Differential Service On 97 Es

I have tried to find this answer in my SM with no luck.

I just replaced the ATF fluid in my trans. I am assuming the front differential uses the same fluid. Is this true or is there another capavity that needs to be drained and refilled?

Thanks

I just replaced the ATF fluid in my trans. I am assuming the front differential uses the same fluid. Is this true or is there another capavity that needs to be drained and refilled?

Thanks

The diff USES the same fluid as the ATF. Filled via the fill tube but not drained together.

Thanks

The diff USES the same fluid as the ATF. Filled via the fill tube but not drained together.

This is contrary to what I was told on another ES forum. They said that ES300 had one drain plug but RX300 had two.

I guess I will look underneath. If there is one, then that answers it.

Thanks

This is contrary to what I was told on another ES forum. They said that ES300 had one drain plug but RX300 had two.

Problem is they are flat-out wrong. How do I know, I own a 98 (same ATF) and I have the FSM (looking at now)...Did you go to that other Lexus club, club-clueless....

Check out section AX–21 #19 on the FSM.

Problem is they are flat-out wrong. How do I know, I own a 98 (same ATF) and I have the FSM (looking at now)...Did you go to that other Lexus club, club-clueless....

Check out section AX–21 #19 on the FSM.

Thanks. Will do.

BTW=is that a 10MM hex nut in there?

Thanks. Will do.

Yup and it is tight..I use a cut 10mm wrench and a 10mm box end..

I was not being mad but I can't stand the other Lexus site. I still go out there and raz them up. Should take about 30 minutes to drain tranny and diff. Install new seal/filter and plug..Easy job and you will save a lot.

Oh, if you just drained you can drain the diff and it will jut lose whatever is in there. But by this time it as mixed the fluids..

Thanks. Will do.

I was not being mad but I can't stand the other Lexus site. I still go out there and raz them up. Should take about 30 minutes to drain tranny and diff. Install new seal/filter and plug..Easy job and you will save a lot.

Oh, if you just drained you can drain the diff and it will jut lose whatever is in there. But by this time it as mixed the fluids..

Just back from the Lexus dealer. Two drain plugs as you described. Pick up a crush washer too.

Do you think I can get a socket driven hex wrench in their?

Thanks for all the help.

Just back from the Lexus dealer. Two drain plugs as you described. Pick up a crush washer too.

Do you think I can get a socket driven hex wrench in their?

Thanks for all the help.

What did I tell ya! :)

Socket wise, I do not think so but if you had a nubby one, maybe. Could have been designed a little better but it could be much worse.

Thanks. Will do.

You may not like the other site, but for the RX300 forum it is fantastic, there are a couple of people there that are awlsome. LEXMEX being the winner. He posts everything with pictures and helpful info. Lot more technical info there also. Maybe your forum sucks, but I gain from both sites and posts help from either site when it is helpful to someone. Hey keep an open mind, I am several Ford sites too, and they each have their points, but helping and learning is what it is really all about.

You may not like the other site, but for the RX300 forum it is fantastic, there are a couple of people there that are awlsome. LEXMEX being the winner. He posts everything with pictures and helpful info. Lot more technical info there also. Maybe your forum sucks, but I gain from both sites and posts help from either site when it is helpful to someone. Hey keep an open mind, I am several Ford sites too, and they each have their points, but helping and learning is what it is really all about.

That is great but the management is $$^&* up. If Lexmex posts everything he has lots of spare time....Yes they have there "points" but many (not here) are one-sided, same BS, poor management (clueless) etc, hence club-clueless. But I do like how they pimp illegal lighting..nice ha.. I find the site very "kid like" but that is me. They are giving out wrong info as noted above. If you cannot give a simple drain plug count right, wow.

If you want to learn in my eyes, get the FSM and if you can "wrench" a little, you are well off then 80%.

