that blacktop is refering to, but I haven't had any problems what so ever. There have been some posts for the air suspension, but that too seems to be a hit or miss issue - again, mine has worked flawlessly so far (even with living in Minnesota with all of the salt that gets used for the winter roads).

I agree with 01 Ultra. I have had my '01 LS430 for almost 3 years and have not had a single problem with it. I too have the Ultra Luxury package with every gizmo under the sun and they all still work. My first real repair of any kind was the CHMSL bulb that burnt out a couple months ago. It just had a new set of brake pads put on it and will probably need tires in another couple months; but any car requires these items.

It's not like a Mercedes where the first year can be a real headache; the '01 LS430 was still top of its class in initial reliability. There are a couple small issues that TSB's came out for but these are mostly related to things rattling; Lexus seems obsessed with noise. There was a TSB for a groaning noise in the steering column but other than that nothing huge to worry about. Also mine was a late model '01 so it may have had some of these issues fixed already. Also bear in mind that the engine, transmission, and many major systems of the car are evolutions of the previous 95-00 series cars so most of the kinks were worked out long ago.

At this point the maintenance history will be more indicative of future reliability than any intrinsic design flaws. The '04 models have 2 recalls; one for a fuel pump and one for transmission (it gets replaced) so if you pick a car from that year make sure those issues have been addressed. They also have additional features like bluetooth, an upgraded nav system, smart key, revised steering bushings etc. but aside from the 6 speed transmission they are mechanically almost identical to the earlier years.

Other than that there's really not much to worry about except cosmetic issues and wear and tear. They are fantastic, well built sturdy cars and I must say even after 3 years I still enjoy driving it as much if not more than the day I bought it.

If you want nightmare check out the benzworld forums for the first year of the 00-06 S-Class. Air suspensions dying, command systems shorting out, sounds bad to say the least.

I would shop around and see what models and options are out there; also have the car inspected by a dealer or mechanic before you buy. But if find an '01 with a good maintenance history and no major problems no real reason to stay away from it unless you find an '02 or later that you like better.

:)

I've owned my 01 Ultra for close to 2 years (2nd owner) & have had only one problem with it (annoying problem with the Mark Levinson amplifier that works intermittenly when the temperature drops below 20 degrees - works fine after car has warmed up though). It has just over 119K on the odometer & the only things I've had to do is change the oil (synthetic) & rotate tires every 5,000 miles.

I just did the 90K service (timing belt/water pump & a few other misc things) and the 120K service (trans fluid change etc.) which was a little spendy, but well worth it. I also just put new brakes (front & rear) on, so it should be good to go for another 90K.

I don't know what 'problems' that blacktop is refering to, but I haven't had any problems what so ever. There have been some posts for the air suspension, but that too seems to be a hit or miss issue - again, mine has worked flawlessly so far (even with living in Minnesota with all of the salt that gets used for the winter roads).