Rear Windshield Washer Fluid

JAYONE

Hi, I recently purchased a 2000 lx470 with 46000 miles. I love this car! I have to admit I couldnt wait for this recent snowfall :) Well I tried to use the rear windshield fluid spray and it doesnt work. I do not know where the water is supposed to come from to find an obstruction. Can anyone help me figure this out, I have noticed that there is a empty space on top left of rear door, there is supposed to be something in that hole but is that the washer spray area? Anyway any help id much appreciated. Thanks, Id hate to have to go to a dealer for this.

Speaking for the 97's, I'm pretty sure it all (front and rear) comes from the pump and reservoir at the front of the vehicle. On mine, you can trace the hoses to the pump (small cylinder shaped object mounted on the drive's side rear corner of the engine compartment. The pump has one hose coming in from the reservior, one going out to the front two nozzles and one going throught the firewall (presumably to the rear nozzle).

When I bought mine a couple of month's ago, all the nozzles were clogged. I don't know if there is a recommended way of cleaning them, but I took a tooth pick and poked it in the nozzle to break it loose. Seems to work okay now. More of a stream than a spray though.

Does anyone know where to get an economical replacement pump/know what they cost? I think the seal in mine is busted from repeated use with clogged nozzles. When I spray the windows, the engine compartment gets a wash down too. Probably not exactly a two for one you're looking for.

Thanks,

Rookie

Uh...dealership?

The window washer squirter dealie is not something that I've typically seen as an aftermarket thing. Unless you want to hit the wreckers (like www.taprecycling.com), I'd think the dealership is the only place you're going to find a replacement nozzle.

Doug

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know where to get an economical replacement pump/know what they cost? I think the seal in mine is busted from repeated use with clogged nozzles.

I get my parts from my friendly neighborhood dealer -- well, he really doesn't live very close to me at all but I get great prices from him...

I also had problems with that pump, but not the same as you described. The diverter in the pump stopped working correctly. What ended up happening was that when I squirted the front windows, the back would squirt too. Then, after a while, only the back would squirt when I tried to wash the front.

As a temp fix, I swapped the hoses on the unit -- that worked temporarily. Since my LX450 was/is a CPO truck, I took it in for repairs -- all covered under the CPO policy. I recall the part being something like $50. Install's pretty straightforward.

Doug