That is great but the management is $$^&* up. If Lexmex posts everything he has lots of spare time....Yes they have there "points" but many (not here) are one-sided, same BS, poor management (clueless) etc, hence club-clueless. But I do like how they pimp illegal lighting..nice ha.. I find the site very "kid like" but that is me. They are giving out wrong info as noted above. If you cannot give a simple drain plug count right, wow.

If you want to learn in my eyes, get the FSM and if you can "wrench" a little, you are well off then 80%.

Ok, each to his own, here is a picture of the rear plug: post number 63

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread...0061&page=5

You know a lot of people like myself have a tremendous amount of experience on cars, and then there are those at least trying to make efforts to learn, and broaden their knowledge, so that hopefully the stealerships dont rape them when they walk in the door. That is why these forums are great, and lots of times the fixes come up that the dealerships cant seem to find or want to charge you for unnecesary parts replacers. have a great day

Ok, each to his own, here is a picture of the rear plug: post number 63

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread...0061&page=5

You know a lot of people like myself have a tremendous amount of experience on cars, and then there are those at least trying to make efforts to learn, and broaden their knowledge, so that hopefully the stealerships dont rape them when they walk in the door. That is why these forums are great, and lots of times the fixes come up that the dealerships cant seem to find or want to charge you for unnecesary parts replacers. have a great day

I agree people love the one-way internet forums.

So you are telling me that pix is on a ES, 97 model in an RX forum? I can't believe I clicked on a crappy link...I do not trust that site; people are telling him again wrong info..Great way to teach people...joke; nevemind the moron mod (DAVEGS4) over there.

:cheers:

no that picture is on a RX300, and has the same basic tranny, except when it has AWD. Does show the second plug for draining. A picture is worth a thousand words. have A GREAT DAY.

Just completed the service. As described, there is a second plug just back and to the left of the trans plug. Drained quickly, and fills through the filler tube.

M1 ATF in an all is well.

Thanks all.

PS-it IS tight in there.

first time heard about differential service on the ES. I have a 01, it should be the same.

two question:

1/ what is the benefit of change differential fluid? Didn't see it in the owner manual.

2/ where is the filler tube? it is the same one that you use to refill ATF? I drained and refilled my tranny awhile ago.

Thanks!

first time heard about differential service on the ES. I have a 01, it should be the same.

two question:

1/ what is the benefit of change differential fluid? Didn't see it in the owner manual.

2/ where is the filler tube? it is the same one that you use to refill ATF? I drained and refilled my tranny awhile ago.

Thanks!

answers I hope.

1/ Benfits is cleaner fluids and less wear/tear on tranny from diff wear. Think of it like a rear diff on a car or a front diff on a 4x4 truck. Or a front diff on a 4x4 tractor, or hyd unit on a tractor...I am running out of things here! :)Do not put much faith in manuals. Most tell where a seat belt is and the tires...

2/You are correct on the fill tube.

Yes, and if you use synthtetic ATF, in theory, gas mileage may improve slightly, esp if you use syn in engine and trans too.

I am not sure if using M1 or other synthetic is compatible with Toyota T-IV.

The only ATF that stated COMPATIBLE with Toyota T-IV is Mobil 3309.

Because of this, I have to go with Toyota OEM T-IV since Mobil 3309 is very tough to find and expensive.

I will drain the ATF and differential tomorrow if weather is good.

Thanks!

Yes, and if you use synthtetic ATF, in theory, gas mileage may improve slightly, esp if you use syn in engine and trans too.

I am not sure if using M1 or other synthetic is compatible with Toyota T-IV.

The only ATF that stated COMPATIBLE with Toyota T-IV is Mobil 3309.

Because of this, I have to go with Toyota OEM T-IV since Mobil 3309 is very tough to find and expensive.

I will drain the ATF and differential tomorrow if weather is good.

Thanks!

According to the owners manual for the 97 ES, Dexron 3 is recommended, not Toyota 4 oil.

I have 315,600 miles and i have been always drain from bottom of trans.

and refill from dipstick.

I am lost, where is 2nd (Differ.)drain plug??

See above, it is just behind and to the left of the drain plug for the trans.