P0770 - Torque Convert Solenoid?

Car: '99 Lexus ES300, 1MZFE VVT-i, 72xxx miles.

Problem:

VSC and VSC Off "idiot lights" come on, sometimes with Check Engine light, sometimes without. Disconnecting battery for 10 minutes clears codes for a few days, then they return.

P0770 seems to relate to the Torque Converter Lockup Solenoid or Shift Solenoid E.

My vehicle is shifting fine - I do not notice any hard shifts or lock-up problems. Overdrive works fine.

I flushed my transmission fluid (with the recommended stuff) less than 1,000 miles ago. No metal shavings in the drain plug, and it wasn't very dirty.

Local tranny shop wants $100 to tell me what's wrong, $300-something if I need a new solenoid. I'm a pretty competent do-it-yourselfer and would like to check this out myself if possible.

Any input?

Thanks a ton.

Peace,

Pete Zaria.

Come on guys, 35 views and a full day later and no replies?

I reset the ECU again and the codes have stayed off for about ~35 miles now. I suspect they'll come back.

I'm taking it to the tranny shop and paying $100 for the diagnostics tomorrow unless anyone can give me some input... Please?

Peace,

Pete Zaria.